Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide as Disinfectants

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use vinegar but never thought about peroxide with it. I will have to give it a try, thanks Ratton.

FryBoy

Check this site for more information: CLICK ME

They talk about using peroxide and vinegar and give some good hints on food safety and cutting boards.

It also links to this scientific paper on the subject: CLICK ME

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
"Can I mix the hydrogen peroxide and vinegar into one sprayer?"

The short answer is: EEK - No! The longer answer is: never mix hydrogen peroxide and vinegar together in one container. The resulting chemical, peracetic acid, can harm you when mixed together this way if you accidentally create a strong concentration in this fashion. Peracetic acid also has entirely different characteristics and properties than either hydrogen peroxide or vinegar. Additionally, we don't know if peracetic acid kills the same group of pathogenic food-borne bacteria when used this way as a spray - it very well may not.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
both are very good cleaning agents. i use vinegar in my laundry along with sometimes i use pinesol.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I use vinegar but never thought about peroxide with it. I will have to give it a try, thanks Ratton.

Even though you are referring to cutting boards, I think that I should add:
Just be careful where you use hydrogen peroxide because it can act like bleach and lighten whatever you put it on. Use caution.Eliot

As for our butcher's block and cutting board, my mom always scrubbed it with steel wool. My grandpa cleaned it with lye soap. I would not recommend the lye--it is too caustic but that is how restaurants cleaned way back in the day. Lye soap and very hot water.