Chipotle Smashed Potatoes

Deelady

3 large Yukon Gold potatoes or other yellow potatoes (6 to 8 oz. each), peeled and quartered
3 large sweet potatoes (6 to 8 oz. each), peeled and quartered
1 3-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
1 canned chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 1 to 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
3 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained and crumbled
Snipped fresh chives (optional)

Directions
1. In large saucepan, cook covered potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender; drain. Mash with a potato masher or electric mixer. Add cream cheese, butter, salt and black pepper. Mash the potato mixture until combined. Gently stir in the sour cream, chipotle chile pepper and adobo sauce.
2. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole or an 8x8x2-inch baking dish; spoon in mixture.
3. Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through. Top with bacon. Garnish with chives, if you like. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

lesley

3 large Yukon Gold potatoes or other yellow potatoes (6 to 8 oz. each), peeled and quartered
3 large sweet potatoes (6 to 8 oz. each), peeled and quartered
1 3-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
1 canned chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 1 to 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
3 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained and crumbled
Snipped fresh chives (optional)

Directions
1. In large saucepan, cook covered potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender; drain. Mash with a potato masher or electric mixer. Add cream cheese, butter, salt and black pepper. Mash the potato mixture until combined. Gently stir in the sour cream, chipotle chile pepper and adobo sauce.
2. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole or an 8x8x2-inch baking dish; spoon in mixture.
3. Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through. Top with bacon. Garnish with chives, if you like. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

I'd like to make this, I havent seen Adobo sauce here in England, maybe I can try the London markets...is it made of tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, salt, and spices?
I could adlib. It does sound good :tiphat:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I'd like to make this, I havent seen Adobo sauce here in England, maybe I can try the London markets...is it made of tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, salt, and spices?
I could adlib. It does sound good :tiphat:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Chipotles-En-Adobo-Chipotles-Chili-in-Adobo-Sauce-166242

To make a simple version of chipotles in adobo sauce, combine seven to ten medium dried chipotle peppers with stems removed, one third cup sliced onion, five tablespoons cider vinegar, two cloves of garlic, a quarter cup of ketchup, and a quarter teaspoon of salt with three cups of water. Simmer all the ingredients over very low heat for an hour to an hour and a half. If you wish, you can puree the sauce before serving.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-adobo-sauce.htm

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is a recipe for it Lesley.

Adobo Sauce
10-whole chipotle peppers (or smoked, dried red jalapeño peppers)
1/3-cup onion, diced
5-tbsp cider vinegar
2-cloves garlic, sliced
4-tbsp ketchup
3-cups water
¼-tsp cumin
½-tsp oregano
½-tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a pan
Cover and cook over a very low heat for 1-2 hours until the chiles are very soft and the liquid has been reduced to about 1-cup

Will keep several weeks in the fridge in an airtight container

NOTE: Put in blender and process for a thick sauce

*** A chipotle is simply a mesquite smoked red jalapeño, I've also use dried chipotle before though I make them myself as I grow jalapeño.

Deelady

I found this recipe for you that maybe you could try.

Chipotles en Adobo - Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
This is the way to make your own "canned" chipotles en adobo 1 packed cup (2 ounces) stemmed chipotle chiles
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
4 tablespoons catsup
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put all ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook for 45 minutes, or until a sauce-like consistency is achieved.

To make in a microwave, reduce the amount of water to 1 1/4 cups and place all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and seal well with plastic wrap. Cook the mixture on HIGH power for 2 to 3 minutes and allow it to sit for 3 to 5 minutes. CAUTION: hot steam escape when uncovering the bowl. Let cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

Chipotles en Adobo Purée
Transfer the chiles and their sauce to a blender or food processor and blend to a smooth purée. Strain through a medium-meshed strainer. Let cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

Makes 1 cup.