Garlic Potatoes

lesley

I've been cooking these for years, they're definately my favourite, & if you turn it over on a plate to serve, you have a potato cake. We have them at BBQ's as they are great with chicken.

garlic-potatoes4.jpg

Serves 4
Prep Time 15-20 mins
Cooking Time 50mins approx
Ingredients

• 1.5 kg 3lb potatoes (see Cook’s tips)
  • 140g/5oz Butter
  • 3 Large garlic cloves, crushed
Method

• Melt the butter, and add the crushed garlic, stir, leave to one side
  • Peel and thinly slice the potatoes (see Cook’s tips)
  • Pour a small amount of the butter, garlic mixture in an oven proof bowl and brush round(see Cook’s tips)
  • Layer the sliced potatoes on top
  • Then brush with the butter, garlic mixture
  • Keep repeating the layers of butter and potatoes
  • Finish with the butter on top
  • Bake in a hot oven 220°C 425°F Gas mark 7 for approx 50 mins
  • Halfway through the cooking time, press the potatoes down firmly with a potato masher
  • At the end of he cooking time, insert a skewer to check if completely cooked, they should be soft all the way through, and nicely browned and crispy on top
  • If not, just put them back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes
  • When cooked, place a plate on top and carefully turn the bowl over
Cook's tips

• Any potatoes will do, but King Edwards are the best, as they’ve got a good resistance to bruising and slugs
  • I use a mandolin for really thin slicing
  • You can either use a large pyrex bowl or a roasting dish of your choice. If you use a bowl, you can turn it over when cooked and cut it as a cake. Alternatively, dish up straight from the roasting dish
Equipment

• Large pyrex bowl (2 pints/1Litre)or roasting dish
Shopping List

• 1.5 kg/3lb potatoes
  • 140g/5oz Butter
  • 3 Large garlic cloves

chowhound

Wow. That's it? Those potatoes look gorgeous!
What a simple recipe. When I saw the pic I was expecting some kind of glaze was put on them.
Great recipe and photo, Leslie. I'll be making these.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ditto the Wow!

Great recipe and photo! I'd like to try these, too!

Thanks, lesley!

Lee

lesley

What a simple recipe. When I saw the pic I was expecting some kind of glaze was put on them.

Hi,
No glaze, they just turn out like this, we used to do them in a casserole dish, but you use more butter, & to be honest they are just as good cooked like this.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

It's Lesley, Chow. Leslie is my XDW and I certainly don't want to get the two of them confused. :yum:

You're right, what an easy recipe and it looks scrumptious AND I LOVE garlic. I might try this tonight as a side with a tuna steak.

Where do you find King Edwards potatoes, Prince Edward Island?

chowhound

oops, my bad on the misspelling.
And your bad on the joke (lololol) ;^)

Funny you should mention tuna steak, Buzz. I just watched AB cook one on a chimney starter and it looked great. I was thinking of picking one up to try. Never had before.

lesley

It's Lesley, Chow. Leslie is my XDW and I certainly don't want to get the two of them confused. :yum:

You're right, what an easy recipe and it looks scrumptious AND I LOVE garlic. I might try this tonight as a side with a tuna steak.

Where do you find King Edwards potatoes, Prince Edward Island?

I hope you do try them tonight...Prince Edward Island far to far to go, just use large potatoes...less to fiddle with :hide2:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
DW is having dinner with the gals tonight so I'm going to give garlic potatoes a whirl. Can't wait.