Gullah/Geechee Foods?

crewsk

I need some help finding recipes for Gullah and/or Geechee recipes that are kid friendly. My daughter's class is having their first Gullah/Geechee Education Celebration on May 8th. The Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation is coming to speak to the class. Anyway, my daughter's teacher wants the parents to bring in food. I have searched online for recipes, but I've seen what the kids in her class eat & they are extremely picky. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

simplicity

I'm somewhat familiar with the Gullah culture, more in music than food. I haven't hear of Geechee. I googled Gullah recipes and got a bunch of hits. Suggest you start there.

Good luck.

AllenOK

Ok, dumb question time.....
What is Gullah/Geechee? Is that some American Indian tribe I'm not familiar with?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The Gullah are the African Americans who live in the Low Country region of South Carolina and Georgia and speak Creole as well as other similar dialects. Their food is what I believe Geechee refers too which led to dishes like gumbo, okra soup etc.

AllenOK

OIC.

I probably had access to a cookbook that would have had many of those type of recipes, back when I lived in Michigan. Can't remember the name of either the book or the author, but it was something along of the lines of "Low Country Cookbook". I know "Low Country" was part of the title.

crewsk

Sorry y'all, I should have specified what it was! This explains more about it than I ever could. http://www.nps.gov/guge/historyculture/index.htm Joe is half right Gullah & Geechee people are both decendants of enslaved Africans. I didn't know what it was either until I looked it up after Savannah came home from school talking about it.

Simplicity, I did google it & came up with some great recipes. The only one that was even remotely kid friendly though was cornbread.

simplicity

crewsk - sorry you couldn't come up with much. The Gullah people had sweet potatoes. I'd probably go to the store and buy sweet potato chips, then have visions of 30 kids showing up for class with 30 bags of chips in hand.:wink:

I'm sure someone here can be a little more creative than that.

crewsk

LOL! I've been having visions of all the kids showing up with cornbread! I am so happy that my kids aren't very picky eaters. Half the kids in her class wouldn't eat the spaghetti casserole I took last week for the family feast because it had pepperoni in it.