Revealed! Iron Chef Secrets!!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
HA!!! I finally have found something on how the Iron Chef is filmed and how it works! Check it out.....

MSNBC has officially uncovered the secrets that make Iron Chef America work - and unlike the Amateur Gourmet, they don't seem to have been required to sign a nondisclosure agreement. The "secret" ingredient is chosen from a list of five possible ingredients that are given to the chefs prior to the filming of the show. While they don't generally know the actual one that will be used, the time they are given to plan certainly does not make it a surprise. To get the effect of a surprise, some scenes - including the reveal of the ingredient - are subject to multiple takes. The actually cooking time is still strictly held to 60 minutes, even though some ingredients may be simmering or nearly ready to use when the clock starts.
The judging is probably the most mysterious aspect of the show. It is shown in only a 10 minute segment of the program, but the judges are actually given 90 minutes - 45 minutes per chef - to have the dishes presented to them. The dishes are judged on originality, taste and presentation and with 10 to 12 dishes for each judge to sample, 90 minutes goes by quickly. The chefs are given time beyond the 60 minutes to plate all of their dishes, as only one of each is required to be plated by the time the buzzer sounds.
Does Iron Chef lose any of its appeal from these revelations? Not for me. I always suspected that the "secret" ingredients were less than closely guarded. The show is still a great way to watch real chefs doing what they do best, not to mention that the brilliant commentary of Alton Brown keeps the show both entertaining and educational.
It's sort of like finding out the Tooth Fairy isn't real: it always seemed slightly unlikely, but you're not going to turn down the $5 you found under your pillow in the morning. I'm not changing the channel yet.

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/02/23/iron-chef-americas-secret-ingredients/

Locutus

I've watched the American and Japanese versions a few times. I will watch if I like the ingredient, and what they're doing with it. ;)

I recently watched Cui Wuchen from China perform miricles with Chinese cabbage! :chef::chef::chef:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I catch the Japanese versions more than the American and do enjoy them. I watch them more for the knife technique than the cooking stuff though. Most of the cooking they do is stuff made with ingredients that would be almost impossible for the average home cook to get or afford so kind of worthless there.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I USED to prefer the Japanese version and now I enjoy the American version. They really made some great changes!

Locutus

I watched one last week with Cui Wuchen. She was using the world's largest cleaver like a paring knife! :unsure:

OMG! I never realized that anyone even made a cleaver that big. It looked like it must weigh 10 pounds! :shock::shock: