1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
1 4-1/2-ounce can chopped jalapenos (about 1/2 cup), drained
1/2 teaspoon salt , or to taste
2 1/4 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (about 7 ounces), divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup mild salsa
4 scallions , thinly sliced, for garnish
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion for garnish

Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Combine squash, onion, chiles, jalapenos, salt and 3/4 cup cheese in a large bowl. Sprinkle with flour; toss to coat. Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish and cover with foil.

Bake the casserole until it is bubbling and the squash is tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Spoon salsa over the casserole and sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese.

Bake, uncovered, until golden and heated through, 20 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with scallions and red onion.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finally got around to making this, and it was a great way to spice up an otherwise bland vegetable.

Guts' Creamed Corn Casserole thread http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14991 which has similar ingredients, reminded me to post the pictures.

I think Barb forgot to list the onion in the recipe - I chopped up a large Vidalia. Also, I added some zucchini that I had laying around, waiting to be used.

I served this with slices of a turkey breast that QBro had injected with Cajun Creole Butter marinade and smoked. Excellent pairing!

Lee

Attachments

• Spicy squash casserole.JPG
    Spicy squash casserole.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Spicy squash, plated.JPG
    Spicy squash, plated.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member