Sour Dough Starter?

Derek

Banned
Does anyone live in New York? I would like to make a sour dough starter for my bread's and pizza I want to mother a sponge using new york water, All I need is 2 gallons, That's should should be enough to started and have the nyc taste for a few years to come. And I don't mean bottle water I mean tap water.

Thanks Crazy Derek.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
The flavor in sourdough doesn't come from the water. It's the natural yeast and bacteria in the air. Using the NY water to make and replenish the sour dough would probably be in such low percentages as to make no flavor impact at all.

Derek

Banned
The flavor in sourdough doesn't come from the water. It's the natural yeast and bacteria in the air. Using the NY water to make and replenish the sour dough would probably be in such low percentages as to make no flavor impact at all.
On the contrary my friend, Water plays a big part when your starting the starter, But I forgot about the feeding. I guess I would use Michigan water and go from there.

By the wat From "ALL the cooking shows" they say use ncy tap water for breads, pizza when you can.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I made my starter from this recipe on Breadtopia.com. It came out very good using only airborne yeast beasties in Mentor Ohio. I don't think there is any airborne yeast in Michigan, due to the bad state of the economy. (just kidding)

Derek

Banned
Hahah Thanks Joe, I've been on the site a few times and I really like it.

By the way your right because of my flatus :)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Hahah Thanks Joe, I've been on the site a few times and I really like it.

By the way your right because of my flatus :)

What the hell is a flatus? I can figure out most misspellings, but this one has me stumped.:confused::confused:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Oh! You mean flatulence. I'm not up on the medical abbreviations of bodily functions. BTW, TMI!