What to do with old brown sugar???

simplicity

I bought a box of brown sugar a couple of years ago. Obviously I don't often use it. What's left in the box is hard as a rock.

Does it deteriorate?

If not, how can I soften it?

Or
Should I just throw it out?

chowhound

I asked this question a long time ago and was told to put it in the microwave to soften it. It works. Heck, I've boughten "fresh" brown sugar that was hard as a rock.

pugger

if it solidified so that you can't break into crystals - toss it. Otherwise, I break it up & use. We don't use it often so afraid we've been in the 2 year vintage a couple of times w/ the brown sugar.

Very least - use it in brine mix for soaking pork. Just used to brine pork loin Saturday even/Sunday. You can use w/ salt to brine just about anything. :thumb:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Just a tip for storing brown sugar, if you happen to have a food saver with the canisters or a mason jar, you can put the brown surgar in that and store it... it will be soft and keep for years!

GrantsKat

I bought brown sugar a while back, it came in a plastic ziploc-type bag and is still soft.....sorry I have no advice on how to soften yours!

suziquzie

Kathe posts!!!!
:)
LOL, i was gonna say, if you're chow you could just have a cage match with it and beat the crap outta it.....

You may be able to melt it down if you use it in a candy recipe or something where you need to boil your brown sugar.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Kathe... tried to give you rep points... but I'm all repped out for the day! Oh yea... there will be a congrats thread soon!

simplicity

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the microwave first. I don't need it until tomorrow afternoon. If it tastes or looks funny I'll make a quick trip to the store.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It's hard because the moisture is gone. Zapping it in the microwave will work or you can also put it in a ziplock bag with a wedge of apple overnight to soften it...just don't forget to take the apple out the next day.

msumom

I saw on Paula Deen's show to put a piece of bread in your bag or box of brown sugar to keep it moist. I haven't a hard hard sugar since then.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I also got some that has hardened. I plan to use it in something I cook, such as candied yams or in a sweet potato pie.

To combat this constantly annoying problem, I now make my own brown sugar. All you need is molasses and regular sugar. I make just enough for the recipe that I'm doing so that there is no waste! Works every time!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I keep my brown sugar in the freezer mainly because i don't use it very often. but it is still good. When you go to use it next and it is hard, just take it out of the freezer and pound it with what ever you feel is handy and it will break up. I use a rolling pen..

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sorry' I forgot to tell you all;

Start off with a bit over a cup or 1-1/2 cups plain sugar. Most cookie, cake or other recipes usually call for about 1-1/2 cups of brown sugar anyway.

Add the molsses a little bit at a time until your desired color is obtained. For lighter, use less molasses, for darker, use more. You'll get the hang of it as you do it more often.

Thanks.

Shermie

Site Supporter
No problem.

I think that the supermarkets charge too much for the stuff anyway, and this is one of the many ways to economize. Most of us usually have plain sugar and molasses "in da house" anyway, so why not put them to good use?