FREE! Corel Paint Shop Pro X

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know how good it is compared to PSP 9 as that was the last version actually done by Jasc before selling out to Corel. Not being a fan of Corel as I know their history with other programs they have purchased an ruined over the years (Wordperfect comes to mind) that I refuse to buy from them. I am downloading the free copy though and hope it not their usual gave of free download for 30 days then dies.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I will I have it downloaded already at 56K in this day of high speed that is as fast as their server goes. At any rate I will install it later tonight and give it a spin over the next couple of days.

Like I said I used to beta tested for the old JASC that invented the program and started using it under windows 3.1 years ago when it was shareware. They didn't up grade except about every 2 years and when they did they added features that worked pretty much bug free. Paint Shop Pro 6 though 8 is what I did most of my painting using and the last version I beta tested was 9 which I still use to this day. Shortly after version 9 was released they sold it to Corel and every 6 months they come out with a new version for additional costs even for registered users. They also raised the price into the range of much more expensive programs but PSP 9 was as good as Photoshop in some ways and better in others though I've not used PS for a few years at all due to its cost with even its upgrade cost costing over a $100 bucks. For free though I would grab it if you can stand the download time for if nothing else a simple to use photo editor with fairly decent features.

FryBoy

I don't know how good it is compared to PSP 9 as that was the last version actually done by Jasc before selling out to Corel. Not being a fan of Corel as I know their history with other programs they have purchased an ruined over the years (Wordperfect comes to mind) that I refuse to buy from them. I am downloading the free copy though and hope it not their usual gave of free download for 30 days then dies.
Actually, Joe, Corel has done a pretty good job with WordPerfect. I was a Beta tester on WPWin12, and it was a great program, but now I'm using WP Office X4 on my new computer, and it's even better. I won't use Word under any circumstances, in part because it's from Micro$oft but mainly because it's a POS.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
WP was a much better program before Corel purchased the same for several other problems they purchased. Now Painter was pretty good for awhile after they purchased it and now is very slow. I'm just not a fan and my first dealing with them as a company was purchasing 500 copy site license for Dade County Public Schools and before my order arrived they came out a later version and would neither allow a free upgrade nor exchange the soft ware we purchased for the later version. I consider that in this case plain stupid but you are sure entitled to your opinion. They will never get another dime out of me for anything no matter how good it is at this point.

I also use Word and love it. I have Office Professional and have had it since Office XP came out. My company runs on it using Access to build the software, Word for reports and Excel for spreed sheets. I'm really a big fan of Microsoft in general but then I've been messing with PC since the first Apple kit and have sure owned a bunch by may manufacturers and different operating systems over the years. I also worked with IBM System 34 with cobol, RPG II and assembly for a few years.