Need a Mazza Ball soup recipe.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm not sure why but my favrite haunts are not showing
Mazza Ball soup recipes at all.

so I'm asking you guys and galls for a little help, I'm just looking for a basic recipe, Nothing fancy.

Your link gave a basic recipe, but I'm sure Pie Susan will confirm that and possibly have another. I watched an episode of Alton Brown where he made Matzo Balls, and according to him, chicken fat (schmaltz) is the key ingredient to the best Matzo balls.

I believe that the Matzo meal has a recipe on the package as well.

Derek

Banned
Your link gave a basic recipe, but I'm sure Pie Susan will confirm that and possibly have another. I watched an episode of Alton Brown where he made Matzo Balls, and according to him, chicken fat (schmaltz) is the key ingredient to the best Matzo balls.

I believe that the Matzo meal has a recipe on the package as well.
Bobby flay said the same thing with his throw down show, I was never allowed to try ti at home for some reason, But now since I'm a a bachelor and on my own. I can eat anything I want.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I use the recipe on the Manischewitz box when I make matzoh balls. However, I chill the batter before using it. I believe that it key and I just make quenelle using a tablespoon. If you roll balls you will find up with heavy sinkers rather than a light fluffy matzoh ball.

I make a chicken soup with only carrots, celery and a onion (and salt and pepper to season)

This is very basic--but very good.

Derek

Banned
I use the recipe on the Manischewitz box when I make matzoh balls. However, I chill the batter before using it. I believe that it key and I just make quenelle using a tablespoon. If you roll balls you will find up with heavy sinkers rather than a light fluffy matzoh ball.

I make a chicken soup with only carrots, celery and a onion (and salt and pepper to season)

This is very basic--but very good.
Thanks Ps, I can't find mazto meal anywhere.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Then, you can't make matzoh balls it is an essential and integral ingredient. Make chicken noodle soup instead or chicken and rice. Both are excellent, too!

Derek

Banned
Ask if they have a section for Passover foods.
Will do Fryboy, And thanks for the advice, I thought I ask for matzo and said it was a juish flour, That's probably why I got some strange looks.

I didn't mean anything by it either, I just thought it be easier for them to find it.

FryBoy

Look for Matzo MEAL:

51231G0IirL._SS500_.jpg

Matzo Meal is just finely ground Matzos, so if you can't find Matzo Meal, look for whole Matzos (they look like giant saltine crackers) like these, and crush them or grind them up until they look sort of like corn meal:

240px-Matzos.jpg

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have never known anyone to grind matzohs to make matzoh meal and feel that the matzoh balls would not come out right this way. They would be too dark in color for one thing and probably taste burnt.

buckytom

Grill Master
However, I chill the batter before using it. I believe that it key and I just make quenelle using a tablespoon. If you roll balls you will find up with heavy sinkers rather than a light fluffy matzoh ball.

that's the ticket, susan. if they float, then you've made them right.

and yes, schmaltz is a key ingredient, for flavor. matzoh is bland.

buckytom

Grill Master
schmaltz is liquefied/rendered chicken fat.
take the whitish fat from the skin of chickens, add salt and cook it down over low heat in a frying pan until the solid bits become like a cracklin' (called gribenes), and the remaining liquid will be schmaltz.

most people like to add a chopped white onion to the pan when rendering it for extra flavor.

eat the gribenes with rye toast that's been dipped in the schmaltz for a treat!

Derek

Banned
schmaltz is liquefied/rendered chicken fat.
take the whitish fat from the skin of chickens, add salt and cook it down in a frying pan until the solid bits become like a cracklin' (called gribenes), and the remaining liquid will be schmaltz.

some people like to add a chopped white onion to the pan when rendering it for extra flavor.
Can I just buy chicken fat?

And thank for clearing that up BT.

buckytom

Grill Master
if you had troble finding matzoh, i doubt you'll find a market that sells just chicken fat for schmaltz. you can always ask a butcher to save some for you to buy.
the best thing to do is save it up every time you make a whole roast chicken, or when you trim the excess from chicken pieces, especially thighs. put it in the freezer in a sealed container until you have about a pint or more then chop it up and cook it down. since it has very little moisture, schmaltz will last a long time.

Derek

Banned
if you had troble finding matzoh, i doubt you'll find a market that sells just chicken fat for schmaltz. you can always ask a butcher to save some for you to buy.
the best thing to do is save it up every time you make a whole roast chicken, or when you trim the excess from chicken pieces, especially thighs. put it in the freezer in a sealed container until you have about a pint or more then chop it up and cook it down. since it has very little moisture, schmaltz will last a long time.
That's a good idea, And thanks again for the help BT.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
^I often do the same thing, Unconundrum. I think it is a bit healthier and one still gets the flavor. I also cook mine twice as long 40 minutes. Your recipe is identical to mine. :)
Not surprising since our backgrounds are so similar.

Derek, if you look up my chopped liver recipe you will see directions on how I learned to make schmaltz. Like some folks use the leftover bacon grease for cooking, others use schmaltz in a similar way. It is wonderful in mashed potatoes and my dad use to love it on rye bread with kimmel (caraway seeds) and a touch of salt.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
omg..i loooove shmatlz. last night i used the fat from baked chicken in the mashed potatoes. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

CharlieD

Sorry to tell you folks, but I make the best matzoballs.

Susan, there is nothing wrong with grinding your own matzo for the balls. Where do you think they do it in the factory? I do it quite often, and the balls are great. Color might have some dark in it, but if you break burnt parts off it will be just fine. I love shmaltz in matzo balls, but use it only during passover, other wise i do not like the idea of exra cholesterol. Also I disagree about rolling the matzo balls. I never hard ones and I always roll them. It all depends on how you make the batter(sp?).

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Charlie: That is exactly why--I think it is far easier to buy it and not have all the dark burnt spots.

I know some folks put club soda in their matzoh ball recipe but my mom never did that. I have also found that those that are rolled into balls tend to be sinkers and heavy. Those dropped from a spoon, from my experience, have been fluffier. Also, I think chilling the batter makes a big difference.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I use a disher, and just drop them into boiling water, and agree fully with Susan, gotta chill them. Of course, therein lies the differences. If the batter/dough is thick enough to "roll", they're gonna be denser. If they're closer to a batter consistency, they'll be lighter. That said, using the disher and the looser mixture, I get a lot of free floaters in the pot that are essentially waste.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
look for whole Matzos (they look like giant saltine crackers) like these, and crush them or grind them up until they look sort of like corn meal:

240px-Matzos.jpg

except IMHO, matzo tastes better than saltines.. we use to spread some butter on them,sprinkle with garlic powder and broil until butter melted... mmmmm so good...lol