Please be careful !!!

smoke king

Banned
Since I last logged on this morning, I've been standing in the street watching my neighbors (3 houses down) home burn to the ground. Nothing left, nothing to save. They all got out, furbabies included thank God, but for today, they are refugees.

Talking to the Police & firemen, it seems that they left a barbecue grill unattended in the garage while they went in to eat their Easter dinner. It took almost 25 minutes for the FD to respond (I'm sure that will be scrutinized-we're not in a rural area by any stretch) and by then, it was too late. So sad....and they'll be reminded every Easter for the rest of their lives.

I have resolved to check my Smoke detectors, move my Weber away from the house, and get rid of any unnecessary flamables in my garage. I hope all of you will do the same-that could be any one of us standing in the street wrapped in a blanket.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Ouch. Thanks for the warning. It could happen to anyone but what a way to ruin a holiday.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
thank you for posting this... i still dont know why people continue to Q inside. i know we all get the urge to cook outside(especially me) but a little common sense goes a long way. i hear these stories every year and it always make me sad.

my heart goes out to the family that lost everything especially on a holiday.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes that is sad and I have both my grill and smoker on my back porch however when I'm using them I never only walk away long enough to get another beer if longer my wife watches them. I also have a fire extinguishers on the porch, kitchen, bed room, hall way and office. I also have them checked regularly.

Biskit

Man! That's too bad! I don't know what it was about, but three different times I heard sirens going through town. Sounded like FD.

I'm rather afraid of fires starting, myself. We do all of our BBQ'ing outside where nothing can catch, we watch the grill at all times. I guess it's just something that's been etched in my brain by my dad.