wearing latex gloves?

Derek

Banned
Alton Brown says to wear latex gloves every time you mess with poultry, I don't see why if you wash your hands with hot & soapy water?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is where I disagree with most on food safety. The next thing you know if you bought it at the store and brought it home in your car you will need to sterilize your car. Really simply wash your hands with plan old soap and water rinse and dry them should be enough. If it is so bad you need rubber gloves to protect against some bio contamination then simply don't buy the crap, kind of like cooking with lead pans.

Derek

Banned
Here is where I disagree with most on food safety. The next thing you know if you bought it at the store and brought it home in your car you will need to sterilize your car. Really simply wash your hands with plan old soap and water rinse and dry them should be enough. If it is so bad you need rubber gloves to protect against some bio contamination then simply don't buy the crap, kind of like cooking with lead pans.
That's what I though, I think he was showing you with the latex gloves because he had too for the show?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with Joe. Further, what is the point of wearing gloves unless you immediately take them off the second you’re done handling the chicken, and then immediately WASH your hands before going back to the food station…..at which time you need to put a new pair of gloves on? It’s rather pointless if you ask me……unless you’re worried about your manicure.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The only time I've put on latex gloves is cutting up habanero peppers. These can and will blister your fingers and god forbid you touch your eyes with the oil on your fingers. It is also almost impossible to wash off and only goes away with time, lot of it. Anything milder than the habanero doesn't seem to bother me at all and a little soap and water will take off most of it, followed buy a little alcohol on the hands when done again followed by soap and water.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The only time I've put on latex gloves is cutting up habanero peppers. These can and will blister your fingers and god forbid you touch your eyes with the oil on your fingers. It is also almost impossible to wash off and only goes away with time, lot of it. Anything milder than the habanero doesn't seem to bother me at all and a little soap and water will take off most of it, followed buy a little alcohol on the hands when done again followed by soap and water.

Agreed!

Derek

Banned
Never had a problem cutting up habenero's However I do have coughing fits when I cut up habs but then they go away.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've always had serious sinus problems and now being a smoker since I was 16 years old even my lungs are beginning to bother me a bit. So I have coughing fits if the wind blows in the wrong direction so I can relate. I some time ware a surgical mask when grinding pepper regardless of the type.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
About Habaneras, when I had problems with them I noticed it was because I was washing my hands constantly which removes the natural skin oils. Once that layer of protection is gone, the Habanero oil easily seeps in and burns. And God forbid you have a small paper cut or something!!! :w00t:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

agreed

agreed

Never had a problem cutting up habenero's However I do have coughing fits when I cut up habs but then they go away.

i have coughing if the peppers are good. from the time i start with a pile of habs to the time i grind them to cooking them..cough cough cough..lol

About Habaneras, when I had problems with them I noticed it was because I was washing my hands constantly which removes the natural skin oils. Once that layer of protection is gone, the Habanero oil easily seeps in and burns. And God forbid you have a small paper cut or something!!! :w00t:

wear gloves always, dont buy the cheap ones

se we all agree..lol

Love2"Q"

i like to wear them if i am battering or breading food to
fry .. one hand in latex .. the other wrapped around
an ice cold aluminum can ...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
agreed

agreed

i have coughing if the peppers are good. from the time i start with a pile of habs to the time i grind them to cooking them..cough cough cough..lol

se we all agree..lol

Agreed!

:lol: :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My problem with habaneros is the oil that gets on my fingers from them while handling. It stay there not matter how many times soap and water is applied. It just doesn't seem to make that much difference only a day or two will make it go away. Now it doesn't blister me but having only one eye, if I rub it you can image what that is like. Other than that it doesn't bother me but flat pisses off my wife if I touch her with my fingers she is super sensitive to them except eating them, go figure.

Derek

Banned
I'm immune to that I guess? And I haven't had an issue with the paper cuts yet, And I don't want too LOL.

agreed

agreed

se we all agree..lol
Then I mustbe getting so awesome habs, they seem to clean out everything and make my running nose gone LOL.

i like to wear them if i am battering or breading food to
fry .. one hand in latex .. the other wrapped around
an ice cold aluminum can ...
Ah you haven't mastered the wet and dry hand technique yet

My problem with habaneros is the oil that gets on my fingers from them while handling. It stay there not matter how many times soap and water is applied. It just doesn't seem to make that much difference only a day or two will make it go away. Now it doesn't blister me but having only one eye, if I rub it you can image what that is like. Other than that it doesn't bother me but flat pisses off my wife if I touch her with my fingers she is super sensitive to them except eating them, go figure.
Try to use Germ X after you wash your hands, That's what I do.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Try to use Germ X after you wash your hands, That's what I do.

Just remember that the pepper burn is oil based, and many cleansers won't remove that kind of oil. Alcohol is a good way to cut it though, and Joe has already mentioned that. And Joe has also mentioned how dang resilient that stuff can be. It just hangs on.

Derek

Banned
Just remember that the pepper burn is oil based, and many cleansers won't remove that kind of oil. Alcohol is a good way to cut it though, and Joe has already mentioned that. And Joe has also mentioned how dang resilient that stuff can be. It just hangs on.
Sorry about that Kelt, I should read it before I post, I'm guilty of that at times.

Oh wow I forgot I have pickled habenero's in the fridge YUMMMMMMY.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry about that Kelt, I should read it before I post, I'm guilty of that at times.

Oh wow I forgot I have pickled habenero's in the fridge YUMMMMMMY.

Oooohhhhh! I'll take one. How many you got?!?!?! :thumb:

Derek

Banned
Oooohhhhh! I'll take one. How many you got?!?!?! :thumb:
Not sure how many comes in a jar, but I have around 5 or 8 left.

Then if I want more I can make some pickled habs, I got 3 cases in the freezer.

I don't get it, I can eat gutted out habs all day long, but when it comes time to actually try a hab I'm still scared.

AllenOK

I am constantly washing my hands at work. The only time I wear gloves is if I have a cut on my finger, and need a bandage, or if I'm dealing with a food product that I don't really want on my skin to start with, like capsaicin, beer batter, fried chicken breading, etc.

Other than that it doesn't bother me but flat pisses off my wife if I touch her with my fingers she is super sensitive to them except eating them, go figure.

Just don't rub your hand over the toilet seat after prepping some peppers!

Lime juice really freaking hurts as well. Small cuts and lime juice DO NOT MIX! I've even been squirted in the eye with lime juice once, making a limeade. That FRAKKING HURT!

Derek

Banned
I am constantly washing my hands at work. The only time I wear gloves is if I have a cut on my finger, and need a bandage, or if I'm dealing with a food product that I don't really want on my skin to start with, like capsaicin, beer batter, fried chicken breading, etc.

Just don't rub your hand over the toilet seat after prepping some peppers!

Lime juice really freaking hurts as well. Small cuts and lime juice DO NOT MIX! I've even been squirted in the eye with lime juice once, making a limeade. That FRAKKING HURT!
Allen, I've all ready had jalapeno sauce in my eye once and it wasn't funny.

I was tearing up something bad for a half hour to 45 minutes and my eye looked like some one gave it a shiner.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I wear the gloves purely for selfish reasons...I don't like the way it feels. However if I didn't have the gloves at home because I jack them from work, I wouldn't wear them.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Coming from an environment of chamberpots and outhouses, wood-burning stoves and fresh-killed everything, I don't worry about getting a little chicken essence under my fingernails........ as has been mentioned, plenty of hot, soapy water cures a bunch...........as has also been said, I keep latex gloves in the house for handling chilies, and I keep a few pairs in the cars for pumping gas.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Absolutely, they are getting carried away with precautionary kitchen measures lately........ why worry unduly about contamination when practices in the fields and processing plants are the culprits lately.

Even had a member over at that "other site" tell me that my recipe, calling for sealing canned foods in a hot-water bath wasn't really canning....... wait, let me go find the quote...........

Sorry, but "open kettle" processing is not "canning" and since no effort is made to kill bacteria spores that could grow in the sealed jars, they are not safe. And just arbitrarily adding hot water bath times, without actually being tested by a food scientist, is not safe either.

......so now I need to hire a scientist when I put up stuff ??
Granny is doing the proverbial rolling over in her grave right now...........