Half and Half

Caitlin

I've read about using half and half in a few recipes already. Could somebody tell me what that is please?

Thanks,
Caitlin

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It's Half whole milk and half cream. You can buy it right in the dairy section near the milk.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
in order to get 1/2 & 1/2 north american style.... you take single cream and add a little bit of milk.

Caitlin

in order to get 1/2 & 1/2 north american style.... you take single cream and add a little bit of milk.

Thanks for this, Jeff! I've never seen half and half over here so was just gonna make my own with literally half of each. Thanx again!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've done that also Catlin when I had both whole milk (the only kind I use) and cream on hand and not half & half, it really is the same as long as it is 50/50 ratio. Most recipes that call for it you could probably substite whole milk or cream for it too if you liked that better.

Caitlin

I've done that also Catlin when I had both whole milk (the only kind I use) and cream on hand and not half & half, it really is the same as long as it is 50/50 ratio. Most recipes that call for it you could probably substite whole milk or cream for it too if you liked that better.

Good to know, Joe! Most folks don't realize the huge difference between products available in the US and products available in the UK. When I lived south of Aberdeen, Scotland (where I hail from) it wasn't a problem coz of so many US food stores...but here in England is a different matter.

Thanx for your input!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's what I've done too when I'm out. Half whole milk and half cream...equal amounts.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Good to know, Joe! Most folks don't realize the huge difference between products available in the US and products available in the UK. When I lived south of Aberdeen, Scotland (where I hail from) it wasn't a problem coz of so many US food stores...but here in England is a different matter.

Thanx for your input!

Ah a Scotsman, don't the Irish call you guys leprechauns. :yankchain: Just joking I have a good friend in another group that is from Scotland, he now lives in New Jersey, really a great guy. I was in the UK in the early '80 and went through Scotland and Ireland. We went to a golf course there and the pro shop had a sign and cigar box with money in it and the sign said they had gone to lunch just leave the money in the box. That just struck me as it would never happen in this country. Loved the UK except for the food. :wink:

Caitlin

Ah a Scotsman, don't the Irish call you guys leprechauns. :yankchain: Just joking I have a good friend in another group that is from Scotland, he now lives in New Jersey, really a great guy. I was in the UK in the early '80 and went through Scotland and Ireland. We went to a golf course there and the pro shop had a sign and cigar box with money in it and the sign said they had gone to lunch just leave the money in the box. That just struck me as it would never happen in this country. Loved the UK except for the food. :wink:

LOL Scots folks are very trusting. And no, we call the Irish Leprechauns, the English Sassenachs and the Americans ...:whistle:

And if you didn't like the food you were eating all the wrong things, and eating out instead of home cooking no doubt. :wink:

Oh and btw...I'm not a Scotsman, I'm a Scots Lass...otherwise known as a Quine. :flowers:

Caitlin

Thanks, I'm finding all this really useful. :)

Caitlin

Half & Half = 12% fat (range 10.5-18%)

In the United States, half and half is a mix of 1/2 whole milk and ½ cream, typically used as a cream in coffee. Half-and-half does not whip, but it can be used in place of whipping (heavy) cream in many recipes for less fat cooking.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_Condiments/CreamDefinitions.htm
Chart of different fat contents and meanings.

Thanks for the link Wart!

It's also interesting to know y'all typically use half and half in coffee...most Brits use whole milk or the cream of the milk.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
LOL Scots folks are very trusting. And no, we call the Irish Leprechauns, the English Sassenachs and the Americans ...:whistle:

And if you didn't like the food you were eating all the wrong things, and eating out instead of home cooking no doubt. :wink:

Oh and btw...I'm not a Scotsman, I'm a Scots Lass...otherwise known as a Quine. :flowers:

Oops, handles are sometimes hard to tell from. :wink: Love the answer though and yes I was eating out as I was there on business not pleasure. London after 94 countries is still the only place I ever got ill from food, Fish and Chips too go figure. :ohmy:

Caitlin

Ha! I knew you'd been eating out, Joe! And London is not the place to buy Fish n Chips...next time try Jellied Eel or Pie n Mash in London LOL. Up North is THE place for Fish n Chips...n don't forget the mushy peas to go with.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm still a bit leery of a place that deep fries Mar's bars, just can't see that and I won't even mention haggis. :yum:

Caitlin

I'm still a bit leery of a place that deep fries Mar's bars, just can't see that and I won't even mention haggis. :yum:

A little secret...we only deep fry Mars Bars for "gullible" American tourists, we don't eat them! :whistling:

And haggis is no longer sheep's innards...just oatmeal and stuff.

Now Black Pudding on the other hand...ewwwww don't ask if ya don't already know!

:flowers:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oh I know what Black Pudding is and managed to hold it down as well as much of the food around the world.

Oh and I love your sense of humor Lass, that is the one thing I found in the whole of the UK when there. :mrgreen:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I've read that in the UK it's labeled "Half Cream". So you might try looking for that...

Caitlin

Oh I know what Black Pudding is and managed to hold it down as well as much of the food around the world.

Oh and I love your sense of humor Lass, that is the one thing I found in the whole of the UK when there. :mrgreen:

Humor is how we get by. We say you can laugh or cry...but we're such a tiny island, we'd be water-logged if everybody cried. :dizzy: Besides, we're a nation of mickey-takers...not greengrocers LOL!