Onion Ring Batter?

Derek

Banned
Ok I've found this recipe at www.about.com under onion ring batter, and I was wondering if I can use normal onions and butter milk instead of milk for this recipe?

* 3 large Spanish onions or sweet onions
* 1/2 cup flour
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 egg, well beaten
* 1/2 cup milk
* cooking oil for deep frying

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
You can do anything your heart desires. Let us know how it turns out.

(Do you EVER follow directions?:yum:)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sure you can any typical batter will work and it is still an onion ring if the onion is cut into rings. I used milk, beer or seltzer in my fried onion or shrimp batters. It simply comes down to the type of breading I want on them. :wink:

Now if you slice the top off an onion, flatten the root end and start slicing from the top down without cutting through the root you have a blooming onion. You can also cut the onion in to petals and fry them in the batter of your choice.

Derek

Banned
Sure you can any typical batter will work and it is still an onion ring if the onion is cut into rings. I used milk, beer or seltzer in my fried onion or shrimp batters. It simply comes down to the type of breading I want on them. :wink:

Now if you slice the top off an onion, flatten the root end and start slicing from the top down without cutting through the root you have a blooming onion. You can also cut the onion in to petals and fry them in the batter of your choice.
Thanks Joe, I don't know which way I want to go?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are a couple I use from time to time

Beer Batter for Fish, Shrimp & Onion Rings

10 minutes 10 mins prep

Great for a fish fry. Mushrooms and other veggies go great too, as well as chicky tenders, and squares of marinated tofu. Experiment and have fun! Makes enough for

1 pound of seafood or what ever you are using

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup beer (can substite club soda etc)
1 egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups

10 minutes 10 mins prep

Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl using a fork.
Beat beer, egg and oil together in a separate bowl.
Stir into flour mixture until well blended.
Batter should be pretty smooth and moderately thick.
Dip fish, shrimp, or onion slices in coating and deep-fry in hot oil that has been heated to 350 degrees, until it becomes golden.
Drain, and serve while hot and crispy.
This recipe also works well with chicken tenders and vegetable pieces; whatever you like to coat with beer batter.

Tempura batter:

2 cups rice flour
1 teaspoon chile powder (or your own pepper blends)
1 quart cold soda water

In a large bowl, mix flour and chile powder. Whisk in soda water until a pancake batter consistency is achieved.

I've also used panko, coconut, bread crumbs as well as corn starch in various combinations for different batters.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
:wink:

these are very time consuming but so worth the work when you do it like Joe said.

i use my thumb as a guide on the thickness of the petals i want to make.

Like Outback Steakhouse Bloomin Onion
4 Vidalia or Texas Sweet Onions
Batter:
1/3 Cup Cornstarch
1 1/2 Cup Flour
2 tsp. Garlic −− minced
2 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
24 oz. Beer
Seasoned Flour:
2 Cup Flour
4 tsp. Paprika
2 tsp. Garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
Mix cornstarch, flour, and seasonings until well blended. Add beer,
mix well. Cut about 3/4" off top of onion and peel. Cut into onion
12 to 16 vertical wedges, but do not cut through bottom root end.
Remove about 1" of petals from center of onion. Dip onion in seasoned
flour and remove excess by shaking. Separate petals and dip in batter
to coat thoroughly. Gently place in fryer basket and deep−fry at
375 to 400 1 1/2 minutes. Turn over, and fry an additional 1 1/2 minutes.
Drain on paper towels.
Place onion upright in shallow bowl and remove center core with circular
cutter or apple corer. Serve hot with Creamy Chili Sauce.

Creamy Chili Sauce:
1 pint Mayonnaise
1 pint Sour cream
1/2 Cup Chili sauce
1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is pretty close to the exact recipe I got from the Manager at our local Outbacks Jeff. I cut mine in half then half again until I get the desired thickness I want and after one does a few you can get pretty quick at it. The only difference I got was some 1 tsp of powdered mustard in the dipping sauce Jeff. The batter was almost exactly the same though except they use garlic powder instead of fresh but not that big a deal really.