ISO Pudding recipe for cooking class.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I'm looking for a pudding recipe for my year 8 class (12/13 years old). I want to be an unbaked cold pudding or a hot pudding from the stove top as the oven is in use. I was thinking in terms of a cream pie or similiar.

In the previous year they do a simple vanilla cheesecake (decorated with fruit) with a biscuit crust. In the next year they do a banofee pie, again with a biscuit crust and making the toffee filling.

I'm looking for a recipe that comes in between these in terms of skill.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Here's a plain vanilla pudding that I use for my banana pudding recipe:

1 cup of sugar
6 tablespoon of corn starch
1/2 teaspoon of salt
4 cups of milk
6 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of vanilla

In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in the milk one cup at a time. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir 1 minute. Gradually pour half of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, stir. Pour that mixture back into the saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute. Turn off the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla. Refrigerate until chilled.

It would work fine for a cream pie. Just make a graham cracker crust, pour in the hot filling, chill, and top with whipped cream.

If you want to do a banana cream pie, just slice some bananas, mix with a little lemon juice, arrange on the top of the graham crackers and top with the pudding and whipped cream.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
What about teaching them how to make mousse? They will learn to melt chocolate, whip cream and fold.

lilylove

Butterscotch Pudding! Betty Crocker ...by way of Grandma... don't worry recipe has been change to protect the innocent.

2/3 cups packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8th teaspoon salt
2 cups milk ( or cream)
2 egg yolks * beat before adding
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

mix up your cornstarch and your salt.

Mix in your milk.

Cook over med. heat... keep stiring ...don't quit even for a second.
Cook until it gets nice and thick and it starts to boil.

Let it boil for one minute.

Take one half of the hot mixture and stir it into the beaten egg.

Add that mixture back into the hot mixture.

Boil for one more minute.

Remove from the stove and add your butter and your vanilla.

Mix well and then pour into small bowls.

Eat warm or at room temp.

Refrigerate any leftovers.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Why not take Mama's recipe and go FULL BLOWN Banana Pudding. It changes your life and is to die for!! :thumb:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I had a bad experience with homemade pudding growing up....my mother ended up scrambling the eggs in it and all I could taste was eggs. Bleh. I think she ruined my enjoyment of homemade pudding for life :(

lilylove

Oh that's sad... homemade pudding is one of my happy childhood memories! :) Grandma made it with love.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Have you tried making it yourself rickismom? If you temper the eggs that won't happen and it is so much better than the box stuff.

FryBoy

My mother made many excellent pugginds, including blanc mange (white food), a simple cornstarch pudding that's nearly impossible to screw up. It's really good over things like stale cake. Really!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
This would not work for this coming cooking class because this is for a baked pudding but the kids might find its history interesting especially because it is American.

Durgin Park Restaurant is a famous restaurant that opened in 1827 (My friend Andy worked in the kitchen briefly). See
http://seniortravel.about.com/od/us...edom-Trail/Durgin-Park-Restaurant--Boston.htm

They are famous for their Indian Pudding recipe which Jan and Michael Stern published in one of their books.
http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/2003/140160028X_4.htmlhttp://seniortravel.about.com/od/us...edom-Trail/Durgin-Park-Restaurant--Boston.htm