Mixers question 3

Derek

Banned
Ok, I'm a bit confused on how to use a mixer.

Ok, I do understand you put the dry ingredients in first then you set the mixer on slow then you add the wet ingredients and set it to medium fast.​

But this part confuses me, If I'm making my basic pizza dough, I just follow the directions as normal, And do the same with the bread?​

gadzooks

When mixing dough, I would start with the dry ingredients on slow, and go to medium-slow with the liquids. At higher speeds, rheostat-controlled mixers don't have the torque for mixing dough.

Derek

Banned
When mixing dough, I would start with the dry ingredients on slow, and go to medium-slow with the liquids. At higher speeds, rheostat-controlled mixers don't have the torque for mixing dough.
Hey man, If you re read my post I've said I new this part al ready and I was wondering if any recipe will work for the mixer?

gadzooks

I'm sorry....it looked like you said you were shifting to medium-fast in your post. My mistake. As to your question, yes.

Derek

Banned
I'm sorry....it looked like you said you were shifting to medium-fast in your post. My mistake. As to your question, yes.
No problem mate, It happens.

Ok I how do I make a white bread recipe double batch? I'm still learning to double up or cut back on recipes as needed and its a little hard for me to do.​

gadzooks

All same-same...double all your ingredients. The kneading time will be a bit longer. Watch the consistency of your dough. You want nice elasticity, and the dough to come away from the sides of the bowl. Divide the dough for the final rise.

Derek

Banned
All same-same...double all your ingredients. The kneading time will be a bit longer. Watch the consistency of your dough. You want nice elasticity, and the dough to come away from the sides of the bowl. Divide the dough for the final rise.
Yup, I've made dough before and I've kind of familiar with it.

Wart

Banned
I'm assuming your using a KA.

What size & power. Makes a difference in double batching. For some reason 16 ounces of flour (single batch) in a 6 qt KA isn't enough to make it combine or knead well at all. Thus all my bread is "double batch".

While custom is to put wet on top of dry I've found dry over wet works better with scraping of hte bowl during initial "mixing" with a China Brand spatula with the machine running.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Derek, if you're talking about this one:

I guess it's not a a pro 600 but it's a rivel and its free :)

502957569_d9Nin-L.jpg

502957508_kVH2c-L.jpg

502957551_rdT85-L.jpg

502957532_AtjSD-L.jpg

I don't know that I would use it for mixing any heavy dough like a yeast bread. Not even single batches. The motor may not be strong enough to handle it and you'll burn it up. If you are looking for a machine for bread dough and you don't want to spend the money on a good KA, I would suggest you get a bread machine and just use the dough function. You can pick them up pretty cheap nowadays and even cheaper in a thrift store.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The mixer is probably fine for regular use but bread dough is too hard on the motor of most mixers.

Derek

Banned
The mixer is probably fine for regular use but bread dough is too hard on the motor of most mixers.
Thank you Mama, I'll remember that, Now if I feel a little bit better today I will go ahead make some bread, I like to try your french bread recipe but I think it said butter milk right?

I would have to buy that tomorrow.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You must be thinking of the biscuits or hushpuppies. You don't need a mixer for either of those. No buttermilk in the french bread. Hope you get to feeling better.

Derek

Banned
You must be thinking of the biscuits or hushpuppies. You don't need a mixer for either of those. No buttermilk in the french bread. Hope you get to feeling better.
Maybe, I was looking at many many of your recipes,

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have to agree with Ma.

I killed 2 KA Pro 5 mixers inside a year with bread dough. Now I'm killing a 600.

This is exactly why leolady is steering me towards a used 5 quart hobart, Wart. Sometimes you can find them on ebay.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
The order ingredients are added to any piece of equipment is determined by what you are making. If you were making a buttercream frosting I'd never add the dry ingredients first:ohmy:.

When you make dough in a stand mixer you should proof your yeast first by feeding it - warm water, (sugar if it's for a bread)....some recipes call for the yeast and a small amount of flour to blended with a small amount of water. I would add the remaining flour, salt and a bit of olive oil next, followed by warm water.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

Not necessarily true....something like baking soda should never be doubled. I tried doubling cake recipes in the past and they rarely come out as well as individual recipes. The science involved in baking is so specific that simply doubling everything won't always yield the same results as making it twice.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Not necessarily true....something like baking soda should never be doubled. I tried doubling cake recipes in the past and they rarely come out as well as individual recipes. The science involved in baking is so specific that simply doubling everything won't always yield the same results as making it twice.
:applause::applause::applause:

If I had a nickel for everytime I tried to explain that baking is a science and that one can't simply double everything to make a larger cake. Sometimes it will work but not always. One really needs to read professional baking books to understand the formulae--Although Rose Levy Beranbaum and Shirley O Corriher also speak to this in baking books.

The same can be true of breads--sometimes less yeast can be used.