Asparagus Casserole

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Asparagus Casserole

2 cans asparagus (drained, reserve liquid) cut in one inch pieces
1 can peas (drained)
4 hard-boiled eggs thinly sliced (an egg slicer is best)
10 slices American cheese cut into one inch squares
2 cups cracker crumbs
Butter spray

SAUCE:
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups liquid (add milk to asparagus liquid to make 4 cups)
1 teaspoon salt
Make this sauce just like making gravy.
Using a heavy skillet melt the butter and add the flour mixing until all is moistened (but not browned). Slowly add the liquid and whisk to
prevent lumps. Add salt and cook until thick.

In a casserole dish, make 2 layers: Sauce, eggs, asparagus, peas, cheese,
again Sauce, eggs, asparagus, peas, cheese, ending with remaining sauce on top. Cover with cracker crumbs, spray lightly with the butter spray, and bake at 350 until it is bubbly around the edges and the crackers have browned slightly. (Bake about 30 minutes.)
Serves 8-10.

buckytom

Grill Master
cans???!!!

it's springtime. asparagrass crowns are once again peeking their tasty heads through the ground, only the lucky few of which will atain fern status instead of being snipped.

lol, but if my life were cut down in it's prime, i'd like to be layered with eggs, peas, butter breadcruumbs and cheese. thanks lt. :chef:

just curious: has anyone ever had freshly cut asparagus before? ya know, as in cut, carried into the house and immediately steamed.

it's like eating springtime, or the actual color green.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
just curious: has anyone ever had freshly cut asparagus before?

Matter of fact; On one of our first "dates", the warden took me into the fields around Billy Penn's old masion, snipping "wild" asparagus............... so neat !

Constance

We have an 80 x 10 foot bed that his about 14 years old, so we have fresh cut asparagus every spring. It's coming up like crazy, right now.