NCT Member Poll

I like the direction NCT is going? 2nd question: Romper Room was a good idea, to k

• Yes, NCT is going in a good direction

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • No, NCT is not the place I hoped it would be. Post why please.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Yes, I like the Romper Room idea. A place to let our hair down.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • No, I feel Romper Room takes away from NCT. If a post is bad then remove it.

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay folks. I would like your all's opinion on a couple of things.

I like the direction NCT is going?

yes
no

Romper Room was a good idea, to keep some stuff out of sight of guests?

yes
no

Please expand by posting a reply after you vote in the poll. The more we know how your feel, the better we can tailor the forum to the needs of our members.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have no problems with any of this forum, hence I post here more than the others that I belong too. Romper Room is not a problem for me either as I still have the ability to just not click or post to a thread, forum or what ever I might not have an interest in due to many reasons. For example I don't click often in the desert sections as I just plan have no interest in it any more.

Deelady

Yes over all I enjoy where NCT is going...do I think it could benifit from tweeking and improvment here and there, of course but what in life doesn't need that! I trust it will happen all in good time!

Yes I am for the Romper Room.....but just like any other section, tact and respect should still be a top priority.

Keep up the great work guys!!! :D :D

FryBoy

I think it sucks. I'm not offended by bad language or talk of sex or drugs -- I just don't give a shit how many people someone has ****ed.

Bottom line: the current direction is driving away serious foodies and the end result is a bunch of childish, boring posts that have nothing to do with the topic.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I love the way that NCT is!! The romper room may not be for everyone, but, they can just skip the threads IMO. As long as it doesn't get raunchy and cross the line of decency.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
What does 'your all's' mean?? Sorry, couldn't resist letting the english composition teacher out... Is that plural for you all? You realize, of course, that the word all is superfluous and redundant? Again, sorry...

What I like about Net Cooking Talk by Vera Blue

I enjoy talking to people about the food they are working with, the places they like to eat, the wine they drink with that food, and the people they like to serve it to. I see this joint as one big kitchen with the parlour attached, a decent fire place and a killer liquor cabinet.
I understood the impetus beind the recipe contest but frankly, a forum that is only posting recipes will not hold my interest for over long. I'm nosy by nature and a chatterbox. I must meet my daily requirements for gossip and idle chatter for my membership card in the human race to remain active.
I appreciate the candor and adult atmosphere. I like that I can say whatever is of a mind to roll trippingly off my manicured fingertips. I like having a balaced mix of recipes, instruction, nonsense, seriousness and friendship.
I like when people who initiate a thread actually remain active in that thread until it's run it's natural course.
I like that I don't see an awful lot of judgmental bullshit around here. If you want to eat processed cheese wiz who are we to stop you?

Yes, having the Romper Room (although I don't really care for that name...seems rather childish. From all I've seen thus far, the conversations in there are anything but childish. I rather like the term Hookah Bar, which implies people having conversations that are high out of their minds) is a wonderful idea. We all have ideas and thoughts on the current state of affairs. Assuming we can police ourselves fairly, I say let's have at it. There are rules to proper engagement in forums like that. Work within those parameters and all should be fine as wine.

Love2"Q"

i like this place .. i do not post as much as some but i am limited on time ..
but i do check the boards ..
i like the romper room .. although i can not stand the name ...
some of the threads that are cooking related seem to get off topic at times ..
but i like that .. it works well for my ADHD ...

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
There are two things that attracted me to this forum. One is the friends that I missed from another forum and the second is the freedom to be able to post without having to look over my shoulder. You can't please all of the people all of the time...it's just not going to happen. There are going to be arguments and disagreements just like there are in the offline world. The way I see it, if you have to start worrying about offending people when you post something, you might as well be back on the other forum and if that is the kind of environment you want...why did you come here in the first place?

As for RR...I think it's a great idea as long as people post what the thread is about...I don't see what the problem is. If you click on the thread knowing what it is about and then get all upset, well...that's kind of like asking a question and then getting mad because you don't like the answer...so don't ask the question and don't click on the thread.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I love the direction NCT is going. It’s growing wonderfully.

I’m torn about the Romper Room. Personally, I’m so open minded my brain gets cold when the breeze picks up.

But I can see how some wouldn’t like it. It does invite the potential to make threads that are soooooo far off base as to be unbelievable on a Cooking Forum. Chit-Chat is a great place to start a new thread and talk casually.

Romper Room seems to be inviting something a bit harsher. I like the idea of Romper Room being a landing ground for run away threads though. That way, threads don’t have to disappear or be closed unless personal attacks are involved. But I think Romper Room would be “safer” if it were Mod controlled. That is, remove the “Create A New Thread” option, and just let Mods move threads there that warrant it being there.

Imagine a guest comes by, sees the site, says hey I love it. They sign up and WHAM……RR smacks them. That could be rough. Plus, as Chow brought up, even if you don’t want to click the thread, the first few sentences appear when you drag your mouse cursor over it.

It’s really not a problem for me, but I can see how it could be a detraction from the site if not checked somehow.

So Yes (I voted Yes on both, but RR is Yes with stipulations), I like the Romper Room idea, but I think it would serve its purpose better if it weren’t open for creating new threads but instead caught other threads that went too far off the beaten path. Having RR “open” is just inviting things to derail themselves.

But really………it’s a tough call. It’s kind of like writing code. When you design a program, you have to ask yourself, how much should I include……if I give the user the ability to format their hard drive….is that a good idea? In the right hands, format is a powerful and needed tool (albeit not one needed very often), but it can easily lead to disastrous results if not treated with serious concern and respect.

As for letting your hair down…..perhaps you could make a sticky in the Romper Room that links directly to FF? And maybe on FF, you could make a special sub-forum just for NCT? That way, if some really do want to “go there”, then click the sticky and see what’s happening in the NCT FF sub-forum?

Love2"Q"

i would like to add this .. i am part of two or three forums that i actually
participate in .. most places like RR could be reduced to one thread ..
one genral thread that people could ask qeustions....
on the other hand .. i do not care for the prayer board ...
its not my thing .. i like most of the people who post heres online persona ..
but i do not know you .. and probably never will ...
so i tend to steer clear of that part .. but i am not going to quit
because of my belief that the interweb is a role playing game ..

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I like NCT, and as a growing entity I know it will evolve over time to become something different than what we see today. With the rapid increase in membership, the site is/was bound to go thru some growing pains, just like a gangly teenager getting used to his/her body and changing hormones. Eventually it will settle into a rythym as determined by the ownership & membership working collaboratively, but in the meantime there are those who will find that their expectations are not being met, or that they take offense at some of the content on the site. I hate to see this happen, but it's the reality of new and growing forums. I like the analogy of a marriage; If everyone got divorced at the first sign of trouble, there would be nobody married. Solid marriages are not perfect, but when both parties take the time to work through the problems and to mutually come up with solutions, the marriage becomes stronger. I believe that we need that dialog here, especially among people we have known from other sites, and who we respect and care for. I would hope people like jkathe and Mexico Karen would stick around and lend their opinions to Doc to help change things that they may not agree with. Things cannot change if everyone walks away at the first sign of discomfort. Share your feelings and make a difference, don't abandon us...please.

Romper Room

Personally, I don't like what it has become. I'm not a prude, but I think some things don't belong on a food forum, even if they are held in a private place out of the mainstream view. A place to bitch is one thing, but what I'm seeing today is crossing the line, IMHO. Let me also say that I don't condemn those who choose to participate in these discussions. As consenting adults they are free to talk about whatever they choose. I just don't see how any of that banter benefits anyone on NCT.

You asked for it, you got it...Toyota!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Here is my take on it:

I think things have become confused a bit in our direction, rules, what we allow, what the consequences of breaking those rules are, etc. I think this is showing itself in recent threads and posts.
The problem is, I think we are trying to give NCT too much responsibility on what happens, and not enough of members taking responsibility for what they do. I would personally like to see us keep the rules simple, and let members be responsible for what they choose to read or post.
Again, this is showing itself in recent threads. Instead of individuals taking responsibility for click on a thread, they want us to remove anything they don't like so they don't have to see it, and do it before they have a chance to find it and click on it and read it. That is backwards to me. The same goes for personal attacks, people are playing around stirring things up making personal attacks, but not taking responsibility or being held accountable for it. That is just wrong and the foot needs to be put down. Personal attacks have nothing to do with freedom of speech and it should not be tolerated.

Start with the general forum, this is any forum a guest can view. We should curb the language there, stay away from direct swear words but allow the alternatives. Can't say **** but can say frak or frik. Can't say ass but can say arse. Things like that. Then we list topics that are taboo in the general forum, topics are easier to enforce then complex rules designed to try and make everyone happy, that never works. Then we state that personal attacks of any kind are not tolerated.
Now, NCT is responsible for enforcing the rules, but the members are responsible for following them. If someone slips up from time to time and cusses, oh well. If it becomes a pattern, a gentle remind is issued. Personal attacks are dealt with swiftly as well. If they act surprised after getting in trouble, we can remind them they are responsible for their actions, they knew the rules so they knew it was coming. And if someone openly states they like to stir things up, or that they like to challange the rules and see how far they can push it, then push em out the door. We don't need that here anymore than other forums do.

Now we have a member section. There we allow swearing, and we list some subjects that are taboo in the general forum but are OK here. And no personal attacks. Again, we just enforce the rules, the members are responsible for following them. Also, if a member doesn't like the kind of stuff talked about in here, or take offense to the language, it is their responsibility to not go in there.
If they don't like those forums, remind them no one put a gun to their head and made them go in there. Personal responsibility instead of treating members like children and trying to control their every move. This has been our stance from the beginning, yet some don't seem to understand it, and in trying to make everyone happy I think we are loosing site of it.

We make it easy for members to know what area has what kind of content, then they take personal responsibility for avoiding those areas they won't like. If we do that, then in my personal opinion any gripping after that is just that, senceless gripping. We seperated

As for Super Site Supporters, I don't think a Lounge is working. Nothing happening there. Instead I had a replacement idea. Keep the Lounge open, but use it for including Super Site Supporters in on some of the decisions being made about the direction of the forum. Any member can make suggestions, but when the suggestion phase is closed it is still up to the the Mod Team and Doc to determine the best way forward utilizing those suggestions. I say include SSP's in that process as they now have a vested interest in the progression of the forum.

Should I duck now? LOL!

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
So, because I am unable to pay, I don't have any rights and not allowed in a "secret room"?
I think I have just changed my mind about all this.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I forgot, on thread drift: I have no problem with it (and add to it all the time myself!), I just think we should be more vigilant in separating threads out when it happens, in respect for the OP and what they originally wanted..

lilylove

You said...if I got it right. LET super site supporters help make decisions...

Might be a good idea.!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Exactly Trish. All members should be able to offer suggestions, I like that about NCT. But let SSP's step up a bit farther and include them in on the decision processes that are currently left up to the Mod Team and Doc to figure out.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here is my take on it:

I think things have become confused a bit in our direction, rules, what we allow, what the consequences of breaking those rules are, etc. I think this is showing itself in recent threads and posts.
The problem is, I think we are trying to give NCT too much responsibility on what happens, and not enough of members taking responsibility for what they do. I would personally like to see us keep the rules simple, and let members be responsible for what they choose to read or post.
Again, this is showing itself in recent threads. Instead of individuals taking responsibility for click on a thread, they want us to remove anything they don't like so they don't have to see it, and do it before they have a chance to find it and click on it and read it. That is backwards to me. The same goes for personal attacks, people are playing around stirring things up making personal attacks, but not taking responsibility or being held accountable for it. That is just wrong and the foot needs to be put down. Personal attacks have nothing to do with freedom of speech and it should not be tolerated.

Start with the general forum, this is any forum a guest can view. We should curb the language there, stay away from direct swear words but allow the alternatives. Can't say **** but can say frak or frik. Can't say ass but can say arse. Things like that. Then we list topics that are taboo in the general forum, topics are easier to enforce then complex rules designed to try and make everyone happy, that never works. Then we state that personal attacks of any kind are not tolerated.
Now, NCT is responsible for enforcing the rules, but the members are responsible for following them. If someone slips up from time to time and cusses, oh well. If it becomes a pattern, a gentle remind is issued. Personal attacks are dealt with swiftly as well. If they act surprised after getting in trouble, we can remind them they are responsible for their actions, they knew the rules so they knew it was coming. And if someone openly states they like to stir things up, or that they like to challange the rules and see how far they can push it, then push em out the door. We don't need that here anymore than other forums do.

Now we have a member section. There we allow swearing, and we list some subjects that are taboo in the general forum but are OK here. And no personal attacks. Again, we just enforce the rules, the members are responsible for following them. Also, if a member doesn't like the kind of stuff talked about in here, or take offense to the language, it is their responsibility to not go in there.
If they don't like those forums, remind them no one put a gun to their head and made them go in there. Personal responsibility instead of treating members like children and trying to control their every move. This has been our stance from the beginning, yet some don't seem to understand it, and in trying to make everyone happy I think we are loosing site of it.

We make it easy for members to know what area has what kind of content, then they take personal responsibility for avoiding those areas they won't like. If we do that, then in my personal opinion any gripping after that is just that, senceless gripping. We seperated

As for Super Site Supporters, I don't think a Lounge is working. Nothing happening there. Instead I had a replacement idea. Keep the Lounge open, but use it for including Super Site Supporters in on some of the decisions being made about the direction of the forum. Any member can make suggestions, but when the suggestion phase is closed it is still up to the the Mod Team and Doc to determine the best way forward utilizing those suggestions. I say include SSP's in that process as they now have a vested interest in the progression of the forum.

Should I duck now? LOL!

I completely agree with you Mav. The ONLY thing I see wrong with your postulation….and I only mean this in the strictest of “technical” ways and not personally at all…….is the way some members cruise the forum. Personally, all I do is login and click New Posts. That’s it. And I click that regularly to see updates.

The only time I get concerned abut the actual division in the sub-forums is when I want to post a recipe and I have to find what area it should be in. But mostly I click New Posts which means all sub forums get grouped as one, so there ends up being no division in content.

But again, I don’t really care. I can handle just about everything I’ve seen here and more. No skin off my back……although I do get a little bent over Food Snobs. But other than Food Snobs that say YOU’RE way of cooking and YOU’RE tastes suck, I really don’t mind much of anything. If I see a thread I don’t care for…..

29kupv4.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/29kupv4.jpg

The Alt+F4 code is a VERY powerful moderation tool! :yum:

My only problem is civility. So many who claim to know and respect civility really have no idea the meaning of the word. I mean, if someone posts I love Kraft Parmesan Cheese in the Green Can….but then someone says that stuff sucks, you should buy better cheese. WTF?

I know THEY have freedom of speech to say the Green Can cheese sucks, or this type of cooking is awful…..and I know the argument, if you’re afraid of the answer, don’t post the question. But REALLY……what in the world does it offer to a thread or the forum as a whole to simply post…..Oh, that sucks and I detest it. What? What good has that done. It’s a blatant and uncivil attack if you ask me, and that is the ONLY thing that really gripes me. Everything else is just water under the bridge, and sometimes rather interesting water at that. :biggrin:

Last edited:

lilylove

I like this site... I think it all comes down to choice.
There are threads that I like...games, jokes, recipes, cooking info.
There are threads that I glance at but am very careful with ...RR...

I have the choice.

I can say what I want..post what I want and YOU the reader have the choice to read or not. Perfect.

I agree that the titles of the threads should have a warning if they are risky in anyway.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I do the same thing, just click on new posts. But, before I will click on a thread title to view it, I will pass over it with the mouse to see the first couple of sentences, and then also look to the right to see what forum it is in.
The info is there, ya just have to stop for a second and check it out before preceding.

And hey, don't ya just love that green can??? LMAO!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I think thread additions may end up to complicated, where as having a place for them to be is easier. Then you just avoid the forum if you choose.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I do the same thing, just click on new posts. But, before I will click on a thread title to view it, I will pass over it with the mouse to see the first couple of sentences, and then also look to the right to see what forum it is in.
The info is there, ya just have to stop for a second and check it out before preceding.

And hey, don't ya just love that green can??? LMAO!!

Green Can huh? Personally.....

The Green Can ROCKS!!!!!

I love that stuff!! :lol: