a Wi-Fi security *TIP*

Y

YT2095

After doing a little bit of war driving with a Nintendo DS, Another security tip (other than the conventional ones) occurred to me.

in and amongst the list of SSID`s that I`d collected there were some that no real hacker (unless desperate) would even bother looking at, namely Printers and other Wi-Fi peripherals.
most have a company install their Broadband and never really think twice about the factory defaults that any hacker knows the passwords to and can recognise the SSID at 100 paces blindfolded!
(I use chemical formulas for all of mine, Case sensitive and includes numbers).

So... opening your browser and entering 192.168.*.* (you`ll have to mess about with the `*`s) you can then get in with your "admin" "admin" passy (or what ever the default is for yours) and change the SSID to something Printerish like Epson_Bubblejet or whatever...
if you have a Wi-Fi printer already (2 would look strange) there are Microphones and Cams that are Wi-Fi enabled too, if you live in a city it`s easier (wardrive around and have a look at what`s popular in the air), Isolated areas you need to think what wouldn`t look out of place.
use your common sense
wink.gif

buckytom

Grill Master
everyone around me uses polish names or words. :confused:

i can't even pronounce them, let alone want to hack them.

how do you write admin in polish?

but yes, yt, using caps mixed with lower case letters, and at least 1 number is best.

my wifi set up allows you, or rather instructs you to change the admin pword.

Y

YT2095

I`v renamed the SSID on my Wi-Fi router to a well known Printer, any casual hacker sniffing Wi-Fi packets will not know I have a Hub or any way in :D

Ronjohn

but yes, yt, using caps mixed with lower case letters, and at least 1 number is best.

A man from Poland goes to the optometrist who
shows the Pole a card with the letters,
C Z W X N Q S T A C Z Y.
"Can you read this?" the optometrist asks.
"Read it?" the Pole replies, "not only can I read it
but I know that guy!" :mrgreen:

Our wifi is not only completely locked down. It isn't even visible to the average setup. My wife works from home and got the "Super Deluxe Security Instruction Manual" from her IT department regarding how to set it up - Me? My PC has no wifi. Good thing too, thing is too heavy to keep moving! :bb:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have a wireless router and 4 laptops on it plus one wireless printer and one network drive. All have custom passwords and are assigned IP addresses by me not the router. All other IP's are turned off so you can't add anything to the wireless network automatically. I have to add it. The password is set to expire every 90 days or every time something strange happens like a hack attempt or some attempt to get thru the firewall.
All as security precautions.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

i think it is actually the same in polish..lol

coordinatore in italian
beheerder in dutch
administrador in portuguese
администратор in russian..lol
administrador in spanish
administrateur in french
διοικητής in greek
Verwalter in german

yah i was really bored..lol