Making Gravy a day early?

Derek

Banned
I'm getting ready to cook a heavy lunch for my family and I want to know if I can make the gravy a day early perhaps tomorrow?

I'm planing on making this for my folks.

1.Mama's Fired green tomatoes.
2.Hamburger covered in gravy w/ mushrooms.
3.Maybe some cornbread.

What do you guys think for the northerner!

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Why would you want to make the gravy a day early? It only takes a few minutes to make gravy.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Making gravy ahead is fine. What do you plan to make it out of?

It’s not hard at all to make the day of though. What most would do for Hamburger smothered in gravy (Salisbury steak) is to make your patties, and then brown them on medium heat on both sides. About 5 minutes a side.

This browning should release a bit of grease (depending on the cut/mix). Remove the burgers and keep warm. Add 1-2 tbsp of flour to the grease. Over medium heat, keep stirring to incorporate the flour and make a roux. Once the roux has turned a nice brown color (a shade or two darker than coffee with cream), add beef stock. Add a little at a time, and stir often. Keep adding stock until desired consistency has been reached. Once all the stock is in, the gravy is ready, so add your burgers back to the gravy, cover, reduce heat, and simmer or bake until done.

Derek

Banned
Why would you want to make the gravy a day early? It only takes a few minutes to make gravy.
My apartment gets afully warm and I don't feel like sweating when I'm cooking.

I could make the gravy the same day I suppose, but I could make it early in the morning.

Derek

Banned
Making gravy ahead is fine. What do you plan to make it out of?

It’s not hard at all to make the day of though. What most would do for Hamburger smothered in gravy (Salisbury steak) is to make your patties, and then brown them on medium heat on both sides. About 5 minutes a side.

This browning should release a bit of grease (depending on the cut/mix). Remove the burgers and keep warm. Add 1-2 tbsp of flour to the grease. Over medium heat, keep stirring to incorporate the flour and make a roux. Once the roux has turned a nice brown color (a shade or two darker than coffee with cream), add beef stock. Add a little at a time, and stir often. Keep adding stock until desired consistency has been reached. Once all the stock is in, the gravy is ready, so add your burgers back to the gravy, cover, reduce heat, and simmer or bake until done.
it's going to be used for fried green tomatoes and ground beef.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
If you're gonna have fried green tomatoes with gravy, you're gonna want a milk gravy. To 2 tbsp. of bacon drippings, stir in 2 Tbsp flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for a minute or so just to get the "flour" taste cooked out. Stir in 1 cup of milk, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.

Derek

Banned
If you're gonna have fried green tomatoes with gravy, you're gonna want a milk gravy. To 2 tbsp. of bacon drippings, stir in 2 Tbsp flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for a minute or so just to get the "flour" taste cooked out. Stir in 1 cup of milk, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
Just normal Milk, Or do I need butter Milk?

Also instead of green tomatoes since I've never seen them int he stores ever, Can I use red tomatoes?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmm……..personally, I take my fried green tomatoes plain……maybe a little ketchup. :shock:

I have heard of putting gravy on them, but it is Milk Gravy which isn’t what you’d use for Salisbury Steak.

Are you thinking of making this?

Or this?

Either one of those is suited to a beef stock and dark gravy. Not the kind of gravy that some put on Fried Green Tomatoes.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

What Mama said! :thumb:

But might I suggest changing to a Country Fried Steak as that goes better with Milk Gravy than ground beef?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
What Mama said! :thumb:

But might I suggest changing to a Country Fried Steak as that goes better with Milk Gravy than ground beef?

Keltins right country fried steak would be better. And just plain milk, not buttermilk for the gravy.

Just for the record, like Keltin, I like my fried green tomatoes plain (but no ketchup either).

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Just for the record, like Keltin, I like my fried green tomatoes plain (but no ketchup either).

I'm a ketchup freak and like to sneak a little every now and then! :biggrin:

Mostly plain, but I do indulge a little.

I....uh.......use a little ketchup on my Fried Okra as well! :oops: :lol:

Man, this thread has me wanting some Fried Green Tomatoes!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh, and I wouldn’t suggest using red tomatoes! They are too ripe and moist. Will fall apart rather quickly, the moisture would destroy the batter, and they don’t have the lovely bitter-sweet twang that makes Fried Green Tomatoes worth it all!

Maybe try Fried Okra instead?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
No, don't use red tomatoes! You need some good firm green tomatoes.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, So what should I do? We don't have green tomatoes and can't find them anywhere!

Any substitutions?

Make something else.

It’s like saying “I want to make Chicken Marsala, but all I have is beer and not Marsala wine”. You can’t make Chicken Marsala without Marsala wine. And without Green Tomatoes, you can’t make Fried Green Tomatoes.

If you want a fried vegetable, try Fried Okra.

If you want a good Southern Dish with a gravy, do Salisbury Steak with Mashed Potatoes, corn on the cob, and cornbread.

Or Country Fried steak, mashed potatoes, fried okra, and corn bread.

Or Cube Steak in gravy, mashed potatoes, fried okra (or green beans), rolls or corn bread.

Derek

Banned
Make something else.

It’s like saying “I want to make Chicken Marsala, but all I have is beer and not Marsala wine”. You can’t make Chicken Marsala without Marsala wine. And without Green Tomatoes, you can’t make Fried Green Tomatoes.

If you want a fried vegetable, try Fried Okra.

If you want a good Southern Dish with a gravy, do Salisbury Steak with Mashed Potatoes, corn on the cob, and cornbread.

Or Country Fried steak, mashed potatoes, fried okra, and corn bread.

Or Cube Steak in gravy, mashed potatoes, fried okra (or green beans), rolls or corn bread.
Thanks Kelt, I'm actually going to make this recipe from Mama's site.

http://www.mamas-southern-cooking.com/biscuits-and-gravy-recipe.html

Derek

Banned
That is a classic and excellent recipe!

But realize it is typically a breakfast dish. Breakfast for dinner is great, but you’ll want to go with grits, fried eggs, sausage links or patties, etc…..
They're going to be around for breakfest,lunch so I think her recipe will be fine for the time of day!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, then why don't you make a brunch? Make some Sausage, eggs, grits, biscuits and gravy.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That is a classic and excellent recipe!

But realize it is typically a breakfast dish. Breakfast for dinner is great, but you’ll want to go with grits, fried eggs, sausage links or patties, etc…..

That's scary! :ohmy:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
So is it safe to assume that the picture that I posted in your "I need presentation Judges" thread did what it was designed to do?

Derek

Banned
Well, then why don't you make a brunch? Make some Sausage, eggs, grits, biscuits and gravy.
I've tried grits once, and I didn't like them but I think my girlfriend at the time didn't know how to make them properly and I will go ahead and try them again....