Mary Ann Peeling A Potato

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Did y'all know about this way to peel a potato?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4W0qIPJmoo[/ame]

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Mary Jane would have been a better name for her character, if you know what I mean. wink wink wink Mother Superior.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
No, all she has done is the same thing that folks do to remove the peel from peaches, nectarines or tomatoes. They still need to be further cooked.

chowhound

Thanks, Susan. Fifteen minutes seemed like enough time, but seeing as how the potato was whole I wasn't sure. I do not think I will be giving this method a try.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
When you peel fruit, you don't keep them in the boiling water for 15 minutes. It is far shorter--a minute--then in the cold water and then back in the water if not all the peel comes off.

As for a potato, I have never boiled a whole potato in 15 minutes and have it be cooked all the way through. Normally when I want to make potatoes in a shorter period of time, I cut them in smaller pieces.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
In these days when green is in, she is spending the energy to boil waterr and the energy to make ice cubes. Both the boiled water and the melted ice are poured out. to do what a potato peeler could do more quickly.

I don't get it.

However, always good to see Mary Ann

AC

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
But AC, it is so much more fun to risk burning your fingers in hot water than cutting them peeling the potatoes!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I had not considered that Susan. LOL

Let's see, burn your fingers, yell scream, but, don't worry, in the next step, you can dunk those hot fingers in the ice bath. So, therefore since they are not hot any more, no harm done.

LOL

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I actually want the skin on the potato.

Ditto, or at least half of it depending on what I am making with it. I think french fries are the only exception that comes to mind right now where I don't want any skin on em at all.
Ever had those potato skin chips? Yum!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I like the skin left on as well. Baked, boiled, french fried, whatever. Neat trick anyway. never saw that one before. I always liked Mary Ann. Ginger wasn't bad to look at, but was dumber than a stick.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
You gave me an idea for dinner tomorrow! I have the taters and I am a bit stronger and more able to make things in the kitchen--at least for myself. Not yet up to baking for others.

chowhound

I always leave the skin on for fries, but when chunking up potatoes for stews, roasts and such, the skin needs to come off. Otherwise I find it falling off anyway and not lending itself to the dish.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I always leave the skin on for fries, but when chunking up potatoes for stews, roasts and such, the skin needs to come off. Otherwise I find it falling off anyway and not lending itself to the dish.

Most of my stews and soups I use red potatoes in em, might just be me but with the reds the skin doesn't seem to fall off. Using yellows yea I probably would peel them as you are right, the skin does tend to fall off when done that way.

homecook

I boil my potatoes that way when I make potato salad or home fries. I just cook them til done but not mashable (LOL) I usually use a paring knife to peel them. They normally cook for a good 30 minutes. It's the way I've always done it thanks to Babcia. I'll have to try this next time.

Barb