My .02

chowhound

You know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see stickies made on common threads.
I'm sure we all saw several threads get started again within the last couple weeks, and that happens. Without knowing the exact thread titles; Show me your pets, What do you look like, What do you do for a living, Same username?.... those kind of posts. I think if they were all merged and made a stickie, that might get rid of some of the duplicates from cropping up. Unless duplicate threads are a good thing.... Maybe they are because they get everybody posting in them again. I don't know the ins and outs of forums so I'm not sure. It just seems like they should all be one thread to me.

Hmmm?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Well, you don't want tons and tons of duplicates running around everyone. But then again, the purpose of a sticky is that it always stays at the top of the first page so it doesn't get lost.
Now, make a bunch of threads into stickys, well you end up with a long list of stickys then a long list of threads.... for now if you spot threads that you think are just duplicates of others started.. you can use the report post button and let us know. We can look at it, and if able merge them together.

chowhound

Well, you don't want tons and tons of duplicates running around everyone. But then again, the purpose of a sticky is that it always stays at the top of the first page so it doesn't get lost.
Now, make a bunch of threads into stickys, well you end up with a long list of stickys then a long list of threads.... for now if you spot threads that you think are just duplicates of others started.. you can use the report post button and let us know. We can look at it, and if able merge them together.

Good point. I've seen those forums, but I was thinking just the most common things that seem like they are always started over, like I mentioned. Still, I guess you have to draw the line somewhere...
And I certainly don't think it's "reportable" when someone starts a duplicate thread (lol).
I took a pic of a weird tree yesterday. At least weird to me... And I suppose I could post a whole new thread just to share it, or I could stick it in that photo thread, but you know how hard search works here. It took me forever to find the pet thread started a few months ago so I could post the link in the new pet thread :sad:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Oh we use the report post button for tons of stuff, LOL. Moves, dups, splits, merges, and on rare occasions to actually report a post!

Maybe we can do that on some of the more common and big ones like you said... but then really really large ones can be hard to sift thru as well... donno.

A weird tree thread would be cool... I got a pic of a weird tree running around here somewhere... looks like a face on it!

Maybe if we find a few threads, say four or five, that are real popular and often end up having similar ones running around we can sticky em at the top. I think as long as we limit it to just a handful that wouldn't be too bad.

See now we can use the report post feature and in the reason section mark it as a suggestion to be mulled over! LOL.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Just another take on sticking popular threads. I seriously doubt that many users will read a thread longer than three pages. They will add to it. In a photo thread, that is an "Oh Well" In the case of other content, I think the base message gets lost and a lot of "thread drift" happens.

Just my two cents

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It's gonna be! LMAO eventually everything will be up on the rules and guidelines sticky and all sorted out.
Think of this as the 'growing pains' period of the site. And I thank Doc for being patient with us, we have definitely bombarded him with tons of new suggestions!

chowhound

I understand growning pains, Mav.... I was here at the "rebirth", too ya know :wink:
I see others posting suggestions and just thought I might, too. Sorry if it's being taken too seriously. It was just a thought.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Good morning Fred - Any and all suggestions are welcome. As I said above, I had trouble finding which forum you were talking about. After reading the forum, there are several threads that should be moved.

There have been an incredible number of moves done and most likely a lot more to be done. The site will get there eventually. NCT has grown a lot and fast Those are pretty good numbers. I found NCT through you, so I know that you have seen the growth. As Mav said growth brings with it it's own issues.

chowhound

Good morning Fred - Any and all suggestions are welcome. As I said above, I had trouble finding which forum you were talking about. After reading the forum, there are several threads that should be moved.

There have been an incredible number of moves done and most likely a lot more to be done. The site will get there eventually. NCT has grown a lot and fast Those are pretty good numbers. I found NCT through you, so I know that you have seen the growth. As Mav said growth brings with it it's own issues.

Tell my old leather riding jacket that....
:lol:

Thanks Andy.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I understand growning pains, Mav.... I was here at the "rebirth", too ya know :wink:
I see others posting suggestions and just thought I might, too. Sorry if it's being taken too seriously. It was just a thought.

You were?? No.. I remember distinctly it was this guy Pacanis that invited me on over... :whistling:

Sorry, I hope I haven't implied in some way that your suggestions were not welcome! I thought we were just discussing it and trying to figure out what you were seeing as opposed to what we were doing to make sure we were on the same page.

:oops: