Pizza talk

Lefty

Yank
Here are some pizza facts;

October is National Pizza month in the US, so designated in 1987. Pizza is one of America's most popular foods, with approximately 69,000 pizzerias in the US!

To celebrate Pizza Month, here are some other fun facts about pizza:

* Pepperoni is the most popular pizza topping in America

* Anchovies are the least popular pizza topping in America

* Americans eat about 100 acres of pizza every day

* Pizza ranks as the most popular food with kids ages 3 to 11

* 3 billion pizzas are sold annually, that's 46 slices each for every man, woman and child in the country.

* 62% of Americans prefer meat toppings on pizza while only 38% prefer the vegetarian variety

* Thin crust is the most popular with 61% of pizza lovers preferring thin crust. 14% vote for thick crust or deep dish as their favorite.

* The world's most extravagant pizza can be found at Nino's Bellisima in New York City. The 12 inch pizza, topped with caviar, lobster, creme fraiche and chives, sells for $1000.
That's $125 for each slice. The pizza must be ordered 24 hours in advance, as the caviar has to be ordered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What are your favorite pizza toppings?

What are the weirdest pizza toppings you have heard of?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
What are your favorite pizza toppings?

What are the weirdest pizza toppings you have heard of?

Mushrooms, onions, peppers and of course... cheese.

Weirdest? artichokes and feta cheese... oh and pineapple.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Pepperoni, mushrooms, bell pepper. I sometimes will switch it up with meat balls or sausage but only one meat at a time for me. I've actually not had a slice of pizza in about 2 years now and can't remember when before that. I never could handle the large chain pizza joints pizza as it all tasted like card board to me.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I also prefer thin crusted pizza, never could get into eating the thick crusted stuff.

lilylove

Favorite...cheese, onions, and lots of mushrooms.
Artichoke hearts added sometimes. Grilled onions make it really special!

Weird.. Paul says he had a fish pizza in Japan. That just doesn't sound good to me.

Wart

Banned
Wife likes thin, I like Thick, really thick.
Wife likes hers in a pizza pan, I like mine in an iron skillet.
Wife likes White Pizza with thinly sliced tomatoes, I like sauce.
Wife likes anchovies, I don't.
Wife does not like whole wheat anything. I want to recreate a honey whole wheat I had in Tucson decades ago. (soon she may go hungry on Pizza night).

We both like Capers, sliced banana peppers, pepperoni and sausage (only if the sausage is buried under cheese), mozzarella and provolone, and depends what we have in the fridge.

My sauce is reduced stewed whole tomatoes (sliced and diced) with Italian herbs, or a reduced picante sauce with Italian herbs. And maybe a touch of honey.

chowhound

Trish, there was an Italian restaurant in Erie that had a seafood pizza. It was pretty good. Not sure about the Japanese version though.... Sushi pizza? (lol)

I think that is interesting that pepperoni is the number one topping, unless my area is the only one that counts cheese as a topping...

I used to like thick crust, but now like thin. I think the ingredients stand out a lot more.

And in order, my favorite ingredients are cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, It. sausage and ham or Canadian bacon if it's offered. And I like white pizzas, too. Other than those, I don't get into the veggie pizzas, or pineapple pizzas. No "unusual" or non-traditional pizza.

Lefty

Yank
My favorite growing up was plain cheese in a NYC tossed style. I have never enjoyed the thick crust pizza, 1 slice and I'm full. I now enjoy semi loaded,

Pepperoni
Hamburg
Onion
Pepper
Mushroom

The weirdest was a white pizza (butter/garlic sauce) with clams, shrimp, scallops... I should have tried it but I was chicken at the time.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
My favorite pizza is topped with hamburger, bacon, cheese, mushrooms, onions, black olives and green pepper all on a thin crust.

PanchoHambre

Sally's in New Haven has an amazing clam Pizza

as a NY native who was not in love (to say the least) with CT I was skeptical about their claim to superior Pizza. I will begrudgingly admit that the Pizza at Sally's is among the best I have had.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I like the stuffed crust and the deep pan

I like what is called the "Super Supreme" it is a meat lovers and a veggie lovers all in one.

Hamburger
Sausage
Peperoni
Bacon Bits
Onions
Mushrooms
Tomatoes
Olives, black and green
And of course, Cheese

And i don't like sauce on my pizza because i just can't stand the taste of tomato paste.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Favorite...cheese, onions, and lots of mushrooms.
Artichoke hearts added sometimes. Grilled onions make it really special!

Weird.. Paul says he had a fish pizza in Japan. That just doesn't sound good to me.
When I was in France, they have all sorts of fish pizzas - my sons loved tuna pizza (but I thought it was gross.)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I was till I read Fisher's Mom's tuna pizza, brings back memories and not so good of pizza in California. California is the land of twinkie pizza for sure, as they put all kinds of garbage on them in the name of health food. :puke1:I rate it just ahead of Texas near the Mexican boarder with pepper jack cheese.:yuk:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I was till I read Fisher's Mom's tuna pizza, brings back memories and not so good of pizza in California. California is the land of twinkie pizza for sure, as they put all kinds of garbage on them in the name of health food. :puke1:I rate it just ahead of Texas near the Mexican boarder with pepper jack cheese.:yuk:
I gotta agree with you on the pepper jack cheese - not my favorite, but a much-loved choice here in Texas. Still, I think I'd pick it over a twinkie pizza.

Now if they had a Ding-Dong pizza......

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
No, no, Andy - t w i n k i e pizza. You know, those little sponge cake things filled with cream?

Calicolady

Pancho, the clams sound good.
I'll only eat thin NY style.
Favorite toppings; mushroom, black olive, sausage & pepperoi.
If only one topping; sausage.

But I'm not crazy about pizza too often. When I do have it, it better be good.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK Lefty - Thank you very much.

Got me off on a Pizza thing and that is what had to happen tonight.

Fisher's Mom - I know what a twinkie is, I was hopinig that was NOT what they were talking about. Sort of hoping against hope. I cannot even allow a twinkie in my head at athe same time as Pizza sauce. My hard drive locks up and I have to be force rebooted.