Favorite restaurants

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I know I have more than one favorite restaurant and favorite dishes at the different restaurants.
What are your favorites?

I'll start out with a chain restaurant that is mainly in southern Ohio (maybe other places but I've never seen any).

Skiline Chili. Favorite dish: SkiLine 3 way with garlic bread and the famous skiline hot sauce. ummmmmm good.

Please say the name and location of the restaurant, and your favorite dish. Also mention if it is a chain or not.

KKsMom

Blond Member
Buca Di Beppo- favorite dish is the Chicken Marsala. It is a chain, here is a link to all locations http://www.bucadibeppo.com/locations/

Other favorites would have to be El Vaquero- NO, it's not just for the margarita's either (although, I admit, they do have a lot to do with it) #171 is my favorite!

I could go on and on about favorites though... Max & Erma's, Red Lobster, Red Robin etc...

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Buca Di Beppo- favorite dish is the Chicken Marsala. It is a chain, here is a link to all locations http://www.bucadibeppo.com/locations/

Other favorites would have to be El Vaquero- NO, it's not just for the margarita's either (although, I admit, they do have a lot to do with it) #171 is my favorite!

I could go on and on about favorites though... Max & Erma's, Red Lobster, Red Robin etc...

We don't have a Skyline, Buca Di Beppo, El Vaquero or Max & Ermas. We enjoy Red Lobster and would enjoy Red Robin except for the noise. They elected to put a low tin ceiling in it and the noise is unbearable.

On The Border is the best Mexican place around, GREAT margaritas. We have a few Carlos O'Kellys too. good food but an odd name for a Tex-Mex place

We have a few Bob Evans, a chain out of Ohio. Great breakfasts if the "A" folks are on duty.

KKsMom

Blond Member
We don't have a Skyline, Buca Di Beppo, El Vaquero or Max & Ermas. We enjoy Red Lobster and would enjoy Red Robin except for the noise. They elected to put a low tin ceiling in it and the noise is unbearable.

On The Border is the best Mexican place around, GREAT margaritas.

We have a few Bob Evans, a chain out of Ohio. Great breakfasts if the "A" folks are on duty.

Red Robin does try to attract a "family oriented" crowd so I can understand why the noise would be unbearable with that kind of a ceiling.. why would they do that?!?!?

Max & Erma's has about the best french onion soup around! My husband and I will go there just for the soup in the middle of August :hammer:

We also have an On the Border here and I agree- their Margarita's are phenominal!!! Although their salsa isn't my favorite.

I used to work at Bob Evans and hated their food before I started working there... now I love it!!! What is your favorite from there? My seasonal favorite has to be the Chicken Salad w/fruit plate. My non-seasonal favorite is the Wildfire Chicken Salad.

What about Panera Bread? Have any of you eaten there?

I'm sorry- it's early and I'm hungry and I could go on for a while about my favorites... :doh:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Red Robin does try to attract a "family oriented" crowd so I can understand why the noise would be unbearable with that kind of a ceiling.. why would they do that?!?!?

No telling why, guess they like the way it looks. Makes a McDonalds seem tame in comparison :hammer:

We also have an On the Border here and I agree- their Margarita's are phenominal!!! Although their salsa isn't my favorite.

OTB started in Dallas when we lived there about 20 years ago. Just after we transfered to Virginia they built their first restaurant here. I think there are 4 or 5 in the area now. Until they moved in the Mexican restaurants had more of a central American theme to them instead of the Tex-Mex I grew up with. We like the salsa, it is what we are accustomed to from home. Most of the salsa around here has Tabasco in it.

I used to work at Bob Evans and hated their food before I started working there... now I love it!!! What is your favorite from there? My seasonal favorite has to be the Chicken Salad w/fruit plate. My non-seasonal favorite is the Wildfire Chicken Salad.

I like their omelets best and their sausage gravy is good too. For non breakfast stuff the Wildfire salad is good but I think I like the Chili and Cheese Taco salad best.

What about Panera Bread? Have any of you eaten there?

They just built one here. I haven't tried it yet. Funny thing, it is next door to the Bob Evans. :mrgreen:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
One of my most memorable meals was at Victoria Station in Columbus on morse or 161. I had the best ever prime rib. It was to die for. With a great spinich salad and backed potato.
Victoria Station closed down in Columbus many years ago. I wonder if they are still around anywhere?

Ironman

🍺
I love the hot chicken wings, and... so much to see.:wink:

Attachments

• LOGO.gif
    LOGO.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 175

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Doc mentioned baked potatoes at Victoria Station.

I really enjoy baked potatoes at Outback but the best baked potato is from the Brisket House in Houston just south of downtown. It's a huge potato, split open filled with whatever toppings you want and covered with barbecue brisket.

Jim

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Since you mentioned Outback Jim I have a story to tell about them. No doubt their steaks are good, and their baked potatoes .... and their beer. So on my wifes birthday one year we decided to go to outback for dinner. We knew they got really busy later in the evening so we went early. We got there at 5:30. They said we would have a 45 min. wait, no problem. We visited the bar for a couple of drinks. We are finally called at 6:30, get to our table and order. Darn if the waiter didn't come back after we ordered to tell us sorry they are out of baked potatoes!!! :eek: At 6:30 on a Friday evening to run out of baked potatoes seemed outrageous. That was a couple of years ago. We haven't been back since. We now have Texas Roadhouse and Logan's Steakhouse in our little town and neither of those places have ever had to tell us there were out of anything. :thumb:

KKsMom

Blond Member
Darn if the waiter didn't come back after we ordered to tell us sorry they are out of baked potatoes!!! :eek: At 6:30 on a Friday evening to run out of baked potatoes seemed outrageous.
:hammer: I guess it never occured to anybody to send the dishwasher to freakin Kroger to buy some more potatoes????? I wonder how long they had been out? That's just stoooooopid! :angry:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
:hammer: I guess it never occured to anybody to send the dishwasher to freakin Kroger to buy some more potatoes????? I wonder how long they had been out? That's just stoooooopid! :angry:

I bet the problem was that they had potatoes, the cook just hadn't anticipated the demand and didn't have any ready. I've had that happen.

Jim

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bet the problem was that they had potatoes, the cook just hadn't anticipated the demand and didn't have any ready. I've had that happen.

Jim

Actually they had two baked potato machines. The server said one of machines had been breaking down for two weeks and they ahd not yet ordered another one. No reason given for not odering a new one or at least a repair for the other.
This particular Outback typically had a one hour or more wait EVERY WEEKEND NIGHT. It's as if they didn't really care. So, I don't care to return, especially since we now have more alternatives.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
THAT'S MY KIND OF PLACE! :w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:

Mine too.

But a question for you all. I'm a big guy, and can put away a big burger. But I can't imagine getting that triple decker listed in the picture, let along the quadruple burgers!!!!! :eek: Who could really eat those things?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
This particular Outback typically had a one hour or more wait EVERY WEEKEND NIGHT. It's as if they didn't really care. So, I don't care to return, especially since we now have more alternatives.

The closest Outback to us is @15 miles away. They have the same claimed wait times and a very poor attitude. We drive 28 miles in the other direction where they really work to get you seated and the attitude is GREAT!

(do you know that sometimes the "wait time" thing is a ploy to get you to go to the bar and spend money?)