Food prep. Love it.

chowhound

Well, I love it unless it's poultry :mrgreen:
There was once a food forum where someone took a jab at me and the folks posting for my trying to learn a new technique for cutting green peppers. They could not believe the discussion taking place and amount of posts.... oh well. Needless to say life goes on.
A sharp blade, a good technique, and whether I burn dinner or not, making it was fun! I appreciate the advice I've gotten on both (the blade and the technique, not the burning part :biggrin: )
Got anything you need diced?
Needless to say, the Italian brat sandwiches I'm making for dinner will not look like the picture I posted earlier. I just felt like dicing stuff into 1/4" pieces tonight :wink:

Attachments

• diced onions & potatoes.jpg
    diced onions & potatoes.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 130

lilylove

It is for me. You don't have to think...you just get into chopping and measuring. It's all good.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I also enjoy it but then it gives me a reason to play with my knives so that might be why too. I also enjoy cooking but can't stand to even go in the kitchen when the DW is cooking, it is like a tornado went through my orderly kitchen. Got to love her though and she is a good cook also.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't like the actual food prep nearly as well as the planning.

I like to find and select recipes, write notes in the margins to edit, make the shopping lists, even go get the stuff. But I'd rather leave the actual cooking to QBro. He takes his time and has the patience that I lack - I tend to rush through the process.

My brother will spend an hour breading and pan-frying eggplant slices. I HATE to do that. And he will let hash browns BROWN before flipping them - I don't leave them alone long enough.

However, there are a few things that I would rather do myself, because either he doesn't do it well, or I like it another way. Homemade pizza is one example.

Nice dice, BTW, chowhound! :)

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I love prep time. Slice, dice, chop, organize.... like JoeC I like to use my knives. Eating is the best part, but only by a little bit.

Buzz

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Well, I love it unless it's poultry :mrgreen:
There was once a food forum where someone took a jab at me and the folks posting for my trying to learn a new technique for cutting green peppers. They could not believe the discussion taking place and amount of posts.... oh well.

Every endeavor in life has it's self-proclaimed "purists" and "experts" who take exception when someone comes along with innovative ideas that alter the way their world has always been structured. In fly fishing it's teh "Dry Fly" purist who believes it to be sacriledge to catch a trout on anything other than a dry fly. (I'm very serious....These whack jobs are actually in the mainstream population.)They don't like change, and certainly don't like anyone who appears to be smarter or more innovative than themselves. They are to be pitied.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This is a great picture, chowhound, but where's all the blood??? Because when I chop that much stuff that small, there is always blood.

chowhound

lol, Lee, you like to do everything I despise. I hate the planning and shopping and while I should write notes, I don't.
And the only time you need to let the spuds sit to brown before flipping is if you use non-stick. Trust me, you don't have that problem with SS ;^) They are very brown by the time I get to them, which is why you see a non-stick pan in that pic.

Derek

Banned
Prep is my most favorite time in the kitchen, the very last thing I don't like doing is dish washing so I keep cleaning as I food prep.

chowhound

This is a great picture, chowhound, but where's all the blood??? Because when I chop that much stuff that small, there is always blood.

"Where's the blood?!" (You'd have to listen to Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN radio... It's a catch phrase there.)
I suppose there should really be a lot more blood. When I watched the technique vids I notice they tend to move away small pieces. I'm to anal to do that. Probably comes from my days of being a tin-knocker. You'll have one day where you get a couple nicks, then go months without, so you tend to push the envelope.

Deelady

prep time has always been the part I dislike! I enjoy the planning and the actual cooking. If someone had everything chopped, diced and sliced for me ahead of time and I could just get to it and do my thing, I'd be in heaven!! Oh and if the dishes were also done afterward....that would be bliss!! :D :D

PanchoHambre

prep time has always been the part I dislike! I enjoy the planning and the actual cooking. If someone had everything chopped, diced and sliced for me ahead of time and I could just get to it and do my thing, I'd be in heaven!! Oh and if the dishes were also done afterward....that would be bliss!! :D :D

Ditto

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i like food prep as long as i have a good knife...

cleaning well , thats why i love Mrs.Bam so much..lol

her quote...."If the kitchen is not a disaster after you are done, then i dont want to eat what you cooked"...lol

suziquzie

I love all of it when I get left alone to do it!
I made something tonight that shoulda taken about 30 min tops..... prep and all.
By the time I stopped 68 times to put on 2 sets of snowpants and boots, take 'em back off, make cocoa, stop a fight or 5...
lucky for them they all ate.
sheesh. these kids will be lucky if i still cook when they actually want me to!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I love that tag line Suzi and I guess that is the first time I have seen it.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
lol... thanks..... wasn't sure if I should put it there but i haven't been yelled at yet....
:)

Yell How's that?

I see you're from MN. Dad was from Moorhead, we had a place at Detroit Lakes, and my daughter lives in Eagan. If it's not private are you near any of these?

Buzz

suziquzie

ummm..... in the middle.
I used to be in St.Paul but then we got all redneck and we live about an hour north in North Branch.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I love playing with food so every part of cooking is enjoyable for me.

Fred you did such a good job on those homefries, you ought to try to julienne your potatoes for hashbrowns.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I think that the prepping is what makes cooking enjoyable for me. Sometimes it is a PITA, specially when the dish turns out like crap! But I find the prepping calming and enjoyable.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I think that the prepping is what makes cooking enjoyable for me. Sometimes it is a PITA, specially when the dish turns out like crap! But I find the prepping calming and enjoyable.

Yes it is. It's even more enjoyable if the knives are sharp making the work effortless. You should let me sharpen your knives.

Be careful though.

2cmnoyu.jpg

Lefty

Yank
I love the prep part and find dicing, slicing and chopping therapeutic. Cleanup, that something else. The old lady has my back on the cleanup part.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Clean up is my least favorite. I don't mind the chopping and dicing and putting together that much, but not my favorite and do whatever I can do get it done as quickly and easily as is possible.
The most enjoyable for me is when all the prep is done, everything is nicely set up, and I start to cook it and put it all together.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I wish I was as good as all of you. I am a combination of everything I have rad,

Planning - I used to be good at it, but, have somehow lost it. If I weere o bear down here, I would do much better.

Shopping - I really enjoy going to the grocery store. If I a not hurried, I can look at all eh ne stuff and think of how I could use that in something or another. This is where my planning takes place.

Prep - It really is relaxing. As Suzi says, if you get left alone to do it. My two labs are always in the kitchen and they are not a poblem. They lay on th floor and wait for something to fall. Good vompany. They get the ends off the peppers nd the odd pieces in slicing and dicing that I don't wannt to put in the finished product. DW usually is not there, on accasion, she joins in and ststions herself in front of the sink. Washing each amd every utensil, dish and pot as I put it down. Drives me nuts. I tend to combine prep and cooking and I should not, it would be more enjoyable if I didn;t.

Clenup - Not my fav, but, I don't mind. I do like to look over the kitchen and see it ll clean and done.

I suppose thay I jusy like being in the kitchen.