Ohio State Buckeye Candy

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
1 lb confectioners' sugar
2/3 lb peanut butter (smooth variety)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
1/2 lb semisweet chocolate
1/2 lb milk chocolate
1 tablespoon shredded paraffin wax

Blend sugar, peanut butter and butter together thoroughly.

Roll mixture into walnut-sized balls and insert a toothpick into each.

Place balls on a waxed paper lined cookie sheet and then put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes, or until firm.

Melt chocolate and paraffin in a double boiler.

Holding onto the toothpick, dip each chilled peanut butter ball into the melted chocolate, leaving a small round area near the toothpick.

This will be the "eye" of the buckeye. The dipping of each
ball should be done quickly so the warm chocolate does not thaw the peanut butter too much. This can cause the ball to slide off the toothpick and into the chocolate.

Place a fresh liner of waxed paper on the cookie sheet and put the buckeys on it.

Refrigerate at least one-half hour before serving. You can then place the buckeyes in a container.

For best results, keep them refrigerated until you serve them.​

homecook

We make these all the time. We tend to just call them Buckeyes since everyone in Ohio knows who the Buckeyes are. LOL
Is there a reason for the paraffin in the chocolate? I just melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and they come out fine.

Barb

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
We make these all the time. We tend to just call them Buckeyes since everyone in Ohio knows who the Buckeyes are. LOL
Is there a reason for the paraffin in the chocolate? I just melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and they come out fine.

Barb

the paraffin adds a nice shine to the candy... you know its gotta look good so people will buy them..lol

homecook

lol.....I'm not selling mine, I just eat them!! Besides the buckeyes in my yard arent' shiny. heehee

Barb

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Barb

Uh huh... THE candy to have around the house, especially during Christmas!

:D:a1:

Tastes much like a Reese's Cup, but better!

Attachments

• 06628bt.jpg
    06628bt.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,164
  • 2970291049_9dd9c62d51.jpg
    2970291049_9dd9c62d51.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,086
  • buckeyes.jpg
    buckeyes.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 4,942

Mr. Green Jeans

Betcha can't eat just one! I initiated folks out here in Oregon last December. The life expectancy of a buckeye didn't make the morning break.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Sass.............. Those look Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmy!

They are!!! .... but there is something about getting them "just right"..
I've had good buckeyes and bad ones.
Something about the peanut butter center.
Bought some at an Amish market last fall and OMG!! way too sweet.
They must have a delicate tasting peanut butter center that pops! delightful in your mouth... and always use semi-sweet chocolate, NEVER dark.
That would be a major Buckeye faux pas lol

Betcha can't eat just one! I initiated folks out here in Oregon last December. The life expectancy of a buckeye didn't make the morning break.
haha!! no doubt!!
They are awesome. :)