Sauerkraut

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Why in heck does my sauerkraut suck? Every darn time! I always seem to have it with too much acid. Any suggestions?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I drain and rinse mine in a mesh strainer, Sush.

Lee

Calicolady

I drain and rinse mine too, otherwise it gets ya right in the gills!
I also cut up and onion into very thin slices, and some chopped garlic, add that to a frying pan with a little oil & butter that is big enough to hold kraut too. I cook that just to soften, then add kraut with no juice and cook while stirring it around some, til all gets glassy looking. Then I put it in a corningware bake dish with maybe 1/4 cup of water, and cover and bake for maybe 45 minutes, stirring up once. Or put the corningware covered dish in the grill on indirect heat, doing the same.

Biskit

Bagged kraut is the best! The stuff we get doesn't have much acid at all. I can literally drink the juice!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The only brand I buy is the bagged Hebrew National. It is excellent as is at least to my tastes. I only use it though for hot dogs as I just love beer steamed dog on a lightly toasted bun with sauerkraut and a bit of mustard.

Tickle Me Elmo

Hebrew National here too. Good right out of the bag. Have also tried, Bush's I think, which comes in a glass jar. Not too bad if we can't get the bagged stuff.

Last edited:

Calicolady

Bagged kraut is the best! The stuff we get doesn't have much acid at all. I can literally drink the juice!!

I buy the bagged, refridgerated stuff. Don't remember the brand. But ewww, pucker power! This stuff has some strong juice!

SourpussStamp.jpg

www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/210124/

www.in.com/active18/watchnow/watchvideo.php?id=1993559

bullseye

Some bacon, bagged 'kraut, some caraway seeds. mashed potatoes, and pork chops. Mmmmm! The acid in the 'kraut cuts the fat in the pork, and the mashed, well it just goes with it all!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
If you get hold of a good quality 'Kraut, bagged or jarred, there's no need to rinse......drain maybe, depending on the cooking method, but Rinse away flavor, not for me !

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I make my own Kim Chee but have never attempted regular sauerkraut.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
The only way I use sauerkraut is in a chocolate sauerkraut cake. It is rinsed incredibly well. Drained and dried. Chopped finely and added to a chocolate cake better that has a chocolate sour cream icing. I think it was created by a woman who had a bumper crop and found a creative way to use it. One doesn't taste it or smell it but it makes for a very moist cake. Everyone who has had it loves it.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I'm erasing this post of mine.......... decided it was too controversial.........too harsh, even..........:oops:

.........but I needed to be quicker......:sorry::sorry:

I tend to be single-minded sometimes.............

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Because it makes for a very moist chocolate cake that is very yummy! It has to do with a chemical reaction that the acid in the sauerkraut causes.

Deadly Sushi

Wow!!!! I never knew there was a difference from the canned kraut to the bagged stuff!

I rinse and cook it. It either turns out to be devoid of all taste (even after the addition of bacon) or the texture is to firm or I add the wrong spices to it.

My aunt..... I LOOOOOOOVE her kraut but I cant seem to get it the same way. Maybe I should cook it with sausage???? :huh:

Mr. Green Jeans

My great grandmother was from Germany. She did kraut Bavarian style. She had a deep cast iron skillet with a dome lid so it was essentially like a Dutch oven. On the stove she would saute: 1 chopped onion, 1 cooking apple chopped when it was nearly done she added (she rarely measured) about 1 Tbsp ea of brown sugar and cider vinegar folowed by a pinch of caraway seed. Then she'd toss in drained kraut, and bake several hours in a moderate oven with or with out sausage.

Deadly Sushi

It seems that an oven step is used by quite a few people. isnt simmering for a few hours pretty similar? I hate to transfer it if it really does the same thing on the stove.

Biskit

Old timers around here used crocks with a piece of wood cut to fit the inside. After the kraut was appropriately crushed and packed into the crock, the board and a heavy object was put on top to provide pressure while the kraut cured. I hadn't heard about the pressure cooker treatment.

Any knowledge of that?

Mr. Green Jeans

Bis, I can the kraut AFTER it brews. A new twist to the wood for the crock is to fill a 2 gallon zip-loc bag with water and place it atop the brining kraut.