Mashed Cauliflower

chowhound

This isn't a recipe by any means, just an observation.
Last night was my second attempt at making mashed cauliflower. I should probably call it "smashed", because the texture is nothing like my mashed potatoes. I use a hand masher, the T-Fal one with holes in it, and it leaves cauliflower with a ton of small lumps, but I was expecting that this time around, so I was good with that.
My first attempt I had read in a recipe to add roasted garlic, so I did, along with salt and pepper. The cauliflower was steamed in chicken stock and that was my mashing liquid, along with a little butter and some sour cream. It was OK, but something needed changed. Without a gravy the cauliflower needed more punch.
This attempt I again used chicken stock to steam and mash with, but before I turned the burner on I threw in three large cloves of garlic to steam along with the cauliflower. I don't recall reading anywhere about steamed garlic, but I didn't see why you couldn't and was willing to experiment. I added salt and pepper again and a few shakes of Pennzeys Italian seasoning. When it came time to mash I added a little butter and some Philly cream cheese. This is going to get made again. I couldn't believe the flavor this stuff had and wish I had made more than half a head.

Just an observation.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I make it the way you made it the second time around, chow - steamed with raw clove of garlic. I use a hand blender to smooth it out, after I mash it a little first with a manual masher.

I haven't tried the cream cheese in it, but sounds like a delicious addition!

Lee

PanchoHambre

Sounds good CH... you definitely need to add something to ramp up the taste... I used SC and Parm last time... like MP its one of those things that gives you lots of room to play.. I like that