thoughts and a possible suggestion

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i was thinking when you open up the meat section...you get pork and beef... well why not add the other meats to it as well..

wouldnt that clean up the board a little and make it easier to navigate as far as looking for meat dishes? just a thought

the other thought is this...

i make alot of homemade sausages,bacons,hams,jerkies,wild game etc etc... i have tons of TNT recipes when it comes to preserving meats like that... not sure what kind of category it would be or where to put it but right now i dont know where to post recipes like that

like where would i post this?

INGREDIENTS

3 cloves garlic
300ml full-bodied red wine
35g salt
22g ground allspice
10g ground cinnamon
20g ground white pepper
1kg lean beef, coarsely ground
500g coarsely ground fatty pork belly
500g coarsely ground pork shoulder
2.2 metres 38mm sausage casings

METHOD

-> Bruise the garlic with a deft blow delivered through a broad knife laid flat. Steep the garlic in wine by warming in a saucepan over a very low flame until it is just hot (about 70C). Remove the garlic and leave wine to cool.

-> Mix the wine, salt and spices into the meats in a stainless-steel bowl. Cover and refrigerate immediately.

-> The next day, soak the sausage skins in plenty of fresh water until soft (about one hour). Extrude the sausage mixture into the skins.

-> Pipe through enough meat to make a sausage that is firm rather than loose or tight. Tie off the other end of the skin and form 10-centimetre-long links by twisting or tying off.

-> Hang from a hook in the refrigerator overnight. The sausages should keep for a few days in the fridge or a month if frozen.

-> To cook: place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a slowly rolling simmer and blanch for 10 minutes. Then grill, bake, barbecue or roast in the usual way. (Do not prick these sausages at any stage of cooking.)

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That is a good point. We have talked about expanding that section, one suggestion was lamb. Not sure about what else to do... do you have any ideas on what you would like to see in there?

jkath

I like the idea too, Bam.

Perhaps one of the child forums in meats could be "meat marinades, etc..."

PS - like the "deft blow" LOL

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
That is a good point. We have talked about expanding that section, one suggestion was lamb. Not sure about what else to do... do you have any ideas on what you would like to see in there?

Meat - main category

subcategories

Pork
Lamb
Beef
Fish & Seafood
Venison/Wild Game
Poultry
Homemade Meat Products(sausages,jerkies,ham,bacon etc)

just a couple of ideas

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Some of those we have in other places, we could move em down under the meat section and consolidate... it has my vote.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think the poultry as well as the fish and seafood should have their own main categories. Maybe divide it up like a cookbook with meats inclucing sections on beef, pork, veal, lamb, venison and wild game.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I could see fish and seafood staying out on their own, in fact that does make sense since most people don't equate meat with fish and seafood.
I would still put poultry under the meat section though...

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just catching up with this thread. Good thoughts guys.
For starters i would like a better name for the Meats forum to show that it is primarily: beef, pork, veal, lamb, venison and wild game

I will add the other sub forums soon.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
These are great ideas. I think in time we should also have a preserving and canning section. I have two preserves and a pickle recipe in Misc.

Wart

Banned
I could see fish and seafood staying out on their own, in fact that does make sense since most people don't equate meat with fish and seafood.

Sure don't.

Include the Aquatics with Legged animals and you might as well call the parent forum Flesh.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just updated the Meats forum with new sub forums.
Please review and offer more suggestions.
Thanks!