Threads marked as read.....

suziquzie

Is there a way to NOT do that after logging out for awhile?
Here's what I mean... sometimes if I've been gone a day or two there's 4-7 pages of new threads, and I just pop in for a few minutes, click on 1 or 2, then gotta go or a kid breaks something..... and I go away.
If I don't come back for another day or two, or a few hours, the posts I never got to the first time around are gone and marked as read (not in bold type).....
Is there an option to not mark something read, or keep it "new" until I actually do click on it and read it iffin I wanted to? :bangin:

Did that make any sense at all? :huh:

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I know what you're saying. I don't know if there is a way to do it though. I don't think the new ones should go away at all until you've clicked on it.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Hey, go to your ucer cp, edit details and at the bottom, you can choose days you want threads to stay. Maybe that's it.

Oops, you edit options, not details

Attachments

• options.jpg
    options.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Using Internet Explorer, you can try going to Tools > Internet Options > Delete Browsing History. This will clear your cookies making everything on the Forum new again. However, I’m not sure how far back the Forum counts as new. It may only be a day or so of posts?

Note: Deleting your cookies will also require you to manually log back into the forum.

Internet Options
2zxr3pw.jpg

Delete Browsing History
8x5vk7.jpg

chowhound

lol, I have just the opposite problem. Threads I've already clicked on and read will show up as unread even if there aren't any new posts in the thread. In my case someone said it was the way Doc had the forum set up to track us, that it doesn't remember something or other.....

suziquzie

Keltin would it do that on just this site or all the sites I go to?
Cuz I like my cookies sometimes......
:)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin would it do that on just this site or all the sites I go to?
Cuz I like my cookies sometimes......
:)

It would do it for ALL sites. Sorry. Alternatively, you could go to the folder where the cookies are stored and just delete the one for NCT.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
lol, I have just the opposite problem. Threads I've already clicked on and read will show up as unread even if there aren't any new posts in the thread. In my case someone said it was the way Doc had the forum set up to track us, that it doesn't remember something or other.....

NCT uses cookies to track, and I believe you are using FireFox and have it delete your cookies every time you exit?

chowhound

I'm using IE7. I've been paying close attention lately, and I can read every new thread listed (or at least click on it), leave the site, come back to the site on the index page and using the same computer, click on New Posts and it will show posts I've already read as new.
As a matter of fact, today I'm better of clicking on Show Last Post and scrolling up to the last unread post in a thread. I't not even close to opening up where I last finished. This is on three PCs. I was even thinking of making a post in the thread as I finished reading it, that way I can judge the first unread post by scrolling and looking for my avatar.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm using IE7. I've been paying close attention lately, and I can read every new thread listed (or at least click on it), leave the site, come back to the site on the index page and using the same computer, click on New Posts and it will show posts I've already read as new.
As a matter of fact, today I'm better of clicking on Show Last Post and scrolling up to the last unread post in a thread. I't not even close to opening up where I last finished. This is on three PCs. I was even thinking of making a post in the thread as I finished reading it, that way I can judge the first unread post by scrolling and looking for my avatar.

Interesting. I just read a thread, closed IE7, came back, and it was marked as unread/new for me even though I just read it before closing IE7. Not sure what is going on......

chowhound

Yeah, it can get frustrating.
If I'm thinking, it helps to click on Quick Links and select Mark All Threads Read. Then when I come back the only "New Posts", are threads that have been posted in since I left. What I would consider a new post.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I am on Firefox and have it set to clear cookies each time I log off, yet when I return everything is marked read except the most recent posts. I am going to pop into my User CP and change the date and see what happens.
Just kinda hard sifting thru posts marked read for the ones that really aren't read...