Red Meat

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I read something the other day that suggested if you had red meat for a meal 5 times or less a week, that you are doing pretty good.
So I started counting, cause 5 times sounded easy. Boy was I wrong. I've done it but if I don't watch myself special it's always more than 5 times a week.

-----
Speaking of red meat, while having dinner the other day a guy eating with us got a steak. He ordered Medium. Meals came and his steak was more a medium rare by what I'm used to (very red in the center) ...so we suggested he send it back. He says no, thats okay. He likes it that way but doesn't normally order it that way because red meat is bad for you. So, he gets it all the way cooked so it's not red. :pat: :yum: :yum:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
He likes it that way but doesn't normally order it that way because red meat is bad for you. So, he gets it all the way cooked so it's not rare.

YOure kidding right????? :ermm:
I eat meat every day now that I think about it. :bb:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Honest. You can't make this kind of stuff up. Lucky I didn't have a mouthful of anything when he said it or I might have made a mess. :hide: :D

waybomb

Maybe he was equating undercooked meat to red meat. Otherwise, could anybody be that stooopid?

sandrab

i must writte something that i found

“Each additional daily serving of processed red meat (bacon, hot dogs, sausage, salami, and bologna) was linked with 20% increased risk of death overall, 21% increased risk of heart disease-related death, and 16% increased risk of cancer-related death.”
try to take iron rich foods for replacement for meat, it's healthier

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well let me see, Great Grandmother lived to 105 years old and ate meat with every meal. She even ate the fat off of pork chops when I was a kid. I guess without it she might of lived to 150 instead. :wink:

I read a study once that stated if your parents where raised on the perfect diet and stayed on it. Then they raised you on that same diet you would live on average 3 months longer than some one that ate a poor diet. In my opinion through the years it is one thing or the other is bad for you be it whole eggs, whole milk, red meat etc. Fact is if one eats in moderation, excises regularly and isn't subject to genetic disease then they will live a long healthy life. I do tend to buy into that thought as dieticians are like lawyers and sociologist if the vanished tomorrow no body would notice they had gone. :eating2:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Well let me see, Great Grandmother lived to 105 years old and ate meat with every meal. She even ate the fat off of pork chops when I was a kid. I guess without it she might of lived to 150 instead. :wink:

I read a study once that stated if your parents where raised on the perfect diet and stayed on it. Then they raised you on that same diet you would live on average 3 months longer than some one that ate a poor diet. In my opinion through the years it is one thing or the other is bad for you be it whole eggs, whole milk, red meat etc. Fact is if one eats in moderation, excises regularly and isn't subject to genetic disease then they will live a long healthy life. I do tend to buy into that thought as dieticians are like lawyers and sociologist if the vanished tomorrow no body would notice they had gone. :eating2:
Amen on the lawyers and sociologists. Interesting fact about the whole milk, our 18 month old granddaughter drinks whole milk, per her pediatrician's order. Contrary to the fat police, she is not overweight. Go figure...

I also eat the fat off the pork chops...and ribs, and roasts too! Good stuff. If it kills me, I'll go with a smile on my face.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Depending on how far back you want to go. People ate what they produced. The animals were fed with grains, etc. grown from the land. Much of the meat we eat today is injected with whatever and eats grain fertilized with whatever. I feel this skews the picture significantly.

People are eating more and excercising less. It is important to eat a good diet. There are an awful lot of other things to considee as well.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lol!! Did you guys have the heart to tell him he was mistaken? I don't think I could bring myself to tell him.
Yeah, after we stopped laughing we told him. :pat: What a duffass. :eek: As a rule guys love telling other guys when they are wrong. Guess it's a guy thing. :hide: :yum:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This made me curious, so I wrote down my last 10 meals (I only eat lunch and dinner).
2 - red meat
1 - chicken
2 - fish
2 - pork
3 - meatless (if you don't count the ham used as seasoning for peas)

I guess I like variety and would get tired of red meat if I ate it too often. Anyway, I'm going to see what the end tally looks like after 14 meals.

chilefarmer

I have read someone's signature line, and I have to agree.
Red meat is not bad for you. fuzzy green meat is bad for you. CF