What happened to creme filled donuts?

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Many lives ago, when I was a teenager, I worked at a local donut shop... yes, this was before the days of Dunkin Donuts. I never wrote down the recipe, but I remember whipping up the creme filling and there being some mystery ingredient that the boss bought in a round cardboard container, probably a few pounds at a time. It was a powder of some sort that he treated like gold. The creme filling that resulted was light and wonderful. There used to be a few places that had similar filling, but I can only think of one that has survived (and every time I get there, they're sold out!). All the other places now use some filling that is like icing, leaving a greasy mouth feel. Does Johnny Q. Public really like that stuff?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I wonder if it were powdered egg whites or meringue powder. I think that greasy feeling in your mouth is shortening.

Last edited:

Tickle Me Elmo

Many lives ago, when I was a teenager, I worked at a local donut shop... yes, this was before the days of Dunkin Donuts. I never wrote down the recipe, but I remember whipping up the creme filling and there being some mystery ingredient that the boss bought in a round cardboard container, probably a few pounds at a time. It was a powder of some sort that he treated like gold. The creme filling that resulted was light and wonderful. There used to be a few places that had similar filling, but I can only think of one that has survived (and every time I get there, they're sold out!). All the other places now use some filling that is like icing, leaving a greasy mouth feel. Does Johnny Q. Public really like that stuff?

I remember what you are referring to. It was a bit like marshmallow creme, very light and fluffy. Haven't had any commercially-produced donuts in a long time so I can't comment on what's available to consumers today. But those donuts you are talking about were definitely comfortingly tasty.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Well, today bakeries have shifted to using the shortening with the marshmallow fluff because it will have a longer shelf life. I agree it is not as tasty. Why not just use sweet butter?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter

Crisco frosting literally makes me gag... No I don't like it...

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I don't like Crisco frosting, either. Nor am I a fan of fondant (to eat) although it is fun to work with. I really like buttercream or meringue buttercreams.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I remember the same thing when I worked in a bakery in '67-'68. The head baker made the creme filling and the custard filling, and I filled the long and round donuts with the filling, then iced the tops with chocolate or maple icing. I used to catch hell all the time for "overfilling" the jelly donuts.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
The only one that is made commercially that I like is the Krispy Kreme cream filled doughnut. I don't like any of the other cream filled doughnuts out there.

PanchoHambre

I am generally a fan of fresh cream type filling (like you would have on a cream puff) and I love custard... but I really can't stand that gritty sugary cream

There was this grimy old school greasy spoon on Queens Boulevard near my old apt that made the most beautiful donuts big wonderful lovely donuts. You don't see too much of that any more... its Dunkin' or nasty preservative laden donuts YUK

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
My dad use to like the chocolate fluff doughnuts that a local doughnut shop made but of late they haven't tasted the same.

Once in a blue, blue moon, I live to get one of those cinnamon swirl glazed doughnuts. I use to love those things as a kid. lol

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
They have one of those old school greasy spoon 24hr places down the street that has those big ol doughnuts. After 5pm they are 2 for 1. But not the cream filled, they have that 'Crisco' taste you guys were talking about before and I don't like that either.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I just got some Krispy Kreme donuts at Walmart that are cream filled. Those are the only filled donuts I like.

The Tourist

Banned
LOL, I think the bakers realized they were killing their consumers. Imagine the arteries of a guy who stops before work--every day--and bolts down a few of those things.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
If I go it is dozen, but if my wife goes it is 2 and only two. She is so mean sometimes.

AllenOK

Around here, we have "Daylite Donuts", a franchise chain, based in Tulsa. There is also a "Paradise Bakery" that I haven't tried, but also has apparently been around for decades. I may have to get up early one morning and try their Bavarian Creme Bismarks.

I LOVE Daylite. Made fresh every day. Get there early, as they sell out usually around 9 am.

Jeff G.

Well our local bakery has them too. Dan's Variety bakery (lovingly referred to as Dirty Dan's).. some of the best donuts you could ever eat.

Now many years ago there used to be a line of donuts called Spudnuts. Man those were Fantastic. Really crispy on the outside, like air on inside..they used potato flour.

babe

chocolate covered cream filled long johns. god i love you. can't seem to get anymore. i hate krispy creme donuts. and those rocks they see in boxes on the shelf should be made illegal. they have to be harmful to your health.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
chocolate covered cream filled long johns. god i love you. can't seem to get anymore. i hate krispy creme donuts. and those rocks they see in boxes on the shelf should be made illegal. they have to be harmful to your health.

I love the chocolate covered cream filled long johns too! But yes, getting harder and harder to find them anywhere!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Actually WalMart, at least the one by me gets them fresh every morning for Krispy Kreme and you box your own. I get the cream filled long johns all the time. I'm addicted to donuts and such. If you don't believe me ask Warren.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Joe, I can't believe no one got pictures of the donuts last year :( Guess I'll have to repeat this year, just for the camera.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
They matched the ones you have on your site, and besides between me and David Smith no one had a chance to take a picture. No shutter speed on any camera could handle that action. I think David matched me too donut for donut. :mrgreen:

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
609-donuts.png