Culinary Destinations - Where do you want to go for what?

AllenOK

I have several places I'd like to go:

-Anywhere on the Gulf Coast, preferably with a salt marsh. I'll bring my cast net, and get a non-resident fishing license. I'd love to enjoy freshly-caught shrimp, caught/cooked/eaten in less than two hours! Also, fresh oysters! The ones we get at work are all usually right at two weeks old.

-New Orleans! I haven't been to NOLA in over 10 years.

-Pacific NW. I'd love to cook with the fresh seafood!

-Maine. LOBSTER, BABY!

-Down to Mexico, where I can get and play around with huitlacoche.

-China. 'nuff said!

-France. 'nuff said.

-Italy. 'nuff said.

-Vegas. But, this is actually something different. I'd love to actually work in a high-volume kitchen just for the experience. Now that I've got a family, that one is going to be hard to swing.

PanchoHambre

I have had the chance to travel in Europe quite a bit but I would love to go back with some money and get to really live it up. had some great meals though especially in France and Italy. Ate alot of street food while I was traveling and I would give anything for an eclair from a parisian bakery right about now

On my never been list is South America... especially Argentina. I love Argentine food churrasco and chimichurri a great combination of european spanish/italian/german with latin Yum

I would love to get deeper into Mexico

Ditto on Maine... have not made it past the Cape on the East Coast

India and China would be awesome but I would definitely need someone to order for me

Derek

Banned
Here's list where I like to go and go back too.

1. Saint Augustine ( awesome food with Spanish flare )
2.Spain I would love to go there.
3.Japan I will go there some day and try lots of Japanese food. ( and not our Americanized food.

4.White castle { I love those burgers no matter if its not culinary or not )

5.Italy for some Italian flare.

Lefty

Yank
Puerto Rico for some pastelles & alcapuria and a good pig roast.
Italy
Greece
Spain (tappas)
China

State side, NYC, NewOrleans, Vegas (buffets)

NYC pizza and bagels and the delis can't be beat, plus shopping at all the ethnic markets.

Jeff G.

-Anywhere on the Gulf Coast, preferably with a salt marsh. I'll bring my cast net, and get a non-resident fishing license. I'd love to enjoy freshly-caught shrimp, caught/cooked/eaten in less than two hours! Also, fresh oysters! The ones we get at work are all usually right at two weeks old.

-Maine. LOBSTER, BABY!

-China. 'nuff said!

-France. 'nuff said.

-Italy. 'nuff said.

-Vegas. But, this is actually something different. I'd love to actually work in a high-volume kitchen just for the experience. Now that I've got a family, that one is going to be hard to swing.
You don't have to go to the gulf for shrimp..
We used a casting net off the docks where my brother had his sailboat in South Carolina and hauled in quite a few large shrimp(oxymoron??) in just a few casts. I even pulled in a good sized flounder in the net.. the shrimp were tasty.. we let the flounder go.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
number one place and will always be my number one place... Louisiana.. i love walking into the little seafood shops around LA and being to buy peel & eat shrimp or crawfish as well as fresh seafood.

i have friends that are more like family there and i would love to go back. the missus asks me everyday if i would move back to Louisiana and i always tell her..."In a heartbeat"

Italy, always wanted to visit one of my best friends that lives there. I want to try the different regional Italian foods.

I want to visit Georgia again, this time i want to cook with Paula Dean.

Tulsa OK... because i want to cook with and eat with AllenOK, he has shown me some good food and some great recipes.

S.Shepherd

-Maine. LOBSTER, BABY!

-China. 'nuff said!

-France. 'nuff said.

-Italy. 'nuff said.

ya,honstly the pacific northwest would rock for seafood.

NOLA... I'd be afraid of having a heart attack-- gotta love the roux:respect:

I'm not a big lobster fan..maybe I just havent had good lobster. A friend of ours lives in Boston...I about crapped myself when I found out what he pays for them from the lobsterman.

Ahh....you wanna eat the corn fungus eh? I wonder what it wouls tate like in a cream sauce over pasta:wink:

France...wife and I were talkind about it, along with Italy. I want to get out to the country , rustic- native-regional. No stacked foods, or foam for me please-- oh, and no little dots or streaks of sauce on my plate, it just seems pretentious.

Lefty

Yank
I noticed a few Maines in your replies. Nothing like going down to the harbor and buying lobster or seafood right off the boats. I purchased some scallops for $70 a gallon and slpit them up with a friend a few weeks back. Yummy. I have a couple of pounds of hadock in the freezer that needs to get turned into a fish chowder too.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
A lot of foods out there I would like to eat again. Most anywhere in Asia, Italy, Spain, Greece and the US. One place that I've been in the US that has great food in Washington State especially in and around the Seattle area.

S.Shepherd

places my wife and I have been to where we enjoyed the food.

Puerto Rico:
Really great food, excellent fruit and fish. Like I said, I like rustic food. Anyplace that takes chicken, rice, peas, carots , garlic and cooks it in a pot and plops it on your table with fresh bread is my friend:clap:

Dutch west indies:
St.Martin is the food capitol of the carribbean. Dutch on one side, french on the other. 35miles around, you can get french pastries in the morning and really good steaks/pasta almost anywhere.

Hawaii:
A mix of just about everything I like. Hawaiians do pork like noone else.peroid
Out of this world fish, fruit, even the beef is awesome. Throw in a mix of chinese/japanese/korean/thai and portuguese.. can you tell I love hawaii:blush:

and then there's Japan...
Noodles to die for, fish that melts in your mouth like butter. Go to a market, it seems the fruit/veg is from another planet-- almost perfect ( and the price reflects it)
Here's an example
Picture1077.jpg

Go to an izakaya to hang out, you end up with a marathon of drinking and eating. The best food you can eat..everything grilled over natural lump charcoal, skewerd on sticks...many wrapped with bacon:w00t2: You end up feeling like your at a friends house..and end up going back to your hotel a few hours before sun up

Last edited:
I'm planning an extended trip over the summer, from Wisconsin and Minnesota westward through the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Vancouver - maybe even Banff and Lake Louise, take about 2 or 3 months. I hope to find at least a few places like on Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives; seafood in the PNW; whatever other targets of opportunity I come across. Mostly sample a wide variety of whatever is notable locally on the way.

Fred

lilylove

Back to Italy for more pasta!
Back to Greece for more GYROS!!

Stay here in Mexico for more EVERYTHING!!!

AllenOK

Tulsa OK... because i want to cook with and eat with AllenOK, he has shown me some good food and some great recipes.

You're gonna make me blush!

I think I need to add to my list:

-Chesapeake Bay - I was born in Portsmouth, VA (Navy brat), but never acquired a taste for crab while we lived there. I would love to catch fresh blue crab, and cook/eat the things that afternoon.

My old Exec. Chef went on vacation up to Maine many years ago. He told me that every day, he went down to the dock and bought lobsters for $4/each!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Oh well - no one wants to come here for the food. Hopefully he company will do.

I would like to go to one of the great seafood places with one of you guys who knows how to cook and eat them and have a go.
Lousiana for the Cajun food - something I have always wanted to try
Just once to go to El Bulle in Spain. (European equivelent of the French Laundry)
Anywhere else in Spain
I love going to France
Just about anywhere else to eat the authentic cuising not the Anglaisised verisions.

Last edited:

The Tourist

Banned
AllenOK, I want to come to your place--holding a sharpening kit and an empty wallet--and tell you I want something from "the dirty side."

I hope to one day live in your rec-room.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
New Orleans....

I cannot stay away. Any longer than a 8 months and I start to climb the walls. The longest stretch between visits has been 14 months. Our next trip is scheduled for July...and that will be 15 months between.

The food is like a siren's call.

I love Boston's north end. Excellent italian neighbourhood.

Go to the islands - Jamaica, Punta Cana, etc...and everything tastes good. That's because you've spent the day drinking and soaking up the sun.

Some of the best fish in the world can be had in Key West.