Monday Feb. 23rd - What's For Dinner?

PanchoHambre

I'm thinking Enchilada Pie...

easy, good for cold weather, and great for leftovers

Also CHEAP (it's a budget week for me) and I have all the ingredients.

AllenOK

Well, PeppA told me that there are A LOT of pork chops in the fridge. She mentioned brining and grilling them. BAM! I'm off!

I made a basic brine (see my Brine 101 thread), added equal amounts of brown sugar : salt, some cracked black pepper, thyme, rosemary, and garlic. I let the seasonings steep in the hot liquid for a few minutes while I measured out the balance of the water (cold). I mixed the two, then added the chops.

Probably fried potatoes and who knows what for veg.

suziquzie

well, chicken is not for dinner.
:(
nor is a martini.
:(
maybe I'll sacrifice my last stash of basil in the freezer and make pesto. Darn, I was really hoping that crop would last me til the new one was up. Better plant a dozen and a half this year, a dozen didn't quite make it.

buckytom

Grill Master
i made pad thai last night.

this has to the the quickest, tastiest thing that i make. granted, the sauce and noodles come in a box, but with my additions, start to finish, it's done in 10 to 15 minutes.

i start by putting on a pot of water to boil for the noodles. while that's going, i peel and de-vein a pound of 20 count shrimp. often, they are already split and mostly de-veined, so it's only a matter of quickly peeling and rinsing to make sure there's no poop veins left.

the water should be boiling by now, so the heat is shut off and the noodles dropped in.

next, i chop up a bunch of scallions, and rinse a big handful of mung bean sprouts. then, i shell and roughly grind a handful of roasted peanuts.

now that the mise en place, well, ees en place, i put a tbsp or two of peanut oil into a wok, then the shrimp. as soon as the shrimp begin to turn the slightest bit pink, in goes the scallions and bean sprouts. everything is stir fried for a minute, then the noodles drained and tossed with the shrimp and veg..

the sauce from the box is added, as well as the ground peanuts. a lime is quartered and juiced into the wok.

and that's it: pad thai.

i can't recommend "thai pavillion" brand of pad thai noodles and sauce in a box enough over other popular brands, like "thai kitchen" and "thai palace". the sauce is nutty and sweet, but not too sweet, and the noodles don't turn to mush if you overlook them for 30 seconds.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
sounds like alot of pork chops tonight..lol

we have some pork loin chops in the fridge.

going to make spicey pork taco's and also regular ground beef taco's

homecook

Took my mom to dr.'s appt. and didn't get out til almost 6 pm. We went to Damon's and had artichoke/spinach dip, onion straws, bloody marys, Bud and of course ribs. Yummy!!!!

Barb