Baked Onions

homecook

Onions, medium to large sized, use Vidalia, Spanish,or Maui-Maui, peeled (you can really use any med. onion)
Beef bouillion cubes
Butter
Water

Scoop out a well of the peeled onion with a spoon or a melon baller. Place the onions in an 8-inch square baking dish or a 10-inch pie plate, depending on how many you're making. Put a bouillon cube in each well. Top with butter. Pour about 1/4-inch of water in pan and cover tightly with foil. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 1 hour. Serve hot.
We like to make these on the grill or in a campfire. Wrap individual onion in foil and put on grill. Just cook until onions become soft. We make these in the evening at our cabin for just a late night snack!

Barb

chowhound

I've got a pic of a grilled one. I use that powdered bullion and leave the foil open on top.

Attachments

• onion.jpg
    onion.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 119

Calicolady

I love these grilled. But I sprinkle kosher salt and ground black pepper on too. Less frequently, alittle lemon juice or soy sauce or balsamic vinegar too.

chowhound

Thanks River. I'm glad Barb brought up this way to do onions. It's so simple and so good. I can't wait for the Vidalias to come into season.