Feta Cheese?

Derek

Banned
Can feta cheese be baked in the broiler?

If so is it going to cook properly?

Only reason I'm asking this question because I want to broil some Plablanos with feta cheese.

I will be searing the Plablanos first in an Iron Skillet

PanchoHambre

Hey Derek

not sure what you mean by "cook properly"

Feta won't melt like a soft cheese but it will get soft and should brown for you.

Are you stuffing the poblanos with feta? Or laying it on top of them?

What is the result you are going for?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
you can cook with feta cheese but it doesnt melt like a mozza or cheddar cheese will

Derek

Banned
Hey Derek

not sure what you mean by "cook properly"

Feta won't melt like a soft cheese but it will get soft and should brown for you.

Are you stuffing the poblanos with feta? Or laying it on top of them?

What is the result you are going for?
Stuffing it.

you can cook with feta cheese but it doesnt melt like a mozza or cheddar cheese will
Ok thank you Bam.

yeah, it kind of softens a little, but doesnt actually melt and flow like other cheeses.
Ok thanks so should I just use shredded chedder cheese for the stuffed part? then use the feta cheese for a coating on top?

Derek

Banned
If u combine the two cheese, the chedar will melt and kinda hold the feta together, and probably taste pretty good.
Good idea, Thanks man.

I'm getting hungry for them now but I've had too much salt & suger today so I will have to wait until tomorrow.

PanchoHambre

Stuffed it will work out wont get melty but will get soft... a creamier feta may work better than a crumbly one. Not sure what is available to you but if you have a variety of feta choose the creamier for stuffing. I used to be able to get this amazing Bulgarian feta in Queens... amazing stuff.

Larry's idea of adding a softer cheese is good

another idea for stuffing Poblanos would be some Queso Fresco (sort of similar to feta basically a mexican farmers cheese) and a white cheese like Oxaca (mozzarella is similar)... if you have a latin market you will find these there.

good luck

Derek

Banned
Stuffed it will work out wont get melty but will get soft... a creamier feta may work better than a crumbly one. Not sure what is available to you but if you have a variety of feta choose the creamier for stuffing. I used to be able to get this amazing Bulgarian feta in Queens... amazing stuff.

Larry's idea of adding a softer cheese is good

another idea for stuffing Poblanos would be some Queso Fresco (sort of similar to feta basically a mexican farmers cheese) and a white cheese like Oxaca (mozzarella is similar)... if you have a latin market you will find these there.

good luck
Thanks bro, I will go ahead and see what other feta type cheeses I have available too me.

By the way when doing stuff plabanos do you gut them like a pumpkin? Or do you slice them in half and then sear the flavor in with the iron skillet?

PanchoHambre

hmm not really sure... either way I would remove the seeds

You could cut the top off and fill with stuffing and roast or you could half them and place filling in the cavity and broil so it browns... but them maybe I would fill with more than just cheese... like a mix of cheese and rice or chorizo or something

if I was making a sauce or using the roasted peppers in a recipe I would roast whole then skin and seed to get the max flavor.

Roasting peppers leaves you a lot of room to play... have fun with it!

Derek

Banned
hmm not really sure... either way I would remove the seeds

You could cut the top off and fill with stuffing and roast or you could half them and place filling in the cavity and broil so it browns... but them maybe I would fill with more than just cheese... like a mix of cheese and rice or chorizo or something

if I was making a sauce or using the roasted peppers in a recipe I would roast whole then skin and seed to get the max flavor.

Roasting peppers leaves you a lot of room to play... have fun with it!
Thanks man, I'm not sure how I want to do these.