• Yes

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Anyone interested in a chat for NCT? Not sure it is anything you would be interested in, Doc.

babe

as you may remember this was tried on a site that shall remain nameless. didn't work at all and no went on it. wouldn't hurt to try though. i would probably use it.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I was on there several times. There were a couple of times you were on also, but, you didn't answer. I guess you were away from the computer.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I probably wouldn't use it very often.

However, if it's not a lot of effort to set up, and it's available, I'd try it again.

Lee

Y

YT2095

I can get the IRC Server and hosting for you (free of course), just say when ;)

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry guys, but I'm against it. I've seen it cause issues on another forum. It takes away posts, as people are chatting instead of posting. There is no record of conversations that anyone can refer back to unless I do some creative log management.

Once we've grown more if the demand is there maybe I'll reconsider, but this gets a no vote from me for now. :hide:

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Hey, no problem. This is the best way to get an honest opinion. 10/10 are not be enough to do anything anyway. It was just a thought, so, I threw it out there:wink: Besides, I think we have already made you work harder by bombarding you, lol

The Tourist

Banned
Doc, please re-consider.

We have a pretty chatty group here late at night. Not many folks are posting then, anyway.

We correspond by sending PMs.

A chat room would be more inclusive, and it might bring some people back to participate.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have not seen a char room work long term.

Just my opinion.

BTW - Texas girl - Speaking what is in your mind is great. Don't feel bad.

AC

Calicolady

I haven't had to PM that much here.
I like that mostly we can say what we want/feel here.
And would hate to feel we no longer can excpt in some chat area.
That definately would change my opinion of NCT.
We've all sidelined or gone off topic in so many threads here and others have chimed right in, I wouldn't want to have to go somewhere else; chat, to do it.

Last edited:
I can see that it might help some in that it would make questions and answers almost instantaneous. So, I might pop on and see a friend and ask a quick question or two. Right now I am finding the PM system quite cumbersome, but that is more likely a reflection of my lack of understanding of how it works. So, I might use the chat a little, but I can also see there is a potential for a downside to it, as Doc related. I really like it here as it is !!! Nice people, lots of varied opinions, and no drama that I have seen.

The Tourist

Banned
I tend to be more forgiving with "thread drift" in a forum. Probably because I got into this forum thing later in life.

Things like typing in all caps, drift, and debating don't bother me one bit. It's the usual mix of things that might happen if we were all together in real life at dinner.

However, things like poor syntax and spelling, bizarre abbreviations, too much reliance on smilies, pages without paragraphs and continuous cutting and pasting drive me around the bend.

In chat, I can ignore the chatterboxes by perusing over them, much like "tuning out" a guy over drinks.

However, if someone I know and like enters, I can engage them.

I just wish I had a cyber-kinetic-smilie pool cue to smack the drunks, like in the old all-real days.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Why have a chat feature?
If you want to talk to someone on the board that badly, PM them.
Like Doc said, chats take away from posting on the forum.

Anyway.. isn't a forum sorta like a slow-mo chat anyway??
I think so. ;)

Chat rooms suck, IMO.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
One can always share instant messaging information with your buddies here if you like.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Why have a chat feature?
If you want to talk to someone on the board that badly, PM them.
Like Doc said, chats take away from posting on the forum.

Anyway.. isn't a forum sorta like a slow-mo chat anyway??
I think so. ;)

Chat rooms suck, IMO.

wow, tell us how you really feel:yum:
Yes, you're right, forums are a slow-mo chat. I just get bored easy waiting
3.gif

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
One can always share instant messaging information with your buddies here if you like.

True, but, I don't want to do that again. I made that mistake before. Had 3 and sometimes 4 boxes pop up as soon as I logged on to my computer.

The Tourist

Banned
Had 3 and sometimes 4 boxes pop up as soon as I logged on to my computer.

Yeah, that drives me nuts, as well.

I switch on the forums--usually as a diversion from computer work--and I get this box that pops up and freezes out everything else. Yikes, there a private message counter in the upper right hand corner, anyway.

But like I said, I work on my computer--so I have pop-up blockers, firewalls, etc. I have to shut down three windows to get to this urgent message.

Which usually is: "Get any snow last night in Wisconsin?"

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Yeah, that drives me nuts, as well.

I switch on the forums--usually as a diversion from computer work--and I get this box that pops up and freezes out everything else. Yikes, there a private message counter in the upper right hand corner, anyway.

But like I said, I work on my computer--so I have pop-up blockers, firewalls, etc. I have to shut down three windows to get to this urgent message.

Which usually is: "Get any snow last night in Wisconsin?"

hey, maybe it was urgent to them:yum::yum:

True, but, I don't want to do that again. I made that mistake before. Had 3 and sometimes 4 boxes pop up as soon as I logged on to my computer.

I'm with you on that one. The only things I will ever be on are the ones where I can *hide* and then just see if a particular friend is on. Just because I am on the computer doesnt mean I want to have three heavy-duty conversations.

While I am not against it, I dont require much chat to be happy.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have one messenger and usually stay in invisible mode, unless I see someone log on that I'd like to talk to.
Most of my friends from FF are on that messenger anyhow.
Come to think of it, had one person send me a PM on there once AND ask me if I had my messenger open.
What the heck??
As long as we were PMing, why open the messenger?!
haha!