Baked Potato Casserole

homecook

6 large baked potatoes, grated
2 cans cream of chicken soup
8 ounces sour cream
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup butter or margarine, cubed
2 cups crushed potato chips

Put shredded potatoes in baking pan. Mix sour cream with soup, pour on top of potatoes. Arrange cheese over. Dot with the butter. Layer the crushed chips evenly over all. Bake at 350 F degrees for 55 minutes. Makes 8 servings.

Barb

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Hey, that is simple enough and sounds pretty good. Sprinkle some bacon and chives in there and I'm sold!!

I am sure it tastes wonderful, but I felt my cholesterol go up and arteries begin to clog just reading the recipe !! I hope everyone has their heart dr on speed dial.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holey moley, homecook and texasgirl - you guys are killing me with this recipe and the "fixins"!

Riverside, how about if you just have a small portion to go with roast turkey breast and steamed broccoli?

Lee

Holey moley, homecook and texasgirl - you guys are killing me with this recipe and the "fixins"!

Riverside, how about if you just have a small portion to go with roast turkey breast and steamed broccoli?

Lee

Yes, that is exactly what I do, try to balance it out with a lot of other pretty healthy stuff, and then do right for the next few days. But I am definitely not a "Teetotaler" so to speak.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Quick question as I plan to make this Monday night. Do you bake the potatoes first until fully cooked and then shred into the baking dish?

homecook

Quick question as I plan to make this Monday night. Do you bake the potatoes first until fully cooked and then shred into the baking dish?

Keltin, I bake them partially. They're alot easier to grate that way. The casserole bakes for almost an hour so they will get done.

Barb

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, as promised, I made this tonight! I didn’t use bacon because DW recently got food poisoning from some bad bacon, and she is still not ready to eat it yet. Instead, I used diced ham.

I let DW taste it first as she was about to knock me down anyway! :yum:

I sat back in anxious anticipation, and she finally, after carefully chewing, said……You will not believe your mouth!

I took a bite, and agree. The textures are off the chart. Smooth on the bottom for potatoes, creamy in the middle with the soup mixture, “melty” with the cheese, and then BAM crunchy on top with the potato crumble. THEN, the mixing of the tastes between the cream soup, potatoes, ham, sour cream, cheese!!! Good lord! This is probably a sin, but I’m eating seconds!

AWESOME! This is now, as DW said, a standard dish in our house. The epitome of comfort food! Very good!

This is great as is, but already we’re talking of all that you could do with this dish such as using Broccoli Cheese soup and some florets, or even adding eggs and onion for a breakfast casserole. This is really versatile and amazing!

Thank you so much homecook!!! You rock!!

First, the shredded potatoes and diced ham.
2mkvr.jpg

Then the soup and sour cream mixture.
b71fet.jpg

Now the cheese.
1zz2805.jpg

Finally the crumbled chips for the topping.
zogs3a.jpg

After baking, here is a serving plated.
dzusfa.jpg

Last edited:

homecook

Thank you so much for trying this Keltin! I'm so happy you both liked it. :mrgreen: The pictures are awesome.

The broccoli idea is a great one.

Barb

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you so much for trying this Keltin! I'm so happy you both liked it. :mrgreen: The pictures are awesome.

The broccoli idea is a great one.

Barb

Did it turn out according to the pics? Does yours look like what I posted? I had to cut the recipe in half for the two of us, but I tried. Thanks a million for this!:clap:

homecook

Did it turn out according to the pics? Does yours look like what I posted? I had to cut the recipe in half for the two of us, but I tried. Thanks a million for this!:clap:

Exactly!!! :applause:
Couldn't have been more perfect. Job well done! :thumb:

Barb

Constance

6 large baked potatoes, grated
2 cans cream of chicken soup
8 ounces sour cream
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup butter or margarine, cubed
2 cups crushed potato chips

Put shredded potatoes in baking pan. Mix sour cream with soup, pour on top of potatoes. Arrange cheese over. Dot with the butter. Layer the crushed chips evenly over all. Bake at 350 F degrees for 55 minutes. Makes 8 servings.

Barb

That sounds like a recipe I have that calls for using frozen hash brown potatoes. I'm sure the fresh is a lot better.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Homecook, just wanted to let you know that we shared some of this with our neighbors. They are a couple our age, and he likes to cook as well, so we trade dishes all the time. They all LOVED this! Even the kids were going ga-ga over it! It didn’t last long at all!

Thanks again for the great recipe! :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well holy crap! My neighbors are now knocking on my door....and asking what? When am I gonna make this again? They want MORE! This is a GREAT recipe and the response is phenomenal. Thanks homecook, my neighbors are now beating down the door! :yum:

homecook

Well holy crap! My neighbors are now knocking on my door....and asking what? When am I gonna make this again? They want MORE! This is a GREAT recipe and the response is phenomenal. Thanks homecook, my neighbors are now beating down the door! :yum:

:mrgreen: I'm so happy to share!! Tell your neighbors I'm so glad they enjoyed the recipe and you too!!
Now get busy!!!!!

Barb

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Made this again tonight. Neighbors are raving!! We actually traded. He made chicken casserole and I made Homecook’s Baked Potato Casserole. Wonderful!

I actually did 2 tonight. One was a straight recipe, and the next used Broccoli and Cheese soup with Broccoli Florets.

Straight Recipe, done and from the oven.
Step1.jpg

Plated straight recipe. Yum!
Step2.jpg

Slant to recipe, add broccoli. Push the florets into the soup mixture before covering in cheese.
Step3.jpg

Plated Broccoli slant.
Step4.jpg

Have a Broccoli bite?
step5.jpg

You ROCK Homecook, thank you! And my neighbors thank you as well!! :clap:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
These are incredible!! Everyone is absolutely loving this! I think I'm in trouble! :lol:

But seriously, this tastes sooooooooooo good!!! I love the crumble on top with the velvety creamy mix in the middle. Awesome!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, I played with the recipe a bit and made a Broccoli and Cheese version. In the end, it didn’t work that well. It wasn’t bad, but just wasn’t what the original recipe was.

My verdict, don’t mess with the recipe! Leave as is and enjoy!