Fried Green Tomatoes

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
my mom loves to make these. my family loves to eat them, i like to eat them once every 15 years or so..lol

2 eggs
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
1-1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspooon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 large green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
vegetable oil for frying

In a broad bowl, mix together the eggs and buttermilk. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Soak the tomato slices in this liquid for up to 5 minutes.

Whisk together the remaining flour, salt, and pepper.

Heat about 1-inch of oil to 350 degrees in a heavy skillet.

Dredge the tomato slices, one at a time, in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.

Fry the slices in uncrowded batches in the hot oil. (Slices should not overlap as they cook.) Fry each until crisp and transfer to paper towel to drain.

Salt to taste.

Serve with tomato chutney.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda with you on these. Their reputation seems to exceed their true worth. I see them as a novelty, and more often as a waste of what would have been a week later a wonderful ripe tomato. Occasionally, I decide I have to have them and that I must have been wrong before, and I will make some, and my reaction is always, THEY ARE OK. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but then I never care for them anywhere else either.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I'm kinda with you on these. Their reputation seems to exceed their true worth. I see them as a novelty, and more often as a waste of what would have been a week later a wonderful ripe tomato. Occasionally, I decide I have to have them and that I must have been wrong before, and I will make some, and my reaction is always, THEY ARE OK. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but then I never care for them anywhere else either.

no matter who prepares them, no matter how many times i try them, they always taste the same...

kind of like liver, either you like it or you dont

I agree that the tomatoes always taste the same, but I cant go with the liver comparison.

I *love* liver, but only when prepared the way I like it, and almost no one does. Which brings up an idea .... I may have to start a liver discussion. Thanks for the idea.

Jeff G.

Try fried red tomatoes sometime. Delicate to cook.. but the flavor is spot on.

mix some flour and cornmeal together, add salt a pepper.
Take a nice meaty tomato, slice and flour. Lay on a hot greased skillet, brown each side... Careful, treat them gently as they will fall apart. Fantastic with just a little salt.

Take a nice meaty tomato, slice and flour. Lay on a hot greased skillet, brown each side... Careful, treat them gently as they will fall apart. Fantastic with just a little salt.

I hate to say it .... I never thought of that !!! (how is that for some "boxed-in" thinking??)

I bet I would like those a lot. Thanks for the Idea.

I like a hot tomato sandwich I invented. piece of toasted bread, thick slice of tomato, some herbs, some cheese over top (any of several kinds), stick under broiler until cheese bubbles, and top it other piece of toast. That is very good.

homecook

I like a hot tomato sandwich I invented. piece of toasted bread, thick slice of tomato, some herbs, some cheese over top (any of several kinds), stick under broiler until cheese bubbles, and top it other piece of toast. That is very good.

I always put tomato on my grilled cheese sandwiches...delish.

I use that same breading when I make fried zucchini. I'm not crazy about the green tomatoes.

Barb

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
My mom did the same thing that DBTR described for herself. She loves tomatoes. It is funny that you consider it your invention. lol

My mom did the same thing that DBTR described for herself. She loves tomatoes. It is funny that you consider it your invention. lol

Well, in the truest sense I am sure you are correct, for as you know they say there Really is No Original Thought, that everything has been thought of before; what I was trying to convey, inadequately enough, was that no one that I knew did it, and that I had no outside inspiration.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

You should post that and get credit for it in the contest! And it sounds interesting as well. I have had fried green tomatoes, and am willing to try this recipe, but I have to go with the consensus they are OK.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I love tomatoes, and I love fried green tomatoes. My husband is from up north, so he's not into a lot of things that I love.......fried okra :wub:, fried eggplant, fried yellow squash.....I could go on. So, I've learned to get those kinds of things when we eat out. I don't make them so much at home because he won't eat them. Y'all don't know what you're missing :wink:.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOVE fried green tomatoes! I make fried green tomato parmesan every year.

DBTRS, try a little mayo on your toasted hot tomato sandwich. Hellman's mayo.

Lee

GotGarlic

There used to be a restaurant here that had a fried green tomatoes appetizer - they stacked it with goat cheese rounds. Yummy!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i'm from the north and mom grew tomatoes to beat the band!! she had a neon green thumb!! we had lots of fried green tomatoes and onions. she floured thick slices of green tomatoes and thick slices of onion and fried them together.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've made fried green tomatoes many times, and have either made parm. or served them as a side dish.

But on vacation this past week, I ordered them in a restaurant as an appetizer. Served with aioli, and garnished with green onions.

Perfect!

I will make them as football game day munchies next fall, when I've got too many green tomatoes!

Lee

Attachments

• Fried green tomatoes.JPG
    Fried green tomatoes.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 394
Thickly-sliced red tomatoes are excellent sauteed in butter. In fact, they're a traditional part of an English "mixed grill" breakfast. I don't flour them or anything - just saute in a goodly amount of butter & serve with fried eggs, turkey sausages, turkey ham, turkey bacon, etc., etc. Delicious!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made an edited version of Bam's fried green tomatoes posted above, with the last of my garden tomatoes.

They were TERRIFIC! I have a few more green tomatoes and will use this recipe again.

I really like the flour compared to the cornmeal version.

Served with Robert's Louisiana Greens over rice, with a corn English muffin, and a dipping sauce of bleu cheese dressing and Frank's hot sauce.

Here's what I did:

Lee's Version of Bam's Fried Green Tomatoes

1 egg
3/4 cup fat free Half and Half (it's what I had)
3/4 cup self-rising flour
1 teaspooon salt
Old Bay Seasoning

4 small green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
vegetable oil for frying

Slice the tomatoes and place them on a cookie rack over some paper towels. Lightly salt them and let them drain for 30 minutes. Pat dry. Sprinkle a little Old Bay seasoning on both sides.

In a bowl, mix together the egg and cream. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Soak the tomato slices in this liquid for up to 5 minutes.

Whisk together the remaining flour, salt, and pepper.

Heat about 1-inch of oil to 350 degrees in a heavy skillet.

Dredge the tomato slices, one at a time, in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.

Fry the slices in uncrowded batches in the hot oil. (Slices should not overlap as they cook.) Fry each until crisp and transfer to paper towel to drain.

Salt to taste.

Attachments

• Green tomatoes.JPG
    Green tomatoes.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Green tomatoes, sliced and salted.JPG
    Green tomatoes, sliced and salted.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Green tomatoes, soaking.JPG
    Green tomatoes, soaking.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Green tomatoes, fried.JPG
    Green tomatoes, fried.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Greens and fried green tomatoes.JPG
    Greens and fried green tomatoes.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 125

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Me, too, Peep - I just have a couple left from my garden.

But I read somewhere that fried red tomatoes are delicious, too. Might try that this winter.

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Me, too, Peep - I just have a couple left from my garden.

But I read somewhere that fried red tomatoes are delicious, too. Might try that this winter.

Lee

I have made fried red tomatoes. They don't taste the same. Green tomatoes always had a tart flavor to me. Red are mild.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tonight's easy fried green tomato recipe was just "dip slices in egg, then flour (with a pinch of salt), then fry in a little vegetable oil until brown".

I had a chunk of mozzarella and a chunk of parm, so I made little stacks. It was okay, but I would have been happier with just the fried slices.

Lee

Fried green tomatoes.JPG

Green tomato stacks.JPG

Green tomatoes plated.JPG