Who Loves Rutabagas ?? What's Your Favorite Recipe ??

I was at the store yesterday and they had some nice-looking Rutabagas, and I bought several. I was thinking I never seem to hear much about them. Who all likes Rubabagas and What is your Favorite way to prepare them ??

Oh, well I guess I know what I have to do now .....

My three favorite ways are just Skillet Simmered, Mashed (Whipped) and my famous Rutabaga Souffle, that was my own creation.

Guess I will have to try to commit them to written recipe form.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh, well I guess I know what I have to do now .....

My three favorite ways are just Skillet Simmered, Mashed (Whipped) and my famous Rutabaga Souffle, that was my own creation.

Guess I will have to try to commit them to written recipe form.

Please do!

PanchoHambre

The only thing they are regularly used for is a matchstick root vegetable medley

I have included them with mashed potatoes for a different taste and cooked them with pork and chicken alongside other root veggies but never done a dish that featured them.

I like them... turnips too but they always get that quizzical look from potato eaters

babe

i love em just mashed with lots of butter. sorta like a squash in texture
turnips a fave cooked same way and chopped in soup

Skillet Rutabagas

Peel the Rutabaga. Be Careful. I usually whack it in half with a meat cleaver to have a flat stable surface, and then peel it downward on a cutting board. Cut in small pieces, maybe the size of a quarter and an inch thick. Put in a skillet with a bit of ham and a spoon of brown sugar and about 1/2 cup of water. Cover and simmer about 12-15 min. Sometimes I add a bit of nutmeg. Simple and good.

Someone mentioned Turnips. A rutabaga is actually a yellow-meated, sweeter and slightly milder-tasting turnip, but different enough that it has its own name.

Mashed or Whipped Rutabagas. Peel an equal amount of Rutabagas and Irish Potatoes. Boil Separately. The Rutabagas will take twice as long to get tender. Then mash well, and add some butter and milk and beat and add any seasonings you may like. Sometimes I add a chopped onion when the potatoes are about half-done a finish boiling them.

Rutabaga Puff or Souffle.

Peel and cube enough Rutabaga to equal about 4 cups. Boil until tender. Mash well. Mix in about 3 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar, about a half-stick of butter and mix well. Add 4 eggs and beat up real nice and fluffy. (I use the wire whip with my KA mixer for this.) Then fold in about 1/2-2/3 cup of ham shavings or a nice slice of baked ham chopped up and 2 cups of soft fresh bread crumbs. (For the ham, I use those little slivers that always accumulate when you have a baked ham, which this nearly always accompanies. Add a sprinkle of nutmeg (well, I am a nutmeg kinda guy, so it is more than a sprinkle.) You can also add a bit of orange zest, too, if you like that. I do. Bake for about 35-40 Min until puffed and lightly brown.

If you dont tell them what this dish is, many people will like this who swear they dont like Rutabagas. I have had them take me back to the kitchen to show me which dish they were talking about when I was asked what it was and I told them it was Rutabagas, exclaiming all the while, "No, it's not Rutabagas, I dont like them!!"

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
i love em just mashed with lots of butter. sorta like a squash in texture
turnips a fave cooked same way and chopped in soup

Ditto, babe, but I add onions carmelized in butter. And black pepper. And a dash of cream.

Riverside, your recipes sound great!

Lee

Ditto, babe, but I add onions carmelized in butter. And black pepper. And a dash of cream.

Riverside, your recipes sound great!

Lee

And what wouldnt be better with caramelized onions and cream and lotsa pepper ??

I hope you will try one of my 'receipts' as I like to call them. The Puff is really good, and so much fun to serve to people who are fussy and would never eat rutabagas. When asked what it is I usually just tell them "It's a vegetable souffle'. Try it and tell me what you think."

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I am not sure what you are meaning .... do you eat the puree as such, or is it the basis of something else ??

It is a puree of rutabagas, carrots, and red potatoes. You use a mouli and add sweet butter. Some people add cream. It is very yummy.

The closest thing that I can compare it to is mashed potatoes.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
pretty simple how i like them...boiled,mashed,lots of butter and brown sugar...

rutabaga, turnip basically the same thing..just a different color... i use them whenever i am going to use a turnip...

stew mostly

It is a puree of rutabagas, carrots, and red potatoes. You use a mouli and add sweet butter. Some people add cream. It is very yummy.

The closest thing that I can compare it to is mashed potatoes.

That sounds good. I already make it with the potatoes, and sometimes some onion, so adding some carrot would go right along, and would give some pretty color. Thanks for the idea.