"Is it done yet?" You can't tell by looking. Use a food thermometer to be sure.

waybomb

"Is it done yet?" You can't tell by looking. Use a food thermometer to be sure.

Thermometers Aren't Just for Turkey Anymore
These days, food thermometers aren't just for your holiday roasts—they're for all cuts and sizes of meat and poultry, including hamburgers, chicken breasts, and pork chops. Using a food thermometer when cooking meat, poultry, and even egg dishes is the only reliable way to make sure you are preparing a safe and delicious meal for your family.

Why Use a Food Thermometer?
Everyone is at risk for foodborne illness. One effective way to prevent illness is to use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of meat, poultry, and egg dishes. Using a food thermometer not only keeps your family safe from harmful food bacteria, but it also helps you to avoid overcooking, giving you a safe and flavorful meal.

Some people may be at high risk for developing foodborne illness. These include pregnant women and their unborn babies and newborns, young children, older adults, people with weakened immune systems, and individuals with certain chronic illnesses. These people should pay extra attention to handle food safely.

What Are the Signs of Foodborne Illness?
The signs and symptoms of foodborne illness range from upset stomach, diarrhea, fever, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and dehydration, to more severe illness—even death. Consumers can take simple measures to reduce their risk of foodborne illness, especially in the home.

"Is It Done Yet?"
How To Use a Food Thermometer

• <LI value=1>Use an instant-read food thermometer to check the internal temperature toward the end of the cooking time, but before the food is expected to be "done." <LI value=2>The food thermometer should be placed in the thickest part of the food and should not be touching bone, fat, or gristle. <LI value=3>Compare your thermometer reading to the USDA Recommended Safe Minimum Internal Temperatures to determine if your food has reached a safe temperature.
  • Make sure to clean your food thermometer with hot, soapy water before and after each use!
Large-dial oven-safe or oven-probe thermometers may be used for the duration of cooking.

Because there are so many types of food thermometers, it is important to follow the instructions for your food thermometer.

USDA Recommended Safe Minimum Internal Temperatures

• Steaks & Roasts - 145 °F
  • Fish - 145 °F
  • Pork - 160 °F
  • Ground Beef - 160 °F
  • Egg Dishes - 160 °F
  • Chicken Breasts - 165 °F
  • Whole Poultry - 165 °F
Seeing Isn't Believing
Many people assume that if a hamburger is brown in the middle, it is done. However, looking at the color and texture of food is not enough—you have to use a food thermometer to be sure! According to USDA research, 1 out of every 4 hamburgers turns brown before it reaches a safe internal temperature. The only safe way to know if meat, poultry, and egg dishes are "done" is to use a food thermometer. When a hamburger is cooked to 160 °F, it is both safe and delicious!

Be Food Safe! Prepare With Care
Know how to prepare, handle, and store food safely to keep you and your family safe. Bacteria can grow on meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, and dairy products, as well as cut-up or cooked vegetables and fruits.

CLEAN: Wash hands and surfaces often
Wash your hands with warm, soapy water for 20 seconds before and after handling food. Wash your cutting boards, dishes, etc., with hot, soapy water after preparing each food item. Wash fruits and vegetables with cold water before using. There is no need to wash or rinse meat or poultry.

SEPARATE: Don't cross-contaminate Separate raw, cooked, and ready-to-eat foods while shopping, preparing, or storing. Never place cooked food on a plate which previously held raw meat, poultry, or seafood.

COOK Cook food to proper temperatures
Use a food thermometer to be sure!

CHILL Refrigerate Promptly
Refrigerate or freeze perishables, prepared foods, and leftovers within 2 hours or sooner.

Fiesta Burgers
Makes 4 servings.

1 ½ pounds ground beef
¼ cup onion, chopped
2 tablespoons red bell pepper, finely chopped
3 tablespoons picante sauce or salsa
2 teaspoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
4 sesame seed hamburger buns
leaf lettuce and sliced tomatoes

Preparation Directions
  • Wash hands with soap and warm water for 20 seconds before handling the meat.
  • In a bowl, mix ground beef with onion, red pepper, picante sauce or salsa, mustard, horseradish (if desired), salt and pepper.
  • Form into four burgers, about ¾ inch thick.
  • Wash hands with soap and warm water for 20 seconds after handling the meat.
  • Using utensils, place burgers on grill that has reached medium-high heat.
  • Check each burger with a food thermometer after approximately 10-15 minutes. Turn burgers as needed. A hamburger is done when it reaches 160 °F.
  • Clean the thermometer between uses with hot, soapy water.
  • Place burgers on buns and top with condiments and garnishes of choice.
  • After checking the final temperature, remember to clean the food thermometer with hot, soapy water.
USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline
1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854)
TTY: 1-800-256-7072
www.IsItDoneYet.gov

USDA does not endorse any products, services or organizations. USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: "Is it done yet?" You can't tell by looking. Use a food thermometer to be sure.

Good info Fred. :thumb: Wish I had one tonight, we grilled out burgers and some were not all the way done. :hide:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Re: "Is it done yet?" You can't tell by looking. Use a food thermometer to be sure.

Now me personally I cook to about 10 to 15 degrees below the recommend temp for meats. The reason is once the meat is resting it will continue to cook by about that much giving you a dry piece of meat due to over cooking. I really don't put much stock in all the fear for food born illness for most meats purchased in a super market today though I won't buy ground meat, can meats etc. I also am not a big fan of none kosher meats like hot dogs and bologna for example. As for eggs I simply cook them and I like my hamburgers rare so I grind my own meats. Nothing against the food police but I've only gotten food poisoning once and that was from a fish and chips lunch in London England. But then in all honesty I don't recommend eating any thing in England made buy local cooks, remember this is the land of fried mars bars. :wink:

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter

Fred way great I formation. I printed out a chart of temps. It is 3 pages. I put them in sheet protectors and yaled the sheets to the inside of the cabinet over my food prep area. It is now at eye level and handy. I even saw fw using it the other day. I keep a bottle of alcohol on the counter to clewb the probe.

PanchoHambre

I started using my food thermometer very soon after I started really cooking meats... partially for food safety but also to make sure I hit the right temps and did not overcook. Food poisoning definitely sucks but so does ruining a meal you put a ton of time into by overcooking.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Can I safely presume that by grinding your own steak burgers that the 145 degree temperature would be safe? I love a hot pink center in my steak burgers, and it hasn't made me ill yet. I buy family sized steaks and roasts when on sale, then play butcher and turn them into flip steaks, steak burgers and stew meat. Much more cost effective.

joec

Gold Site Supporter

That is the way I figure it Joe since that is the only way I get ground beef, or even pork for that matter. I simply buy a good piece of meat and grind it myself so there isn't an bone or organs in mine just pure muscle meat.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

Good info! I have a meat thermometer but it is not an instant read one. You have to stick it in the meat and wait for the needle to move.

waybomb

Don't presume anything. If you follow that path, you will eventually get very sick. NOBODY is immune to foodborne pathogens, even if you have an "iron" stomach.

Grind your own meat? Are you 100% certain you have no pathogens in the little cracks and crevices? Do you use a high ppm quat to sanitize? Do you test for pathogens? You can not see them with the naked eye. Items can appear as spotless as brand new, but have a deadly micro load.

Are you certain the surface of the steak or meat cut was completely free of pathogens? If not, those pathogens are now all mixed up throughout the ground meat, and then if you don't cook to lethality, well, you just may get sick.

Do what you will, but I will say I told you so if you get sick.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Do you use a high ppm quat to sanitize?

That sounded dirty! :yum:

But seriously, what about a good steak? I know most restaurants don't want to cook medium-rare, but what do you think? I prefer a pink center on my steaks.

joec

Gold Site Supporter

No but then again my meats get to the required temps but after they come off the heat, so I'm eating them at that temp and not 20 degrees more well done. As for ground beef if a steak that can go to 145 and be safe ground up it can if handled properly and cooked properly to the same temp and not 15 degrees higher.

I'm 62 years old, been sick once in my whole life from food born bacteria period so I would assume that the USDA and FDA don't have a clue as they seem to want us to eat nothing but man hole covers by their cooking instructions. I also grew up in a time when it was considered normal for people to eat a small amount of impurities in their foods hence we built up immunities to many of the things that will kill the kids today in their bacteria free, antibiotic cleansed world. No thanks at my age I won't change my eating habits because some so called expert is terrified of living the way nature intended us to eat.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

DW got food poisoning from some bad bacon a few weeks back. I've never had it before (and I didn't eat that bacon), but after seeing what she went through, I do NOT want it! Three days she was down. Ouch!

And now she never wants bacon again. DOUBLE Ouch!

waybomb

I'm 62 years old, been sick once in my whole life from food born bacteria period so I would assume that the USDA and FDA don't have a clue as they seem to want us to eat nothing but man hole covers by their cooking instructions. I also grew up in a time when it was considered normal for people to eat a small amount of impurities in their foods hence we built up immunities to many of the things that will kill the kids today in their bacteria free, antibiotic cleansed world. No thanks at my age I won't change my eating habits because some so called expert is terrified of living the way nature intended us to eat.

The USDA was not lying to me when I spent a wek in the hospital on my deathbed with severe salmonella.

I was only about 28 at the time. If I'd have picked up that much micro load at your age, guaranteed death. Take your chances JoeC. Good Luck to you. You can not build immunity to pathogens. You;ve been lucky. Take care.

waybomb

That sounded dirty! :yum:

But seriously, what about a good steak? I know most restaurants don't want to cook medium-rare, but what do you think? I prefer a pink center on my steaks.

Steaks is different. The inside of the steak theoretically can not become adulterated.

If the micro load on the surface is high enough, you can pick up pathogens on the inside. Most steaks I have tested had no pathogen counts on the surface, thus, none inside. There were spores and such, but no pathogens. Pink is probably fine 99.999% of the time. But are really wanting to take a chance?

The problem with grinding is two fold - pathogens on the meat and pathogens on the equipment. If on highly tainted piece of meat goes through a grinder, many thousands of pounds of ground meat can be contaminated. MANY multimillion dollar ground meat processors have gone BK because of it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter

The only thing certain in life is death, so I plan on living till my time comes, no problem as I've sure had a hell of a life in my years. :wink:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Steaks is different. The inside of the steak theoretically can not become adulterated.

If the micro load on the surface is high enough, you can pick up pathogens on the inside. Most steaks I have tested had no pathogen counts on the surface, thus, none inside. There were spores and such, but no pathogens. Pink is probably fine 99.999% of the time. But are really wanting to take a chance?

The problem with grinding is two fold - pathogens on the meat and pathogens on the equipment. If on highly tainted piece of meat goes through a grinder, many thousands of pounds of ground meat can be contaminated. MANY multimillion dollar ground meat processors have gone BK because of it.

So basically, solid flesh with exterior pathogens can be “cleansed” with searing the outside (like a steak), but if you grind it, you mix all of that up into a large pathogen filled mess?

waybomb

So basically, solid flesh with exterior pathogens can be “cleansed” with searing the outside (like a steak), but if you grind it, you mix all of that up into a large pathogen filled mess?

I would say for the most part that is true.

The problem comes into play with meat cutters not using hygienically clean utensils, contaminating the surface with a high micro load, and that micro gets to the inside.

But in general, commercial steaks and similar cut meat is pathogen free.

I eat my steaks med rare. Pink on the inside, not red. But I cut my own steaks, and get the entire muscle from a known source. Vacuum packed, and all Prime to Prime+. The source is a major supplier and has documented HACCP plans, QA plans, sanitation plans and programs, verification steps, full time FSIS inspector, etc.

Ever had a Prime+ rib eye. Oh God, talk about heaven.........

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter

The only thing certain in life is death, so I plan on living till my time comes, no problem as I've sure had a hell of a life in my years. :wink:

I'm with you Joe. The only thing I want cooked through is poultry, and certain kinds of fish.

I eat steaks rare to medium rare. Burgers medium, a little pink in the middle. Pork just past pink. Sushi and oysters, raw as the day is long.

This is not bravado, but rather a quality of life issue. I'm not going to live to 100 on the basis of eating tough steaks and hockey puck burgers. No way...

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Well I won't touch poultry at all, and not much on fish though I love shrimp, clams, lobster, crabs and crayfish. I also won't eat anything raw but vegetables for the most part. I like my hamburger almost raw and my steaks prepared by shaving its ass and knock the horns off of it and light a match under it then bring it on. Pork I like just a touch pink, lamb between my beef and pork. I'm also one of those that say if you are afraid of living then you aren't living. You can't go though life being terrified of everything that might hurt you if so you miss much of life itself.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

I like my meats excepting poultry and pork to be medium rare, but it was always my understanding you can achieve that and still get the meat hot enough to make it safe??

waybomb

No, not 100%.

On the other hand, you can probably go many years eating steak tartar without a problem. The food safety system here really is to thank for that.

But all you need is that one time, and your perspective will change. Mine did.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

Well, I can handle medium or above on everything but steaks. They gotta be medium rare but no higher than medium depending on the cut. Just can't help it LOL.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Hey waybomb, if you don't mind me asking, why are you so knowledgeable about this? Profession or a bad experience (or other)?

waybomb

In the food manufacturing business (meat). And, about 20 years ago, almost died from Salmonella.

I am not a psychotic clean freak now, but in personal life I do tend to err toward the safe side. In business, I have no choice but to ensure the highest hygienic manufacturing of ready to eat food.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

I can say, I have noticed myself using meat thermometers more and more, and being a lot pickier about what means I get and the condition of the packaging.

I got food poisoning away from home about two years ago, and it was unbelievable. Was sick for three days, and didnt want to see any food for a week. I actually felt sorta weak for about two weeks afterwards, and I am generally really tough .... nothing much bothers me.

Even though I didnt get it at home, I sure learned more respect for being on the safe side here at home, too.