Posting recipes

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
So, here's my problem....I don't follow all that many recipes so it's really difficult for me to actually post a recipe for you to try. I made this open ravioli the other day....home made egg pasta, rolled out, boiled....made two sauces for it, too. One was a lobster cream sauce, the other a fresh tomato and basil sauce. Plated one piece of pasta, ladled on the white sauce. Added fresh lobster slices. Added the tomato sauce. Topped it with another pasta layer. More tomato/basil and spooned the white sauce around it. Garnished with locatelli and fresh basil.

See....no real recipe, no measuring, no ingredient list....just me and what's in my head.

How the hell am I supposed to win a contest if I cannot post recipes?? I'm eating the dust of everyone's myriad of posted family heirloom recipes and all I can do is choke on the pebbles.

What about my cherry port sauce?? Sauteed shallots in butter till golden. Add port to deglaze. Add cherries, pitted please, and chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Using immersion blender, blend till smooth. Just before service, drizzle in a bit more port and stir just to swirl.

There. I do it all to taste, rarely write anything down and just as rarely follow a recipe.

So, what constitutes a recipe?? Does it have to have perfect measurements spelled out? Ever see a colonial cook book? A recipe for peach pie, for instance will tell you to remove the stones from a good number of peaches. What's a good number?? I like 8...is that good enough??
It will also tell you about lard, but if it's humid you may need to change your amount. To what??? Don't forget you have to cook it in an oven that is using logs....and when they get around to telling you how many logs to have burning and how high on the log the ash should be you kind of get the idea that you really are on your own..

They also measured in tea cups...:confused:

I'm all for sharing what I make, but please don't hold me to exact measurements. Unless it's a cake or some other type of dessert (and even then I often wing it) I don't have the inclination to actually follow recipes.

So, next weekend when I get around to making duck and andouille gumbo, or my bread pudding souffle, you'll have to experiment with the ingredients if you are as adventurous as I think you all are...:thumb:

And another thing...how can I bring in new posters if I have to stop mining at my previous local watering hole?? Back when I was working in the adult industry, my son actually believed I was dragging innocent men off the street and forcing them to session, plucking money from their wallets as they pleaded for mercy. :shock:(oh, those were the days...)....can bringing in new members really be any more different than that??

So, if you start seeing new members with names like 'whippingboy' and 'fredisbeatred', or 'floor'....you'll know I've pulled out the old client file...But, honestly, do you really want to talk about food with those people??:kiss::kiss: You'd be better off if I got Marianne involved...although you'd have to suffer through her version of Minestrone soup...which was nothing more than adding a can of progresso soup to a pot of ditalini. She always peeled me a mean orange when I was a little girl, though, and for that I'll always love her...:heart:

No, I think I'll stick with what I know...and go stand on the corner whispering 'step into my parlour' to unsuspecting men with bulging wallets..:tiphat:...

And if you want a really great breakfast treat, place the thin slices of half an apple on a slice of 7grain bread. Place some cheddar on top of that, and drizzle a bit of honey over that. Put it under a broiler for a moment or two... It's great with a cup of hot tea.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I can understand since most of mine I have to make and have my wife write down what I do. I rarely measure anything though i have measuring spoons I personally don't use then nor do I use measuring cups. This also has a lot to do with why I don't bake as that takes exact measurements in most cases. Now I will follow a recipe to try something but few ever stay that way as I add and delete some items to come up with my own. As for contests I really have no interest either as I really am none competitive at heart though it makes me happy when someone likes what I make, I've never been into mine is bigger than yours routine.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
VeraBlue, that is the problem with my mom's savory recipes. I know how to cook but I do not measure either. However, baking is formulaic and often relies on correct measurement although my grandma could bake from feel and by eye or a glass of this and a knob of that. I watched her and measured as she went to get some recipes out of her. It took longer but now, I know how she made certain things.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
See, we even have people measuring in doorknobs????? What if it's a french door knob?? Is that equal or greater than a glass knob??

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have the same problem, I need to learn to write my recipes down as I make em.
A pinch that, a smidgen of this, a dash of this other thing...LOL.
I have big hands, so that can really change from person to person!

PanchoHambre

I am not a recipe cook either... more of a what do I have at hand? and wing it! With the stuff I usually make. If I am cooking something new I usually look at a bunch of recipes and take what I like from them. Only occasionally do I follow a recipe to a T.

For me cooking is more of an ongoing game so I rarely make something the same exact way twice.

I like looking at recipes though they give me ideas and I am trying to write things down so when they work out well I can post and also remember what the hell I did for next time.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Same problem here. DW and I were just talking about it. Many of my recipes are about knowing how to apply the heat, when it is done right, and what to add to it so that it “looks” right, and tastes even better.

The best thing is to approximate. You know what a measuring cup is, so guesstimate how much liquid you add, how much spice (pinch, dash, to taste, etc), etc. Say things like “if too dry add more liquid”. In some of my recipes I just list spices and say “dust” the meat. Just explain how it should “look” (moist, firm, dry, flaky, etc), and then fire off the ingredients. That should be good enough for most to follow!! :biggrin:

And pictures really help!!! :biggrin:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Same problem here. DW and I were just talking about it. Many of my recipes are about knowing how to apply the heat, when it is done right, and what to add to it so that it “looks” right, and tastes even better.

The best thing is to approximate. You know what a measuring cup is, so guesstimate how much liquid you add, how much spice (pinch, dash, to taste, etc), etc. Say things like “if too dry add more liquid”. In some of my recipes I just list spices and say “dust” the meat. Just explain how it should “look” (moist, firm, dry, flaky, etc), and then fire off the ingredients. That should be good enough for most to follow!! :biggrin:

And pictures really help!!! :biggrin:

Believe it or not I can actually follow recipes like that! Especially ones that say "to taste".

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Well, I guess you all will just have to do the best you can. No one can expect more of you than that.

If your intent is to share and have people make successful dishes, and you can get the idea across, then I say go for it. People can always ask you questions and you can answer them in the thread and eventually, there will be a more substantial set of directions.

I know I am not good at guessing--a dash or a slurp. I am more a pastry person than a savory person and any chef will tell you that is two different sets of skills.

If this helps any, check out how I tried to describe how my family makes chopped liver. It is not your standard recipe but I did my best to describe how it is done.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well, I guess you all will just have to do the best you can. No one can expect more of you than that.

If your intent is to share and have people make successful dishes, and you can get the idea across, then I say go for it. People can always ask you questions and you can answer them in the thread and eventually, there will be a more substantial set of directions.

I know I am not good at guessing--a dash or a slurp. I am more a pastry person than a savory person and any chef will tell you that is two different sets of skills.

If this helps any, check out how I tried to describe how my family makes chopped liver. It is not your standard recipe but I did my best to describe how it is done.

I've always heard and stand by: Baking is a science, Cooking is an art.

lilylove

I agree Keltin 100%! I was never any good at science. TOO many rules. Art though is fun. You can change anything you want and make it your own.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Well, I'm predicting that Pie Susan will the winner of the recipe postings. I don't know anyone else (except perhaps Mama) who has more recipes at her fingertips for posting. Plus, I think she can post 12-15 each day, with proper time management, power naps and a couple protein shakes daily.:chef: Go getum PS!:bouncy:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well, I'm predicting that Pie Susan will the winner of the recipe postings. I don't know anyone else (except perhaps Mama) who has more recipes at her fingertips for posting. Plus, I think she can post 12-15 each day, with proper time management, power naps and a couple protein shakes daily.:chef: Go getum PS!:bouncy:

I'm torn on FryBoy and Bam......not to mention lilylove. All three of them are FLYING! I don't stand a chance, but I'm gonna try dammit! :yum:

PanchoHambre

I am more a pastry person than a savory person and any chef will tell you that is two different sets of skills.

oh yeah... on the rare occasion I try to bake I follow recipes... baking is a mystery to me I would have no idea how to wing it.... I suck at precision!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
naw... I'm just about done and ...I'm leaving Friday! Get posting Keltin!!!! Catch up!!!

Whew! So you're gonna give us a break come friday? :lol:

Homecook is another to watch out for...but hey do NOT stop. I don't mind coming in last as long as I was running with the big dogs for a little while! :yum:

lilylove

lets see...lay on the beach and drink myself silly or post recipes.. lay on the beach and drink myself numb or post recipes... oh the pain of making choices....

I'll let ya know what I decide..

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Well, I am not posting for the contest sake. If I were to win, I plan on donating the money back to Doc as he can use it to keep the site up and running.

I am just trying to help build the site. And yes, I have lots of recipes but I have to rewrite the directions in many more. That takes work.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
lets see...lay on the beach and drink myself silly or post recipes.. lay on the beach and drink myself numb or post recipes... oh the pain of making choices....

I'll let ya know what I decide..

Hmmm, that is one TOUGH decision you face there! :yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well, I am not posting for the contest sake. If I were to win, I plan on donating the money back to Doc as he can use it to keep the site up and running.

I am just trying to help build the site. And yes, I have lots of recipes but I have to rewrite the directions in many more. That takes work.

Exactly, it's not really about winning the contest, but about building the site as I suggested when I first proposed a contest of this type. More recipes, more Google hits, more traffic, bigger site, more members, more recipes, win-win!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Nice that you and I are on the same page with this, Keltin. I want to see Doc succeed because he was so kind to let us come here.

AllenOK

Wait a minute..........

There's a recipe contest going on?!?!?!?!?!?!

WTF? How come nobody told me?!?!?!?!?

I've got almost 6K recipes on my HDD. The only problem is that most of them are not mine, but come from other sources, many of which are copyrighted, so that rules them out.

I have been posting recipes, of my own design, but that was because I read something last week about everyone increasing their post count by 100 posts by the end of last week? I almost made it, too.

chowhound

Wait a minute..........

There's a recipe contest going on?!?!?!?!?!?!

WTF? How come nobody told me?!?!?!?!?

I've got almost 6K recipes on my HDD. The only problem is that most of them are not mine, but come from other sources, many of which are copyrighted, so that rules them out.

I have been posting recipes, of my own design, but that was because I read something last week about everyone increasing their post count by 100 posts by the end of last week? I almost made it, too.

Now that, I missed.....

High Cheese

Saucier
VB, I just guestimate. Even just an estimate of a dish it will still taste great since you seem to always use primo ingredients. One thing I probobly UNDERestimate is how much booze I put in my food. I don't want to turn people off by my dishes so I'll post what an average person may put in.

I can't remember the last time I actually followed a recipe, or I started to follow it then changed it up. I'm like you, all I really need is a few of the ingredients for the base of the dish then I'll put something together. I 'm no expert, but I have an idea as to what would make a dish.