Anyone heard of Apple Balsamic Vinegar

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I happen to catch a bit of Wolfgang Pucks cooking show this morning and he was talking about a guy in Austria that makes an apple balsamic done the same way they make standard balsamic vinegars. It was an interesting show in that the stuff is aged for 5 years up in oak barrels and they down size the barrel every year until they are at least 5 years old.

I wondering if anyone here had tasted the apple version. I use 5 year old Colavita 6 star basic balsamic for cooking but have a bottle of really expensive stuff 25 years old for salads only.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I picked up a bottle of ice cider vinegar once, but my wife broke it before I could try it out. Quite expensive if I remember right, but so is ice cider.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This is actually made exactly with the same methods used in Modena Italy for making the standard Balsamic only using apples instead of grapes. It also looks the same a molasses dark color and about as thick. He actually filled a wine glass and was passing it around for people to taste. Everyone seemed to like it and he kept sipping on it himself like it was wine.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
no i havent heard of it but after some looking around, i see all the different flavors of balsamic vinegar there really is.. pretty amazing

the wolfgang puck episode i saw was this one with this recipe

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/entertaining/article/0,2498,FINE_22197_5867062,00.html

https://www.ogourmet.com/By_Occasio...ars_-_250_ml_(G%F6lles,_Austria)/292/400/45/3

Balsamic Apple Vinegar, aged 8 years - 250 ml (Gölles, Austria)

Balsamic Apple Vinegar, aged for at least eight years in oak barrels. A specialty of Alois Gölles.

Balsamic apple vinegar is made from old, highly aromatic Styrian apple varieties like maschansker, bohnapfel, Ilzer weinler, rosenapfel and holzapfel. The carefully pressed juice is boiled down according to the traditional method, and the vinegar is aged for at least eight years in small oak barrels.

Even after this long maturation process, the lively fruit flavour of the apples is still present, but more elegantly focused and integrated into a multi-layered ensemble of flavours.

A wonderful complement to olive oils with a fruit note, as well as to Styrian pumpkin-seed oil. Only a few drops of this wonderful Apple Balsamic Vinegar lends an elegant spice to savoury dishes and also goes very well with terrines, aspics, curd cheeses, delicate salads, carpaccio and pannacotta-type desserts.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is the episode I saw today also, I'm sure it is a repeat since he hasn't had a show in years. I did a little research also and found a lot of different kinds also. I'm a major fan of the traditional type from Modena Italy though.

GotGarlic

When I was visiting my brother and sister-in-law in Oak Park, IL, my husband and I went to this place: Olive and Well

They have little kegs of olive oil and flavored vinegars you can try there. I bought some of the strawberry balsamic, and have since bought more through mail order; they have apple and fig, too. Yummy stuff.