Allen's Mushrooms D'uxelles mixture

AllenOK

This is a classic French "product" (sorry Wart). It's a great way to use leftover mushrooms that are getting ready to go, or leftover mushroom stems. You can also use wild mushrooms, but they won't have as much liquid. Please remember that this is all done to taste, so don't count on the measurement being exact.

Also, the best texture comes from hand-chopped. However, in the interest of time, I usually use the food processor, and just give it a couple of pulses and call it done.

2 T clarified butter
8 oz mushrooms, minced
1 - 2 shallots, minced
1 T garlic, minced
1/2 t thyme
1 t fresh rosemary, minced
freshly ground black pepper
1 T soy
2 T red wine
2 T beef stock
salt, to taste

Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the butter and swirl to coat. Add the mushrooms, shallots, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and pepper. Shake and/or stir the pan frequently. You may want to cover the pan briefly to "steam" the mushrooms a bit to begin breaking them down. Cook until the shallots begin to caramelize. Deglaze the pan with the soy, wine, and stock. Over medium-low heat, cook until most of the liquid has cooked off. Taste, and season with salt as needed.

You can package and freeze this if you have A LOT of mushrooms that need to be used. This is a classic stuffing mixture. I've used it to stuff steaks and chicken breasts. It's fantastic!

High Cheese

Saucier
I was thinking about this the other night from those stuffed steaks you made. I'm definately going to do something with it.