Ranges

S.Shepherd

ok....cook top or ranges ? I want a gas top, with electric oven.

I'v looked at the highend wolf. etc.

we're looking at a 36". I want atleast 1 burner that kicks alot if flame for a wok.

suggestions?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Electrolux is another good one that makes a dull fuel, gas burners with electric oven. I will be going with an induction and was looking for a range but the only one I found is a 36" for over $9K which is outrageous. I will be going with an Electrolux induction cook top and an electric in wall oven. It will still be about $4K for 30" units which is what I want.

waybomb

In Benton Harbor is a Whirlpool outlet. They regularly have 36" Stainless Steel Kitchenaid Gas cooktops. These are very nice. Go for over 3 grand in the stores. At the outlet - around a thousand. Go to the kitchenaide website and check them out/

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Perhaps not as many safety features but I'm only guessing here.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Less insulation is one thing. No bells and whistles like clocks and timers or self cleaning.
That's what I was told. That there is no insulation so it really heats up your kitchen. That cinched it for me - I stopped looking at commercial.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is the main reason I'm going induction, now wasted heat, way faster than even gas with higher heats. Electric or Convection oven which I haven't decide on yet but the induction is it for me. I can understand why these are now replacing both gas and electric in most kitchens. Hold a constant heat, all kinds of times, complete simmering heats that are accurate, so what more could you want, other than a bit cheaper sale prices and a full range model under 3K.

Last edited:

S.Shepherd

That is the main reason I'm going induction, now wasted heat, way faster than even gas with higher heats. Electric or Convection oven which I haven't decide on yet but the induction is it for me. I can understand why these are now replacing both gas and electric in most kitchens. Hold a constant heat, all kinds of times, complete simmering heats that are accurate, so what more could you want, other than a bit cheaper sale prices and a full range model under 3K.

I used to have a job forgeing--not the fake money kind. We used an induction coil to heat a 90lb billet of aluminium to 1200degrees in 5 min.
....what kind of power does the range pull? whats it do to the electric bill?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I used to have a job forgeing--not the fake money kind. We used an induction coil to heat a 90lb billet of aluminium to 1200degrees in 5 min.
....what kind of power does the range pull? whats it do to the electric bill?

Everything I read it draws 20% to 30% less than normal electric and 50%-70% less than gas. It is really is more efficient and faster. The one I'm looking at will bring 8qts of cold water to a roll boil in 90 seconds with 1/3 the power never mind the speed. I've been researching them for about 6 months now and bought a portable single burner that works on 110v. It heats 7qt of ice cold water to a roll boil inside of 8 minutes which my GE stove takes almost 30 to do. If nothing else it is faster so you need it on less. It is also safer in that it heats only the pan and doesn't have a burner so you can touch it once you move the pan.

mixfinder

Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur when using a commercial or quasi commercial range in a home without proper ventilation. The kind of draw that hood creates, would require balancing the HVAC systems to include an air make supply, another added expense. It is often at a holiday or special event when two ovens and 4 or more burner are fired up, that the carbon monoxide can build. You just thought it was the turkey that made you sleepy. Higher BTUs can be an speed advantage, if you picture a huge roaring campfire and then set your saucepan in the middle of it. Sometimes the "eye" is too big to be used efficiently with home style cookware. Induction cooking is nothing short of miraculous, but limits the cookware you can use. Home ovens are designed to bake, self clean and offer myriad features. Commercial ranges have two features, on/off. Having electric ovens for baking and big honker cook top, in gas, can be an advantage for people who do a lot of sauté or wok cooking. Plan to spend more time cleaning burned reside off the inside and outside of your cookware and lay in a supply of burn salve for those handles that are hot enough to sear, in you are using a cross over range for "testicular" cooking. Completely aside from performance, adding the clock and self cleaning feature to a commercial range, not engineered for it, has proven to be very unreliable. Super size stoves at home can be a bit like owning a race car. They look great in the garage and there's no place to open them up. Next to plaid, clean is my favorite color. I use an electric frying pan indoors and the burner on the gas grill for super frying, to keep flying grease to a minimum.

S.Shepherd

Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur when using a commercial or quasi commercial range in a home without proper ventilation. The kind of draw that hood creates, would require balancing the HVAC systems to include an air make supply, another added expense. It is often at a holiday or special event when two ovens and 4 or more burner are fired up, that the carbon monoxide can build. You just thought it was the turkey that made you sleepy. Higher BTUs can be an speed advantage, if you picture a huge roaring campfire and then set your saucepan in the middle of it. Sometimes the "eye" is too big to be used efficiently with home style cookware. Induction cooking is nothing short of miraculous, but limits the cookware you can use. Home ovens are designed to bake, self clean and offer myriad features. Commercial ranges have two features, on/off. Having electric ovens for baking and big honker cook top, in gas, can be an advantage for people who do a lot of sauté or wok cooking. Plan to spend more time cleaning burned reside off the inside and outside of your cookware and lay in a supply of burn salve for those handles that are hot enough to sear, in you are using a cross over range for "testicular" cooking. Completely aside from performance, adding the clock and self cleaning feature to a commercial range, not engineered for it, has proven to be very unreliable. Super size stoves at home can be a bit like owning a race car. They look great in the garage and there's no place to open them up. Next to plaid, clean is my favorite color. I use an electric frying pan indoors and the burner on the gas grill for super frying, to keep flying grease to a minimum.

the commercial cfm hoodvent is a given, and not wthout thought.
I've also looked at adding a teppan style griddle to our kithen.
it has nothing to do with "testicular" cooking

mixfinder

Leo is very fortunate to have the Crown double oven, gas range, made in the days when kitchens cranked out three meals a day and big dinners on Sunday. It was not my intention in sharing my thoughts, to direct them to anyone personally. It is the same diatribe I give anyone about cooking appliances at home and how much should they spend on a new equipment. Bottom line from me; bringing genuine restaurant equipment into a home kitchen may require additional venting and structure support to the floor below. Look alike restaurant appliances sold for home use, may not perform as well as a $500.00 range. Service for both, hi-end or commercial, is expensive and parts are not always readily available for specialty appliances. I have seen many male line cooks, who love to run the burners wide open and cook out of smoking sauté pans. Just push, pull and use the slightest up motion and the food in the pan turns over and continues to cook evenly. With the burners wide open, hot grease makes for a good show as flames shoot up above the range. You have to wonder if it takes longer to finish the entrée as the food was almost constantly performing acrobatics and seldom is the pan. They perform testicular cooking as they become two with the flame. As I continue to participate and feel the pattern of this group, I'll learn how to better "couch" my opinions.

PanchoHambre

As I continue to participate and feel the pattern of this group, I'll learn how to better "couch" my opinions.

No please share... without opinions=Boring

I found your info useful. Hopefully soon I will upgrade from my home cheapot range and probably buy 2nd hand so It is good to know what to consider.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
No please share... without opinions=Boring

I found your info useful. Hopefully soon I will upgrade from my home cheapot range and probably buy 2nd hand so It is good to know what to consider.
I agree. We all have different situations geographically, financially, and with our current kitchen. The best way to get what we want within our current constraints is to entertain lots of ideas. Like you Pancho, I bought a second-hand stove and it's been wonderful for me.

S.Shepherd

I was simply interested in the differences....as it seemd a huge difference in price from a commercial range to a residential......
the no timer/glass window thing isn't important.
The insulation thing worries me a bit..I'd hate to catch a wall or cabinet on fire due to it:ohmy:
The induction idea sounds great...except for the price

hell, I might just buy a huge teppan grill, and use it like a griddle/french burner :yum:

S.Shepherd

I agree. We all have different situations geographically, financially, and with our current kitchen. The best way to get what we want within our current constraints is to entertain lots of ideas. Like you Pancho, I bought a second-hand stove and it's been wonderful for me.

I' love to find a second hand teppan grill !!

Wart

Banned

Leo is very fortunate to have the Crown double oven, gas range, made in the days when kitchens cranked out three meals a day and big dinners on Sunday. It was not my intention in sharing my thoughts, to direct them to anyone personally. It is the same diatribe I give anyone about cooking appliances at home and how much should they spend on a new equipment. Bottom line from me; bringing genuine restaurant equipment into a home kitchen may require additional venting and structure support to the floor below. Look alike restaurant appliances sold for home use, may not perform as well as a $500.00 range. Service for both, hi-end or commercial, is expensive and parts are not always readily available for specialty appliances. I have seen many male line cooks, who love to run the burners wide open and cook out of smoking sauté pans. Just push, pull and use the slightest up motion and the food in the pan turns over and continues to cook evenly. With the burners wide open, hot grease makes for a good show as flames shoot up above the range. You have to wonder if it takes longer to finish the entrée as the food was almost constantly performing acrobatics and seldom is the pan. They perform testicular cooking as they become two with the flame. As I continue to participate and feel the pattern of this group, I'll learn how to better "couch" my opinions.

Geez, where to start with this.

"Couch" your opinions? LMAO!!! Why?

I have an Imperial IR-4 Restaurant Range in my home. http://www.imperialrange.com/
Sorry , no direct link. 4 x 28k btu burners, 29k btu oven.

That "testicular" thing? I guess you may have a point. Though there are far more telling indicators of "compensation" and "mid-life crisis" than having a commercial range in the kitchen.

Story is: We had an old Centurion range that I had cranked up to Crucible output. Wife didn't like that monster so she coerced me into getting a (used) conventional range. I liked that conventional output range so much I quit cooking. Wife made the mistake of thinking, since I liked cooking so much I would continue cooking no matter what crappy tool she insisted I use. Big mistake. Now I hold it over her head as an example of how when I need a particular level of tool a crappy tool will not cut it, and there is no law where I have to use any tool at my disposal. Using that crappy range was like trying to write quad core programs on a 286.

But I digress.

We went range shopping. Shore of it is the "massive" output of a homeowner commercial 18K burner was a ... joke. And the cost of the homeowner commercial units at the time started around $2,500 bucks or so. Are you frigging kidding me? And there was the rumor that cleaning a homeowner unit was a pain in the ass which was born out by my inspecting them.

So we got the Imperial. I wanted the Viking. Wife again, but I figured I was getting what I needed so I went along with it. I'm a bastard but not a fool.

Installation:

I built a alcove for this that is big enough to comfortably hold a 6 burner. The walls are 5/8 with fire breaks (2x4 between studs) and a double 5/8 cealing. There is no hood, I'm doing the roof in two years, at that time it's getting a vent. Yes, Me and TSP are friends.

This range (as well as most (?) commercial ranges) require 3/4 inch fuel line and a pressure regulator.

This thing about insulation and heat, during burn in (initial lighting of oven and stepping up in heat, the last stage being 500 degrees for 2 (?) hours, it's been a while) I could hold my hand under the range till boredom. The sides do get toasty. The back and chimney get warm.

In operation at 500 degrees the unit does not get hot enough to ignite standard flammable materials but if either regulator fails I don't want to know how hot this thing could get.

There is 1/16 inch stainless behind and under the range and about 12 inches of air space on either side.

Plan is to finish the alcove with metal 2x4's, cement board and ceramic.

Installation is only one of the reasons there is a prohibition against these things in homes.

Use:

Boy, if this isn't a double edged sword.

This range will take a 5 pound cast 8" skillet from room temp to smoking in under a minute. You may think this means pans are more prone to being burnt. I was regularly smoking pans on that low output POS range. The only pans I have ever had smoking on this range are the ones I wanted that hot.

With the low output range I would put a skillet on it, and wait for it to heat up, and wait. And Wait. Did I mention how I had to wait for the skillet to heat? Put the skillet on and use the heat time to do something else and oh yeah, skillets freaking smoking.

Thing about a range with 28k burners is YOU DON"T TURN YOUR BACK ON IT. Thats the other reason they don't want these things in houses. The freaking clueless Happy Valley types will get one of these things and treat it like it's a Kenmore.

I mean, this range WILL set your clothes on fire. I shouldn't admit it but I've had at least one smoking shirt cuff, and I've burnt the fuzzies off more than one shirt. Testicular stuff, ya know? Most of my shirts are heavy. But to wear anything frilly or light around this thing? Your begging to be set on fire.

Wife is afraid of this range. Thats good. It keeps her careful. Me? I respect it.

Issues about actual use?

Got a Bic lighter? Light it. See the flame? I have 4 of those flames as pilot lights for each burner. 16 flames total. Keeps the range top rather warm and causes issues of uneven heating at low setting cooking. I just measured the temp of a iron pan I leave sitting on the range top. Over the pilot is 175 and the opposit side is 100. Simmering something usually means over the pilot light is boiling while the rest of the pan isn't. NOTE: This is with garden variety Revere Ware copper clad. Consequently I put effort into keeping an eye on things and spinning pans around. Yes, I can buffer this by using a flat iron under the cookery.

But OTOH I can make darn good rice on this range in a old Echo copper clad.

While a simmer burner is available I don't have or apparently need one.

I can make sauces. The thing is, when making a sauce on this range that's all I'm doing, there is no wandering off or doing anything else.

This range as delivered is sweet for a Wok. The available Wok jet would make it better but once again it's an accessory that doesn't have to be had.

CO ... I have two detectors. One a night hawk with digital read out and a CO/Smoke detector in the back hall. The Night Hawk usually reads 0 but has read as high as 14 ppm and I've set off the smoke alarm but not the CO detector.

What can I say? The house must be drafty.

I have a manometer for when I build and install the exhaust hood. I believe the spec is .5 inches water (WC) pressure differential between atmosphere and in house. I want to put in a variable speed 1000+ CFM unit so I can use it for whole house evacuation.