Plating or Homestyle??

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
For the purpose of conversation, let's assume we're talking about company, regardless if the company is family or the Queen of England...

Do you plate the meal in the kitchen and then serve the guests seperately or do you bring all the platters and bowls to the table, and let the guests help themselves?

Personally, I'm a plater....have been for some time now. Got my daughter hooked on that, too.

High Cheese

Saucier
Plater. I like to pre-slice things like chicken breast and steaks first instead of having a big hunk-o-meat on your dish. I also found I eat less that way. The DW and I can share a 8-10 oz NY Strip.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I spend so much time on the table settings that I don't care for the platters to clutter the look, either.

chowhound

I think it does make a difference if the company is family or royalty, as one method (plating) seems more formal and allows for presentation, but since you are asking to overlook this, I'll say let them serve themselves. I wouldn't want to put something on a plate that someone would not have served themself if they had the choice.

PanchoHambre

I cant think of ever plating... maybe once or twice but entertaining has always been a casual thing for me... In the living room or in the backyard. Also home style lets people pick and choose what they want and how they want to eat it. I also tend to cook casual foods.

edit... and if royalty wanted to come visit they get the same.... this is how I live... you don't like it...:moon:...

Potential future in-laws though they would get whatever She wants

Last edited:

homecook

I use the platter method. I'm with chowhound, in that I don't want to put too little or too much on someone's plate. In my house, it's "get your own", company or otherwise. I do like to set a nice table so I try to use the serving dishes to compliment. The only thing I do seem to plate is dessert.

Barb

buckytom

Grill Master
we have 4 methods.

if it's just dw and i and a close friend or two, we make our own plates from the dishes on the stove.

with company that's not seen as often, and if it's easily plate-able, then so it is.

if it lends itself to family style, then it goes into serving bowls and platters, and served a la familia.

when the queen of england comes to dinner, she gets to eat out of the trough in the back yard!!!

TIOCFAIDH AR LA!!!!! :patty:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
it all depends on the mood i am in and the food i am serving...and how many people i am serving

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Homestyle. Never a plater.

Interesting question, though. One that has never even appeared on my radar!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm a plater also except when I have more than a few people here such as any holiday. Then we put it out and let them take their own. Oh and you will never see a garnish on a plate I serve unless it is part of the food. I have no use for fancy plated foods in piles in the middle with some kind of fluid or spice spilled on the plate.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I don't tend to plate. Put it in attractive serving sihes and let people get their own, or serve from the head of the table. To avoid cluttering the table, we used to have a hostess trolley which sat at the side.

babe

when it is just me, i plate from stove. company like i am having tonight. i plate the salad and dessert. the rest in nice serving bowls. they can take as much or as little as they like, and then can serve themselves seconds.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I cant think of ever plating... maybe once or twice but entertaining has always been a casual thing for me...

You aren't alone in the thought that plating = less casual. I don't see it that way, but I believe I'm in the minority.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
DW and I plate as there is not enough room on the table because of all the wine bottles. :yum:

When we have a big crowd we serve buffet style.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Interesting question, Vera. Here in our community of expats from all over the US and Canada (mostly) we tend to get together for dinner alot. We have one set of friends (they are from Austin, TX) who always plate the food for company. Others serve buffet style; others serve family style. The Canadians almost always plate. I think these are regional variations. If the entree is one "thing" per person, e.g., chiles en nogada, I plate. If it is lasagana, I serve it at the table. Sometimes, the presentation is better on platters, sometimes on plates. I guess that dictates what I end up doing. When we are entertained in a Mexican home, BTW, they always plate. If I am serving Mexican friends, I plate as well. "Family style" is apparently not part of the food culture here.

PanchoHambre

You aren't alone in the thought that plating = less casual. I don't see it that way, but I believe I'm in the minority.

No I see that...my old housemate usually plated even though guests were sitting on a bed or floor 1/2 the time(nyc apartments get used creatively). She liked to it was part of her meal....also she is a bit of a control freak.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Just the opposite at our house. I plate for weekdays and homestyle for weekends and company.

Also tha l you for telling what the correct name for that style of servi h is.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have done both depending upon my mood and how many I am serving. In fact, I have done a combination for larger family meals when there are several courses because I want folks to be able to get seconds of what they want.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

I thought he meant he didn't plate often because he prefers a more casual (I.E. Homestyle) method of entertaining?

Ok, so that I'm clear:

Plating is to make everyone's plates for them and serve.
Homestyle is to just put all the food in the middle of the table and everyone digs in.

Right?

For DW and I, we plate nearly every meal, but for large get together, it's homestyle. That way I don't waste putting food on someone's plate that might not want it.

simplicity

I serve different ways. It depends on who is present, how many are present, what type of food I'm serving and what I perceive as their expectations.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Home style here, but then we have never held a formal dinner. I suppose if we held a formal dinner I might, but then how do I know how much of each serving they want or whether or not they want one thing and not another?

leolady

I eat out of the kitchen with family and close friends. For more elegant soires, we always do a buffet.