App for Iphones and Droids Installed

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just for those who like to keep up with the forums on their smart phone. I just installed ForumRunner. It works better than other phone apps I have seen. For the iPhone it costs $1.99. A one time fee. You can then use it for as many forums as you like. A good deal for the price.
Not sure if it is free for droid or not. Once someone with a droid finds out if there is a cost or not please post here so we all know.

Also I welcome comments on whether or not you like this app.

Just browse to NCT on your phone and it will notify you of the forum runner app and let you buy it if you choose.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A member on FF told me it does cost 1.99 for Forumrunner on the droid also, same as the iPhone.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I was 90% through buying it for my Droid when I fat fingered a key and it all went blank. Yes, it does cost $1.99.

I plan to try it.

I tried , what was it Tapetalk or something like that I could not get it to do anything I liked.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I don't understand Forum based apps. . . if you have full web capabilities on the smartphone, well, why not just use it as the site is?

Most vBulletin based forums are easily handled by modern smartphones, no app needed.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I installed tapatalk here a few months back. I paid $1.99 for it, just like forumrunner. I did not care for tapatalk at all. Like Uncle Ralph said, the phones can display the forums on the internet browsing app, so why go to something else? I agreed with Uncle Ralph and let it go at that. Since that time and after doing a good bit of browsing with my iPhone Safari browser I noticed the issues one runs into. Having to stretch the screen as the print to small but then you cannot read a whole line at once, so you have to scroll from side to side. Hard to click on the little arrow to go to the last post in a thread or click the new posts button unless you enlarge the whole screen. Constant resizing.

I manage a couple other forums that are not mine and some of the users on one of those forums requested forum runner be installed. They preferred it to the phone browsers or anything else. I set it up and installed it for them, and to test it I had to try it out. I liked it a whole lot better than tapatalk. I know one of my mods here (Andy) reads a lot from his smartphone so I thought this might be the perfect app for him and others who like to browse with their phone.

The part that makes me feel bad is that Andy or someone mentioned forumrunner to me months ago and I never got around to checking it out / installing it on one of my test forums. I dropped the ball there, but at least we have it now.

Uncle Ralph does make a good point. Those who just browse occasionally with their phone can probably get by with the installed internet browsing app that comes with their smartphone. But, if you are commuting daily on a train or bus and like to catch up on the forums Forum Runner appears to make for a better browsing experience.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK, I have it installed. I have not had the chance to play with it yet. Note to self - Software on a smartphone is easier to install when you are not on a bouncing bus.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I look forward to your review. At first I thought you could not get to private messages but on the iPhone there is a messages tab at the bottom. Clicking that takes me into my PM's. I have not tried to compose anything on mine yet.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have not seen a way to change text size, but I have not used it that much.
Anyone else?