BREAKING NEWS: East Coast Earthquake

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
5.8 earthquake - Epicenter in Mineral, Virginia. Felt in DC, PA, NY, NJ and Ohio. CNN is reporting now. WE FELT IT!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Memebers in these ares PLEASE check in ASAP so we know you are alright.

Many buildings in DC and NY were evacing (memories of 911).

We felt it for about a minute, scary as heck. The cat was acting crazy for a bit before.

This is the second east coast quake I have felt and remember. The other one was in the early 80's.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Felt it here Peeps, as a small tremor that lasted a couple of seconds.
Gretchen barked, then paced around for a little while.
Wow..

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
We're @ 100 miles N of Mineral. Whole house vibrated and shook for 8 to 10 seconds. At first I thought it was a high wind.

The dogs barked and the horses ran around a little but stopped when the tremors stopped.

Everything seems to be ok here though.

Jim

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was in a meeting and we all felt it. The whole floor shook. It went on for a good bit. Eery feeling for sure. No damage that I know of so far.

K

Kimchee

I was sitting here in Raleigh NC, instant messaging my wife in Indiana, when my chair started shaking! It lasted for about 5 seconds or so. I messaged my wife about it, and about then, SHE felt it too!
Very freaky.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Re: 6.0 Quake hits VA!

You beat me to it Peepers. I merged the threads.

Magnitude 6.0 quake hits Mineral, VA. Felt all along the eastern coast. Capitol and Pentagon evacuated. They said chandeliers were swinging in the White House. It was felt from Virginia to Boston :ohmy:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/23/us-quake-usa-idUSTRE77M67120110823

Did you have any damage Peepers?
WE FELT IT!! Cat went crazy and ran away to hide. No damage or power outage here. I haven't gone outside but haven't heard any sirens.

Deelady

I didn't feel it...either my kids were jumping on me or because being from California I am so use to them that I didn't pay it any mind.
Glad everyone is ok!!

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
The scary thing is that the center of the quake isn't very far from Dominion Power's Lake Anna Nuke plant. The initial report is no damage and they have successfully shut down the plant.

Jim

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Just checked the map, I don't know the exact location of the Lake Anna plant but the closest part of the lake to Mineral is less than 10 miles.

They've also shut down the next nearest plant in Surry County, probably 150 miles or so away.

Jim

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Felt it in my office chair in Boston. I thought I was having a bout of vertigo.

Lee

Nancy-MD

We felt it here in central MD. I had pictures on the walls askew, some things fell off of my baker's rack in the kitchen, contents of two shelves in a spare bedroom had the contents shaken onto the floor and the drawers in my bedroom nightstands and dressers were shaken open! I was pretty surprised at all of that.

It was really strong feeling and lasted not quite a minute. But when it's happening, those seconds seem like forever! This is the third earthquake I've experienced in MD and this was by far the worst one.

Nothing was broken and no living being harmed! My cat was pretty flipped out though.

Glad everyone else that reported in is okay!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That's got to be very scary! Of course, I didn't feel a thing either. Glad you guys are ok.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I pirated this off another cooking forum..:good::yum:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/se/082311a/us/index.html

se082311a_ciim_zoomout.jpg

Leni

That quake was unusually shallow. No wonder it was felt over a large area. What can I say Deelady. A little reminder of California.

Well, apart from being disappointed that Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, & Jeanette MacDonald weren't climbing the hill belting out "San Francisco" (classic earthquake movie), myself & the critters are okay. Cockatoo was screaming like a coal-mine canary, dogs huddled on the bed, cats disappeared under the furniture, & the horses didn't even seem to blink. Go figure. However, pretty much everything that wasn't bolted down inside my house is now on the floor, thanks to being only about 45-60 minutes away from the epicenter. Sigh. If I was looking for a reason to do a really deep housecleaning, I now have the opportunity in spades.

Touched base with my elderly neighbor to make sure she was okay, & she said that she heard that the town of Culpeper (about 8 miles from us) was hit pretty bad. One historic pre-Civil-War era building came partially down, & several others have serious structural damage. A real shame.

I got most of the broken glass up, but there are still PILES of books, dvds, pictures, pots, pans, - you name it - in piles everywhere. Except for one bathroom, every single room looks like it's been ransacked. The worst was that the big living room tv bit the dust, along with some of hubby's other media equipment. I managed to catch the bedroom tv before it wobbled off the dresser, as well as the computer.

When hubby got home, the thought of cooking was too depressing, so we went out to eat & see how bad Culpeper town got hit. What a shame. Except for the outskirts the whole torn is cordoned off with those cement barricades & what must be thousands of yards of danger/crime scene tape. Many folks were walking around the outskirts along with us. Looks like pretty much all of the lovely historic pre-Civil War buildings have serious structural damage. Lots of brick-work down. They had firetrucks & emergency equipment from 3 counties on all the streets. What a mess. I feel really sorry for all the small wonderful restaurants & businesses there - in this economy even a small forced loss of business must be devastating.

Looks to be a lovely day here today, but guess I'll be spending it indoors putting my house back together.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad to hear you are okay Breezy. That was close for sure. Good luck with the clean up.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Well, apart from being disappointed that Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, & Jeanette MacDonald weren't climbing the hill belting out "San Francisco" (classic earthquake movie), myself & the critters are okay. Cockatoo was screaming like a coal-mine canary, dogs huddled on the bed, cats disappeared under the furniture, & the horses didn't even seem to blink. Go figure. However, pretty much everything that wasn't bolted down inside my house is now on the floor, thanks to being only about 45-60 minutes away from the epicenter. Sigh. If I was looking for a reason to do a really deep housecleaning, I now have the opportunity in spades.

Touched base with my elderly neighbor to make sure she was okay, & she said that she heard that the town of Culpeper (about 8 miles from us) was hit pretty bad. One historic pre-Civil-War era building came partially down, & several others have serious structural damage. A real shame.

I got most of the broken glass up, but there are still PILES of books, dvds, pictures, pots, pans, - you name it - in piles everywhere. Except for one bathroom, every single room looks like it's been ransacked. The worst was that the big living room tv bit the dust, along with some of hubby's other media equipment. I managed to catch the bedroom tv before it wobbled off the dresser, as well as the computer.

When hubby got home, the thought of cooking was too depressing, so we went out to eat & see how bad Culpeper town got hit. What a shame. Except for the outskirts the whole torn is cordoned off with those cement barricades & what must be thousands of yards of danger/crime scene tape. Many folks were walking around the outskirts along with us. Looks like pretty much all of the lovely historic pre-Civil War buildings have serious structural damage. Lots of brick-work down. They had firetrucks & emergency equipment from 3 counties on all the streets. What a mess. I feel really sorry for all the small wonderful restaurants & businesses there - in this economy even a small forced loss of business must be devastating.

Looks to be a lovely day here today, but guess I'll be spending it indoors putting my house back together.
I am glad you and all your furry friends are ok. RIP electronics.

So sorry that the town lost some of it's historic structures. BUT now THIS is part of it's history.

Leni

Been there, done that. Don't be too quick to throw away broken things. A lot of them can be repaired. After the Northridge earthquake the businesses that specialize in that had up to five years worth of work.

GotGarlic

I hope GotGarlic checks in soon.

Thanks for thinking of me, Mama :smile: We definitely felt it here, but I don't think there's any damage. We have a forecaster friend who is much more worried about Irene.

Breezy, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your house, but I'm relieved you and DH are okay.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You're welcome GG. I'm so glad everyone is okay. I hate it that you lost all of that stuff Breezy.

Now we just all need to make it through this next disaster called Irene. I have a sister near the outer banks and another one in the DC area.