Ingredients:

4-5 medium sized potatoes, cut into 1” pieces, skin on
2 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp Seasoned Salt
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning

Preparation:

Preheat a large cast iron skillet in a 400 degree oven. Once the skillet is hot, put the potatoes into a large Tupperware bowl that has a lid. To the bowl, add the remaining ingredients, put the lid on, then shake the bowl vigorously to coat. Once well coated, dump the potatoes into the hot skillet, and arrange them so that they are in one layer. Bake undisturbed for 30-35 minutes. They develop a nice crust on the side the touches the skillet, and are very flavorful and tender.

Notes:
This is a great and simple side dish that works well with many main courses.

When it comes to seasoning the potatoes, I’ve roughly estimate the amount used since I never measure it but instead just shake it into the bowl until it looks right! I tend to add more seasoned salt than the other spices since I want the Seasoned Salt to change the potatoes to a reddish color once I shake them up (that color is how I know I’ve got the right amount!).

Also, you want to wait until the last minute to do this. If you cut them up and season them too soon and let them sit while the pan is getting hot, the potatoes leak moisture which pushes all of the oil and seasoning off the potatoes, so wait till the pan is ready before you start prepping this.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have done the same thing in the bottom of a broiler pan. A bit of olive oil, high heat, herbs of my choice...and a lovely side dish or dinner if I am being particularly lazy.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Yes, definitely turns out good done this way! When we are having steaks I like to put in EVOO and Montreal Steak Seasoning so it matches the steaks flavor base.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We did these tonight with the Spatchcock Cornish hen! Here are some pics. I added some Paprika to the mix tonight, so extra color and flavor!

1. Oil and season the potatoes, then shake vigorously
2n0qblt.jpg

2. Pour into HOT cast iron skillet. Note: That is a Griswold CI pan from grandma!
2gwx7jr.jpg

3. Bake till nicely browned and done.
21nijv6.jpg

lilylove

I made these for dinner tonight and they were GREAT!!!

Thank you Keltin!! Another winning recipe! I'll make them again for sure!!!!!!!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I made these for dinner tonight and they were GREAT!!!

Thank you Keltin!! Another winning recipe! I'll make them again for sure!!!!!!!!

So glad you liked them! They are easy aren't they! :lol:

I added Paprika to that last batch. Very versatile!

suziquzie

I'll have to try those tonight with my pork roast!

Not sure my CI will hold enough potatoes to feed this crew tho.... Oh well I'll just have to put everyone on a diet.
:)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You can do them on a cookie sheet, just don't heat the cookie sheet up first. :smile:

And make sure the sheet has sides, or the oil will run off and cause mess.

homecook

Keltin, wanted to let you know I made your potatoes tonight for dinner. They were outstanding!! Dh even liked them and he's not a big potato eater........will definitely be making these again! Thank you!

I had to fry mine instead of bake bacause I was already using the oven. They were still very good!!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've been looking at this thread off and on and yes, they look fab!
I have all those seasonings and I'll try them.

Wondering though.. what if you used Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix in the packet and shook the potatoes up then baked them.. would that work too?

I like to experiment with potatoes.

homecook

Wondering though.. what if you used Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix in the packet and shook the potatoes up then baked them.. would that work too?

You know I think I've seen a recipe that did that.....try it and see. These were really good!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, wanted to let you know I made your potatoes tonight for dinner. They were outstanding!! Dh even liked them and he's not a big potato eater........will definitely be making these again! Thank you!

I had to fry mine instead of bake bacause I was already using the oven. They were still very good!!

Hloy Carp! That looks outstanding! Great job!!!! You rock!!!

I'm so glad you liked them!! :clap:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

That is incredibly interesting! I say go for it!

Does the dry mix call for water? If it's only oil, then it shouldn't be a problem. If it calls for water, it may be a bit concentrated, but still, I'd try it!!! And post a report!!! :thumb:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That is incredibly interesting! I say go for it!

Does the dry mix call for water? If it's only oil, then it shouldn't be a problem. If it calls for water, it may be a bit concentrated, but still, I'd try it!!! And post a report!!! :thumb:

Well, I used to put chicken breasts in a bag of the Hidden Valley Ranch dry seasoning pack of the dressing mix, Keltin and shake it, then bake them.
Figured it might work for potatoes as well.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well, I used to put chicken breasts in a bag of the Hidden Valley Ranch dry seasoning pack of the dressing mix, Keltin and shake it, then bake them.
Figured it might work for potatoes as well.

The more you talk about this, the more I HAVE to try it. This really sounds awesome!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
The more you talk about this, the more I HAVE to try it. This really sounds awesome!
I'd think we'd have to toss the taters in a little oil, or spray them with an oil before shaking.. whatcha think?
I'm going to try it too... fo sho!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thanks FM.. call me an idiot :dizzy::thumb: LOL
Oh no, Sass - I had no idea either! But I thought the idea was a really good one so I wanted to find out if you needed oil or not and Google sent me there! It just means you should be working for the Hidden Valley folks!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Oh no, Sass - I had no idea either! But I thought the idea was a really good one so I wanted to find out if you needed oil or not and Google sent me there! It just means you should be working for the Hidden Valley folks!

haha!! yes, I should have Googled my brilliant idea first.. :shock::blush:
Dayum... pwned by Hidden Valley! ishhh!!