NCT needs a little assistance

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
One of the things that draws traffic to a site is having related links.

We have a link page both to serve our members and to help us in the rankings.

Would you guys take a look at the page and help us out?

First, does anyone have any suggestions on organization, any categories we don't have, etc . . .

Second are there any other links we should add? I've tried keeping up withg the ones mentioned in posts but they are coming a little too fast. Would you repost them in this thread?

The link page is accessed from the main NCT page.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
:oops: it may be tomorrow before I can start making changes/additions. I'm having a little ftp trouble :bonk:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I already sent Doc the following:
Baking and Pastry Arts (main forum name)
Subforum names:

Bar Cookies and Brownies

Bread

Buckles, Cobblers, Crisps, Dumplings, Grunts, Pandowdy and Slumps

Cakes, Cupcakes, Roulades, and Tortes

Candy

Cheesecakes

Cookies

Custards, Mousses and Puddings

Dacquoise and Meringue

Ice Cream

Pastries

Pies and Tarts

Quick Breads and Muffins

(He said that it would take a little time. It is why I am only posting a few recipes now. I don't want him to have to figure out what to move to where--I don't know if he is a baker or who amongst the mods is one, either)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All I see on the link page at the moment is a photo of Paul Prudhomme, Jim.

Lee

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, those are for Doc since they are internal to the Forum.

I'm working on a web page with links to external sites. Click here to take a look.

Jim

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
All I see on the link page at the moment is a photo of Paul Prudhomme, Jim.

Lee

yep, ol Paul is on there. do a refresh and see if that helps. Theres a page or so of links.

Jim

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
broken link

forgot, the link to Emeril's Recipe Database is broken.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I'm still just getting Paul after the refresh... I'll try again in the morning Jim.

well, just paul isn't bad. He's good!

What browser are you using? I can see it in Internet exploder and Firefox.

Jim

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
So basically you are looking to put links on that page that lead back here? If so, I would add a fun page there as well so they can see not only that we have recipes and resources but also fun.
And I would concentrate the links on the forums not any subforums. Like links to a BBQ forum, Baking forum, gardening forum, etc etc. so they can see up front the main stuff we have to offer.

PanchoHambre

Hey Doc. I was thinking that there are some of people who post here with some great knowledge /skills and abilities as well as humor would there be a way to add some content to the front end of the site based on that. I don't know if there is an easy way to do this because I don't know much about web stuff. back in the day I posed on a music forum and started writing live reviews for them. It was fun to contribute to the site and I was going to the shows anyway. I don't know if there is a way to sort of hook up some of the talented posters with a venue to create content that would be cost effective and simple to manage on your end. Or a way to link up blogs or something that are hosted elsewhere. Some sites (won't mention names) are really against anyone being promotional of their blog/business but I think it could be cool and and interest. I don't have an agenda here because I don't have my own to offer but it is just a thought.

On links... what about some of the specialty cookware shops like Broadway Panhandler and Fante's (I am sure most cities have them those are the two I know) that may not get as much web action as big retailers but have web business and loyal customers.

For food sites two that come to mind are worlds healthiest foods and menupages (maybe that's jut NY don't know if they are expanding) those are two I find myself at alot.

another place to find foodies is say the web pages of food related shopping districts and markets again I can only go regional for myself but Arthur Ave in the BX or Philly's Italian Market but again they are everywhere.

Dont know if this helps or addresses your questions but keep throwing things out there and we'll keep brainstorming for you

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I can't see the links either. Just a big white page and a small pic on the right. I'm using IE7.

But....it works in Google Chrome and FireFox. Odd......

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I can't see the links either. Just a big white page and a small pic on the right. I'm using IE7.

But....it works in Google Chrome and FireFox. Odd......

That is odd. Usually things work (at least after a fashion) in ie and Firefox and don't work in Google Chrome.

There's nothing odd about the page, it''s straight html with a table to hold the positions of the labels and links.

Jim

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
No links here either. Did you upload it?

:hide:

yep, it's been there since March. I haven't updated it in a couple of months.

Here's a screen capture (snagit with Firefox)

Attachments

• nct_link_page.jpg
    nct_link_page.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 32

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here's a screenshot from IE7. Is some plugin or alt application required in IE7? I know I've disabled a few.

Attachments

• No_Links.jpg
    No_Links.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 32

FryBoy

Running FF3 under Vista Home Premium 64-Bit, and I can see all the links.

You need to add a section for knife dealers and information.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Same as FryBoy here. FF3 under Vista Home Premium 64-bit.
Good idea Fryboy, that would be a good addition to the links.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Mum could it be the text color? Maybe try good ple black for a test.

anythings possible, the colours are picked to match the forum. I can't access via ftp right now, should be fixed soon.

Jim

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I cleared my cookies and cache and still can only see the picture of Chef Pru at the far right side of my screen.
Sorry/Pie Susan